Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is probably not as serious as the post sounds, but:

I'm currently in a relationship with a girl I love (and she loves me), and feel I want to know everything about her and her know all about me.

Unfortunately, I lied to her about a few things before we got together which I've kept lying to her about. Basically, I made my relationship history sounds more colourful than it is, by saying that one of my friends was actually an ex-girlfriend. We (this friend and I) used to live together, but never slept together as I have claimed.

Yes, this is pathetic, I know. And the annoying thing is it's completely pointless a thing to lie about, but relationship history is one of those things people seem to think is more important than it actually is. If I could tell her this one thing than I could think to myself that I've never lied to her about anything important, which would be great. But obviously there are downsides to telling her too.

Clearly this is not like admitting to cheating, but it is a slight breach of trust. So I'd like to know whether people think it's best to come clean or not?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Come clean!
    You don't want it to come out later and then everything would be all asdfgjwgdawgdwa

If y'all love each other then she should be ok with it.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you lied about it, were you and her close? If not, it's definitely forgivable, she shouldn't feel betrayed as your relationship was different then. The longer you keep lying, the more upset she'll be when she finds out though so tell her ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    Best to come clean. If she loves you she won't really care as much as you think she will.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely tell her,it's in the past,she loves you & you her so don't worry.

(Original post by joker12345)
    When you lied about it, were you and her close? If not, it's definitely forgivable, she shouldn't feel betrayed as your relationship was different then. The longer you keep lying, the more upset she'll be when she finds out though so tell her ASAP!
    When I first lied about it we were just friends. But I've maintained consistency on this. We've been seeing each other for almost a year now, so it seems a stupid thing to have done now.

If your boyfriend told you something like this, would you be annoyed? There was a reason for the lie - my relationship past is embarrassingly sparse and I thought at the time that mattered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I first lied about it we were just friends. But I've maintained consistency on this. We've been seeing each other for almost a year now, so it seems a stupid thing to have done now.

If your boyfriend told you something like this, would you be annoyed? There was a reason for the lie - my relationship past is embarrassingly sparse and I thought at the time that mattered.
    I'd think it's pretty understandable to be honest - people are often embarrassed by things like that and once you lied you wouldn't want to go back on it! I'd be a little annoyed that you didn't tell me sometime in the last year, but just apologise and say you were embarrassed and I'm sure she'll be fine with it.

(Original post by joker12345)
    I'd think it's pretty understandable to be honest - people are often embarrassed by things like that and once you lied you wouldn't want to go back on it! I'd be a little annoyed that you didn't tell me sometime in the last year, but just apologise and say you were embarrassed and I'm sure she'll be fine with it.
    Great - unfortunately she's in New Zealand at the moment so I'll have to email her with the details, but I'll do this. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Probably best to come clean, if you told that lie when you and your girlfriend first started dating then it's more forgivable as well.

She will more than likely laugh it off and just think it was silly to lie about and be glad that you felt the need to tell her the truth, it shows you feel guilt which is a good thing!
    But if you keep the lie going and later down the line she finds out it isn't true, she will be more hurt as to why you never told her the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Great - unfortunately she's in New Zealand at the moment so I'll have to email her with the details, but I'll do this. Cheers.
    No, tell her in person. The fact that you lied about your love-life and sustained it for this long, would make you seem weak and insecure to your girlfriend. If you told her by email you'd come across as even more insecure and frightened. Face up to the challenges and problems; don' t dig your head in the sand and hope they'll go away if you send an email.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her over Skype?

(Original post by Blutooth)
    No, tell her in person. The fact that you lied about your love-life and sustained it for this long, would make you seem weak and insecure to your girlfriend. If you told her by email you'd come across as even more insecure and frightened. Face up to the challenges and problems; don' t dig your head in the sand and hope they'll go away if you send an email.
    I want to, but she's gonna be over 10000 miles away for the next two months, so the only option is to Skype.

ReputationRep:
    I want to, but she's gonna be over 10000 miles away for the next two months, so the only option is to Skype.
    Tell her when she gets back. But she probably won't mind at all. I'd just do it in a more confident way.

ReputationRep:
    Really should stop assuming every relationships thread title is a dirty reference. I'm disappointed yet again.

Well, her response was 'don't worry, I love you'.

Thanks for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    Well, her response was 'don't worry, I love you'.

Thanks for your advice.
    See told you if she loves you she would not have cared alot :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.