Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for dentistry , both abb

ReputationRep:
    What? Are these your offers or are you asking about these courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    What? Are these your offers or are you asking about these courses?

ooo manchester definitely, manchester is regarded as one of the top dentistry school in the country, definitely in the top 3. Bristol isnt however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    ooo manchester definitely, manchester is regarded as one of the top dentistry school in the country, definitely in the top 3. Bristol isnt however
    Surely there's so much demand for dentists - just witness the scences in Scarborough a couple of weeks ago - that a degree from any good uni, which therefore includes Bristol, would get you a good job. Sounds a bit clichéd but visit the departments and the cities and see which one you feel more comfortable with. Personally I preferred Bristol as a city - Manchester seemed a little *too* big - not as much green space as Bristol, but its all down to personal preference. Dont just go on league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, because it looks especially pretty today for some reason (must be the weather), and reading all the signs outside the SU from the bus is mildly amusing for all of 15 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester....Just this minute got back from Bristol and thought it was pants to be honest. I might be wrong however, whichever u r most comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Surely there's so much demand for dentists - just witness the scences in Scarborough a couple of weeks ago - that a degree from any good uni, which therefore includes Bristol, would get you a good job. Sounds a bit clichéd but visit the departments and the cities and see which one you feel more comfortable with. Personally I preferred Bristol as a city - Manchester seemed a little *too* big - not as much green space as Bristol, but its all down to personal preference. Dont just go on league tables.
    i think that the quality of the department rules over green space factor personally

ReputationRep:
    i think that the quality of the department rules over green space factor personally
    Plus, there's tonnes of green space around, that park next to Man Met, Whitworth Park, Birchfields Park, Platt Fields Park. The greeny areas around the engineering department. This is just around the uni, there's lots more in the city. Cathedral gardens are beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    manchester definetely

its so much nicer

one of my friends is going there to do dentistry too

one of the best dentistry schools in the country

ReputationRep:
    I've never been able to find cathedral gardens
    Are they hidden?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    I've never been able to find cathedral gardens
    Are they hidden?
    Behind Urbis. They look alot like teletubby land. You know with that gigantic fountain that goes all the way around the perimeter which you can walk along?

= pretty

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, double post.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, just saying for a subject like Dentistry, they're all good departments, and the main reason you go to a place with a better department is for employment prospects - if you're pretty much guaranteed a job afterwards (as with medicine) then surely its down to where you feel happiest? And I wouldn't choose unis based on green space, its just an example of something that for me personally affects the feel of the place. I just preferred Bristol as a city to Manchester, altho they're both by all accounts great cities to be a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Behind Urbis. They look alot like teletubby land. You know with that gigantic fountain that goes all the way around the perimeter which you can walk along?

= pretty
    I've always walked to the cathedral and not found anything.

I've walked around urbis too and seen no gardens. How bizzarre, it's like the Secret Garden!

ReputationRep:
    I've always walked to the cathedral and not found anything.

I've walked around urbis too and seen no gardens. How bizzarre, it's like the Secret Garden!
    Really? That's bizarre, if you walk around the entire perimeter of urbis you'll definitely find them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Really? That's bizarre, if you walk around the entire perimeter of urbis you'll definitely find them.
    Perhaps they just didn't look as I expected them too.
    Your picture is very different - "cathedral gardens" makes me think of quite a traditional garden.
    I'll have to look again some time!

The area around the town hall is also very nice - especially at christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps they just didn't look as I expected them too.
    Your picture is very different - "cathedral gardens" makes me think of quite a traditional garden.
    I'll have to look again some time!

The area around the town hall is also very nice - especially at christmas.
    Well no it's not gardens as in shrubs and pansies I guess. Still very tranquil to go there late at night and hang out with randoms.

Yeah the lights are always pretty around there, I think my favourite area is the top of Oxford Road, it looks pretty awesome with Le Meridien on one said, central library at the top, and all the towers in the background, it's really complemented by the thousands of people walking around there, really makes you feel like you're small and insignificant.

ReputationRep:
    fishpaste, was that picture taken in Bristol or Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    manchester definately has the best dental department on paper but like others have said choose which uni on the base of where you want to be for the next 6 years. Also conisder where you may end up for your placement in teh 6th eyar. My sister did dentistry at Bristol and got a placement in our home town in dorset for the year so she was able to live at home and jsut commute back to brsitol for a day each week. Also with job prospects, she just walked straight into a job so i don't think it reall matters where you go.

ReputationRep:
    I would choose Bristol. I have lived in both, and studied in Manchester, and Manchester is just... horrific. My biggest mistake.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.