Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Scotland gains independence will the Union flag have to change? watch

ReputationRep:
    My apologies if this isn't in the right place but I was wondering if Scottish independence then mean that they aren't part of the UK, like ROI and therefore won't be part of our flag? There wouldn't be much left if the Scottish part got taken out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it would look a bit **** without it. Although we could integrate St David's cross in to represent Wales. So the background would become black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yeah, it would look a bit **** without it. Although we could integrate St David's cross in to represent Wales. So the background would become black.
    I don't think I'd like it quite so much if it changed. But then again perhaps that's because I've never known anything different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Salmond would probably want a picture of him somewhere on the flag.
    On the Union flag?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    On the Union flag?
    No, I meant the new Scottish flag, too early for me. My post doesn't make sense, I'll delete it.

ReputationRep:
    Have the normal English flag, but add the Welsh dragon to the top left hand corner.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what would happen to all the stock that have flags on them in London tourist shops...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Have the normal English flag, but add the Welsh dragon to the top left hand corner.
    That would look pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    It didn't change when Ireland gained independence (though i suppose you could argue that St Patrick's saltire can still represent Northern Ireland). I don't think there would be any widespread support for a change of flag. Plus i don't believe Scotland is going to vote in favour of independence in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    That would look pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Technically it would no longer be the "United Kingdom" anymore either. The only remaining kingdoms are Scotland and England, N-Ireland is a region and Wales is a principality. I dont think you'll get any proper answers too these questions unless we get a yes vote in 2014 due to Westminster's inability to accept the potential future. It would however be sorted during the period of separation between 2014-2016.

Edit: Damn that England+Wales flag looks pretty good geetar. Atleasts thats something interesting for you folks down south too look toward too. ^^

ReputationRep:
    Technically i suppose that they should however given that the union flag is one of the best looking flags there is (the English one is rubbish) i would rather we just renamed it to the flag of Great Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Technically it would no longer be the "United Kingdom" anymore either. The only remaining kingdoms are Scotland and England, N-Ireland is a region and Wales is a principality. I dont think you'll get any proper answers too these questions unless we get a yes vote in 2014 due to Westminster's inability to accept the potential future. It would however be sorted during the period of separation between 2014-2016.

Edit: Damn that England+Wales flag looks pretty good geetar. Atleasts thats something interesting for you folks down south too look toward too. ^^
    I see what you mean, the name "United Kingdom" came about because it was a union of kingdoms. But, England, Scotland and Ireland all ceased to be kingdoms in their own right when they became part of the UK. So it still does sort of make sense to call it the UK without Scotland. It is still a Kingdom that is united. Of course the same could be said of any Kingdom.

As for Wales being a principality, that's not really true. There's no UK law or anything that says it's a principality. And the ISO standards call it a country (NI is a province according to that though). But you're right that when the UK formed it was officially considered part of England, rather than being a country or kingdom in its own right.

If Scotland did become independent maybe we could change the name to "United Kingdom of Southern Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.