Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal to feel jealous about a partner's ex boyfriends / girlfriends?

This isn't an emotion that occurs much with my girlfriend, but when she mentions anything that relates to previous sexual experiences, I have an adverse, visceral reaction. Part of it is also wanting to share experiences together - for example, I have a similar feeling when we go to a place that she's been to predominantly with an ex.

I know, of course, this cant be helped (most people have had a history with someone else), but this doesn't seem to override the initial gut disappointment that occurs.

Do other people feel this (and how do you manage it)?

To put this into context, I haven't had that many girlfriends before, so a lot of the stuff we do together is new to me

...not just sexual.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is pretty normal but there isn't too much you can do about it. But if anything, don't go on about it to her because all that'll do is push her away from you and just ruin the relationship. Talk to her about it in a casual manner, she might like that you're a little jealous, it'll make her feel wanted (I don't know, I know some girls feel like that) but she won't like obsessive jealous.

Obsessive jealousy is not healthy.

Just try not to think about it, she's with you because she wants to be with you not them. So try not to worry about it

ReputationRep:
    id say its normal, i get a bit upset not so much jealous when i do something special for my boyfriend or we go somewhere and he says 'oh my ex ' becuase everybody wants to be the first person their partner has every loved of course this is never the case

(Original post by SillyMilly)
    id say its normal, i get a bit upset not so much jealous when i do something special for my boyfriend or we go somewhere and he says 'oh my ex ' becuase everybody wants to be the first person their partner has every loved of course this is never the case
    Exactly. It particularly feels bad when we talk about sexual things we could do and she says something like 'yeah, that's good' when I'm thinking 'I want to explore these things with you'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Exactly. It particularly feels bad when we talk about sexual things we could do and she says something like 'yeah, that's good' when I'm thinking 'I want to explore these things with you'.
    im a bit like that as my boyfriends been with alot of woman wheras ive had one boyfriend before him, its hard but you have to think shes with you now so clearly its you she wants to be with your in the present and they are in the past

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.