Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last year summer I weighed myself and I weighed in at around 8 stones/112 lb, which has always been my optimum. Recently, my family have been saying how thin I look, not the good kind, I look sickly apparently. I've noticed my clothes, especially my skinny jeans, are now loose and baggy. When I weighed myself again in around January/February I was 7.8 stones, around 48 kg. I weighed myself again and I am now 100 lb/45kg/7.2 stones. I haven't been exercising or trying to lose weight. I do walk a lot on a daily basis though. However, I've been eating normal and most of what I eat is junk food. Is this a lot of weight to lose within a month or so?

I went to the Doctors about this and the fact I've been easily bruising, and they've done some blood tests which I am waiting to hear the results of. My Doctor took my blood pressure as I have hypertension, diabetes and cholesterol all over my family history (I've had anaemia before) and he told me he thinks I have been stressing to the point it is detrimental to my health, what with A Levels, my strict parents and general life. I do know I worry all the time, there is always some sort of worry at the back of my mind and I try so hard to get rid of it but it's there.

I want to believe him when he says it's the stress, but I keep reading into my symptoms and finding leukaemia a very possible scenario. I'm just really scared.

ReputationRep:
    I understand your worry, but I think the best thing to do now is wait for the results from the Doctor before you take it further. Or you could also tell your Doctor about your concerns that it may be leukaemia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninalicious97)
    I understand your worry, but I think the best thing to do now is wait for the results from the Doctor before you take it further. Or you could also tell your Doctor about your concerns that it may be leukaemia.
    Thank you!
    I just called up and found out my blood test results came back as all normal. It's a big relief but I'm still so confused about the weight loss, so it is most likely stress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euthymic)
    Thank you!
    I just called up and found out my blood test results came back as all normal. It's a big relief but I'm still so confused about the weight loss, so it is most likely stress?
    Yeah I would say it is stress. Seeing as A-levels is a big thing, I think most people would suffer from stress. Maybe you could try looking at relaxation levels to keep you less stressed. I'm sure this will help for revision when the time comes as your mind would be more clear.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should start keeping a food diary, because it's quite easy to end up eating a lot less than you think you do. Then maybe you could take it to the doctors with you.
    You did the right thing by going to the doctors but I would worry too much about it for now because it could just be stress.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.