Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am writing a blog for my university about real people's experiences of trying to get a job after uni. We have a real problem in the English department, where students just DO NOT seem to care about employability.

I've been asked to find out real people's experiences of job seeking with an English degree. It has to be real experiences; We don't care if you have had an awful time or got a job in a heartbeat. You don't have to say what uni you came from/are at, or what degree classification, it is all down to your experiences. It doesn't have to be very long either. I don't mind if you post here, or PM me.

Help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

(Original post by Brownie anyone?)
    Anyone?
    Hiya,

Seeing as it seems you're having a hard time finding anyone to reply to this, and whilst I'm not an English graduate, I have a couple of English student friends graduating this year and know the details of their job searches and successes/failures, which I could give an impression of, if that would be of any help.

PM me if so

Uth

ReputationRep:
    I am writing a blog for my university about real people's experiences of trying to get a job after uni. We have a real problem in the English department, where students just DO NOT seem to care about employability.

I've been asked to find out real people's experiences of job seeking with an English degree. It has to be real experiences; We don't care if you have had an awful time or got a job in a heartbeat. You don't have to say what uni you came from/are at, or what degree classification, it is all down to your experiences. It doesn't have to be very long either. I don't mind if you post here, or PM me.

Help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    I do not really understand your objective. If your university want you to write a blog about something you know nothing about, then the least they can do is pass on information about former students? What do you and your university gain from me telling you my experiences? Surely if your classmates dismiss employability issues then they will not care about me - someone from another university, probably in another part of the country - telling you what problems I have had getting a job? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I do not really understand your objective. If your university want you to write a blog about something you know nothing about, then the least they can do is pass on information about former students? What do you and your university gain from me telling you my experiences? Surely if your classmates dismiss employability issues then they will not care about me - someone from another university, probably in another part of the country - telling you what problems I have had getting a job? :confused:
    No, the point is to illustrate what it is like to go about getting a job after you have graduated. The whole point is that we are fed all these stories about 'so and so' who graduated 'last year and got an amazing job in London and is so happy and well paid etc'. Trying to get hold of the majority of graduates who have struggled with a job is near enough impossible. University won't publish the figures. Most of the people on my course don't even know what the world outside is like, and they need to get an understanding of other people's experiences to get them to realise that a simple English degree alone isn't the best idea.

ReputationRep:
    No, the point is to illustrate what it is like to go about getting a job after you have graduated. The whole point is that we are fed all these stories about 'so and so' who graduated 'last year and got an amazing job in London and is so happy and well paid etc'. Trying to get hold of the majority of graduates who have struggled with a job is near enough impossible. University won't publish the figures. Most of the people on my course don't even know what the world outside is like, and they need to get an understanding of other people's experiences to get them to realise that a simple English degree alone isn't the best idea.
    This website has lots of unemployed students if you look at the career section. I will send you my own details later on when I am on a computer so you can use me as an example too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.