Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

attacks on alternative people to be classed hate crime Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.kerrangradio.co.uk/music/...te-crimes-gmp/

So Attacks on members of alternative subcultures, such as emos, punks, metallers and goths, are to be treated as hate crimes by a UK police force in Manchester.

Just wondering what TSR thinks of this considering the attack on Sarah Lancaster?

Too much or should it become more widespread.

I know a few of my old friends in the old goth metal scene who would think this is ludicrously funny but then long haired bikers built like tanks dont really have much to fear from skinny it crowd, chavs and ganstas.

But for some scrawny little emo kid - might come in handy

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if it is a hate crime, I'm still going to hate scene kids.

Besides, this isn't something they can't control. They choose to be alternative or whatnot. And it's stupid that they're telling us we can't hate someone for their personality.

ReputationRep:
    hmm although i obviously disagree with people being hurt and murdered because of the way they look i don't agree that they should be classed as hate crimes.

its insulting to people who are targeted because of their race, sexuality or disability because they can't actually chose otherwise. goths/emos etc chose to dress this way and i'm not in any way suggesting that they deserve to be targeted or bullied but they chose do look the way they do, dress to look different and they dress to shock etc whatever reason they chose they decide at the end of the day and there are always going to be people who dislike others because they are different and i'm not suggesting they change because of the pressures of society but because their style is controversial and subjective (like many things nowadays) and therefore open to criticism. i know i have some weird tastes in clothes so i expect people to dislike what i wear sometimes but that's just what happens nowadays.

if someone attacked me because they didn't like my clothes or my hair i wouldn't be able to plead a hate crime. neither would other people who chose a certain genre of appearance, so therefore in order to make it fair can't we just class attacking people based on appearances a hate crime? plenty of people of a certain weight also get targeted but there is no protection for them either. i dunno really just think it should be classed as a hate crime for people of all appearances rather than just one group of people.

ReputationRep:
    I find this to be rather ridiculous. It's probably just going to marginalise these people even more because it's essentially saying that they're not normal people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you are eventually going to end up with any attack on someone other than a straight white man is a hate crime. I think properly enforced generic laws work best, these new age crimes, to cover specifically motivated common crime just seem a bit ad hoc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit conflicted on this. On the one hand, it does essentially make it a hate crime. It doesn't matter if they chose to be how they are, they're still ATTACKED for being something different.

On the other hand, you could probably divide the whole population into billions of subgroups and make crimes against each of them a hate crime. At school everyone picked at everyone for anything remotely different, and real life is not that different except people don't explicitly say so.

ReputationRep:
    There should be laws passed against becoming a goth or a emo or whatever they are these days. They contribute nothing to society, smoking pot and listening to heavy rock music in their bedroom. Real people have told me they feel threatened when they walk down the streets, seeing them in their black clothes and metal studs about their faces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I don't care if it is a hate crime, I'm still going to hate scene kids.

Besides, this isn't something they can't control. They choose to be alternative or whatnot. And it's stupid that they're telling us we can't hate someone for their personality.
    It's not saying you can't hate them. It's not illegal to hate them. It's illegal to assault them, as it always has been. The difference is the police might treat it as a hate crime if you do. To be honest, I'm not sure what difference that actually makes, maybe it means you might get a harsher sentence.

(Original post by robbmann)
    There should be laws passed against becoming a goth or a emo or whatever they are these days. They contribute nothing to society, smoking pot and listening to heavy rock music in their bedroom. Real people have told me they feel threatened when they walk down the streets, seeing them in their black clothes and metal studs about their faces.
    It's all about perception though. I personally feel less threatened by goths/emos than by others.

I see the argument that it shouldn't count as a hate crime because being a goth is a choice. But religion is also a choice, and that's considered grounds for a hate crime. Being a muslim is also a sort of subculture, it just happens to be one that involves worshiping a god.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.