Weight loss by not eating? Watch

Orange_123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Now before anyone jumps at me to say that this is an unhealthy way to lose weight...I KNOW! I'm aware that it's not the best way to lose weight, but i just want to lose weight really quickly at the moment. I'm going to the gym twice/three times a week, so i AM doing exercise.

I'm a UK size 12, not really sure about my weight..probably about 9 or 9 and 1/2 stones. I want to noticeably lose weight fast - i wanted to know by drinking water + going to the gym twice a week + eating one meal a day, how much can i expect to lose? and how quickly?

Has anyone else tried to lose weight by doing this? How did it work out?
If anyone knows of other ways to properly lose weight quickly, then i'm up for listening.

Thanks.
Valentas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1) It's called fasting. Which is not bad but requires tremendous willpower. Especially on day 2-3 when you want to eat. Usually, fasting is used as a way to help body detoxicate itself. It's natural way to lose fat, toxins and other crap from your body. If you want to try this out, use 24-hour fasts. It will not harm your body and you'll then can to try to prolong fasting period. A lot of people in the world are using this method but most doctors and media call it as 'harmful' though they never tried it out themselves..

2) I recommend to not fast. It's better to eat healthy foods because diets and fasting may end in stuffing yourself after a period of torture. I advise you to start from this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-China-Stud...he+china+study

It will give you background into what foods are better then others and help you to make decisions for a healthier diet. After that, try Fuhrman's books on health: http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Amazi...+fuhrman+books

This guy genuinely wants to help you. He provides recipes, research results which concludes similar ideas as the first book I dropped a link to.

Good luck. To be honest, fasting is torture. Try changing your diet.
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Spread 1000-1200 calories into 3 meals a day. Not too difficult to do, but only do so for a period of 12 weeks max.
Kateislate
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Orange_123)
Now before anyone jumps at me to say that this is an unhealthy way to lose weight...I KNOW! I'm aware that it's not the best way to lose weight, but i just want to lose weight really quickly at the moment. I'm going to the gym twice/three times a week, so i AM doing exercise.

I'm a UK size 12, not really sure about my weight..probably about 9 or 9 and 1/2 stones. I want to noticeably lose weight fast - i wanted to know by drinking water + going to the gym twice a week + eating one meal a day, how much can i expect to lose? and how quickly?

If anyone knows of other ways to properly lose weight quickly, then i'm up for listening.

Thanks.
A load of people will tell you that it won't work, yet anorexic people lose a lot of weight fine. All this "your body will store all your fat and you'll put on weight bla bla bla" hasn't been the case at all in my experience. I did this a year or so back and got so obsessed with it, looking back I wasn't in a stable mindset, but it worked. I lost probably 3+ stone. Went from a size 16 to a 10/12 (back at 16 now, booooo). One thing to note though is that it really is true that you'll put it all back on when you start eating properly again! Good luck
linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try doing different exercises to the ones you're doing? Do you do any weights? I didn't, then started after being encouraged by people on this forum and some friends, and the difference is massively noticeable - I've not lost much weight but my body looks MUCH better!
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you only weigh 9 and a half stone now then I can't see that you need to lose weight rapidly. How tall are you? Eating 1,500 calories per day and doing plenty of exercise would give you the results that you need without having to starve yourself. If you lose weight by starvation then you will gain weight once you start eating normally again- because you won't have learned healthy eating habits to carry on into the future, and you'll just eat too much to maintain your new weight.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you are losing weight by not eating, then as soon as you start eating normally again then you will put all the weight back on.
therisenmitten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Obviously you will lose weight, and probably quite fast.

But you will ruin everything else in your life. Your friends and family won't want to be around you because you'll be grumpy and irritable. Plus you'll be tired and won't be able to concentrate on anything.

Is losing weight that fast really more important than your life?
(plus unless you're seriously short you don't even need to lose weight)
lou_100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks.
You'll collapse at the gym one day if you eat no food but keep working yourself hard.

Also, I'm your weight, and I'm pretty short (5 ft 2/3 ish), and I'm an 8 on top and a 10 down below. It's probably best to actually weigh yourself and keep track of your weight if you're aiming at losing some. I'm not saying you're definitely over what you say, I'm just saying that comparing you're 9-9.5 stone rough guess to myself (who is 9 stone 3), it sounds like you'd be looking more at half a stone heavier at least especially if you are taller than me.

My point being, as mentioned, that going below a certain weight will be very unhealthy. You might want to keep track of your BMI weight as well, and that requires knowing exactly how much you weigh.

Anyway, I wouldn't eat one meal a day. I'd split that one meal into 2-4 tiny meals. When I was trying to lose weight by cutting down my intake of food, I would have a bit of fruit mid-morning, a bit of salad in the afternoon (a few leaves with onion, tomato, couscous) and then a small fish or chicken dinner with some veg.

If I ever did feel so hungry that I felt like I was going to give in, I'd munch some carrot sticks, fruit or nuts and seeds (never filled me up exactly but kept me on until my next meal).

Eating regular but small meals helps combat the effects of a decreased metabolism, which can deteriorate when someone starts eating less regularly. (The body does anything to hold onto the last bit of food you ate to keep itself going, so that's why your metabolism slows).

When I did this, my jeans literally noticeably became baggier. I lost half a stone from 9 stone 7 to 9 stone exactly. People commented, I felt better, but my aim was 8 stone 10ish, and I've gone back up to 9 stone 2/3 (fluctuates) because I'm eating more bread and treats over Easter.

So it is true that you put on weight again when you give in a bit. It's hard to keep the weight off. But you don't have to put it all back on. If you look at weight watcher's data and other research, it seems that people often put back on a percentage of the weight they lost, but rarely go back to their original weight or more if you retain some of the "I need to lose weight" mentality.
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apparently the 5:2 diet is really good- did you see it on BBC Horizon with Dr. Michael Mosley? I'd be sceptical whether it's as healthy as they say though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r8OpT11RjE
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lou_100)
If you look at weight watcher's data and other research, it seems that people often put back on a percentage of the weight they lost, but rarely go back to their original weight or more if you retain some of the "I need to lose weight" mentality.
I'm sure this data is manipulated to make people think that WW diets are "the way to go". I've read other studies on weight loss, both about weight loss groups and those who do in on their own, which say that the majority of people who lose weight will regain the original weight, plus more. I think that's more likely, considering the amount of documentation there is for yo yo dieters.
Mark85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks.
You can eat one meal a day and gain weight. It is all about how much you eat in total, not how much you split it up into different meals.

I have lost a lot weight rather rapidly through illness and not being able to eat and you feel like **** and look worse.

What you need to do is just learn patience and accept the fact that you won't lose fat quicker than your body wants to let you without getting weak and ill and piling the weight back on again afterwards. The rate your body will let you lose fat isn't generally that quick.

From the sounds of it, you can't be that overweight. In this instance, you just can't shed weight quickly at all without harming yourself.
ce303ce303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you do that I bet you'll actually GAIN weight!!! if you put your body into starvation mode by not eating, any time you have any type of food it will store it for future use.

either way no one is able to mantain a diet like that so you will get back to your initial weight at some point.

if you know its not good why do it? do you really think its worth putting your body through that only to drop a couple of dress sizes? i dont think so!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lou_100
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I'm sure this data is manipulated to make people think that WW diets are "the way to go". I've read other studies on weight loss, both about weight loss groups and those who do in on their own, which say that the majority of people who lose weight will regain the original weight, plus more. I think that's more likely, considering the amount of documentation there is for yo yo dieters.
That's odd, because I've watched a documentary which was "exposing the truth" about WW, and yes it said basically the majority put on weight, but the majority of those that put on weight also manage to not quite put on as much as they were before. You get the exceptions. But first I wasn't trying to start a debate on WW, I mentioned one example and then said "and other". And also, the stuff I've read has been using the information to talk negatively about WW, so I don't think it was manipulated in a beneficial way for WW as that would be contradictory.

Anyway, more weight will be put on if the person then begins to eat much more than they were previously eating before the diet, which probably does frequently happen for whatever reasons. The mentality needs to remain. So like, I've begun eating a little bit more than I did while dieting, and eating more treats, but I still have that "I still need to lose more weight" playing on my mind, so tell myself no when I know I've eaten more than I should.

I think some mindsets just completely reverse and a person gives up and gives in. That's a recipe for getting fatter again, quite literally.
dinus13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
not eating is the worst possible way
lou_100
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mark85)
You can eat one meal a day and gain weight. It is all about how much you eat in total, not how much you split it up into different meals.

I have lost a lot weight rather rapidly through illness and not being able to eat and you feel like **** and look worse.

What you need to do is just learn patience and accept the fact that you won't lose fat quicker than your body wants to let you without getting weak and ill and piling the weight back on again afterwards. The rate your body will let you lose fat isn't generally that quick.

From the sounds of it, you can't be that overweight. In this instance, you just can't shed weight quickly at all without harming yourself.
First bit in bold: It's actually both. Obviously, it goes without saying that I dieter needs to either cut out certain types of foods or restrict intake, like you said. But for the sake of not upsetting a person's metabolism, it is better to split the same amount of food up instead of just having it in one sitting. Giving the body a constant intake of food is always a little better then a less frequent intake, doesn't mean a person has to eat more.

Second bit in bold: Just wanted to say I agree.
Mark85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lou_100)
But for the sake of not upsetting a person's metabolism, it is better to split the same amount of food up instead of just having it in one sitting. Giving the body a constant intake of food is always a little better then a less frequent intake, doesn't mean a person has to eat more.
I don't believe that. All the science seems to suggest that it makes very little difference if any.

I am kind of biased though, for most of my life I quite often only ate once or twice a day.
lou_100
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mark85)
I don't believe that. All the science seems to suggest that it makes very little difference if any.

I am kind of biased though, for most of my life I quite often only ate once or twice a day.
Well then, perhaps it varies from person to person if you're a case study yourself. True, for me personally I don't find that much of a difference or struggle to lose weight when I only eat once or twice a day.

Just saying that there has obviously been some research in the area and it makes sense to assume that there's a logic in what I said about metabolism, which I got from watching documentaries about food religiously. Also, the claim from health experts that's always in the press about "5 regular meals a day". Must have come from research.

But I'm with you, it hasn't seem to have made much of a difference to me.
Gummibaerchen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks.
If you're 9-9.5 stone then I don't see how you're a size 12. Unless you're like 3ft tall. I'm 5ft1 and 10st and a size 10.
I wouldn't recommend not eating, because you won't be getting all the things you need like vitamins, minerals etc. You'll probably become weak and lethargic and not actually able to work out all that much.
I really recommend weighing yourself, working out your Basal Metabolic Rate and going from there to use the online calculators to work out how many calories you need to lose X pounds by Y deadline.

What I'm doing to lose weight is cut out wheat (mostly because I just get really bloated and uncomfortable) but also eating loads of vegetables. e.g. I had a stir fry earlier with loads of veg and a chicken breast with this packet of chinese sauce I bought from Aldi and it's all really low calorie but satisfying and good for you. It fills you up and is good if you want to have a decent work out.

Starving yourself will also most likely lower your metabolism.
kmcgowan13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If anyone is seriously considering weightless look at slimming world! You eat loads, it's all about healthy options and allowing you to eat naught foods in moderation! I was 15stone after my little girl, I'm 10 stone now (put on Half a stone after a stressful few months!!) and I'm 5ft 3 I very in size I've got massive boobs so some tops are a 12 but if stretchy I get into a ten, but seriously sw is amazing!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (112)
58.33%
No (80)
41.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise