Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any experience in backpacking through Europe? Basically I finish my undergraduate degree in 2014 and before I do anything post graduate (masters/phd etc) I'd like to do a Europe trip. I'd only want to go for about 8 weeks at most maybe a bit less. there's some specific places I'm interesting in going to - Madrid, Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Amsterdam and a few more, maybe Germany somewhere.
    I've never done much travelling before, but I do weekends away with sports clubs and we always stay in hostels so I'm quite accustomed to doing that.
    I really just want to see Europe, meet new people etc. but I've no idea of costs or the best way to go about doing it. Can anyone with any similar experiences give any advice about costs/whether its a good idea/how you did it etc.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spending 8 weeks in those countries will see you go through quite a bit of money quite quickly. Those cities that you have named can see hostels costing upwards of 20 euros during the peak season. Not only that but unless you interail, travel is also going to suck up a lot of your money.

If you insist on focusing on western europe, then I would definitely recommend couch surfing. Not only does it save you money on accommodation (though getting your host a small gift would be appreciated) but it also gives you a chance to hang out with locals who can also recommend cheaper and better places to eat saving you even more money.

The further east you go the cheaper everything becomes. Even beyond Poland and Czech Republic you have the balkans and ukraine etc which are completely safe and will also give you an opportunity to escape the hoards of gap year inter-railers and meet other travelers. Also as well as much cheaper accommodation, coach travel between cities and countries there is cheap as chips and it would be a good way to spend the second half of your trip maybe, having become accustomed to backpacking in western european countries which have a better infrastructure but also if you are running low on cash.

Its definitely a great idea and this could be the last opportunity in your life that you get to do such a thing, so ignore any nay sayers, keep your wits about you, ignore those worries and go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by castlemadeofsand)
    Spending 8 weeks in those countries will see you go through quite a bit of money quite quickly. Those cities that you have named can see hostels costing upwards of 20 euros during the peak season. Not only that but unless you interail, travel is also going to suck up a lot of your money.

If you insist on focusing on western europe, then I would definitely recommend couch surfing. Not only does it save you money on accommodation (though getting your host a small gift would be appreciated) but it also gives you a chance to hang out with locals who can also recommend cheaper and better places to eat saving you even more money.

The further east you go the cheaper everything becomes. Even beyond Poland and Czech Republic you have the balkans and ukraine etc which are completely safe and will also give you an opportunity to escape the hoards of gap year inter-railers and meet other travelers. Also as well as much cheaper accommodation, coach travel between cities and countries there is cheap as chips and it would be a good way to spend the second half of your trip maybe, having become accustomed to backpacking in western european countries which have a better infrastructure but also if you are running low on cash.

Its definitely a great idea and this could be the last opportunity in your life that you get to do such a thing, so ignore any nay sayers, keep your wits about you, ignore those worries and go for it!
    Thank you so much I hadn't thought much about Eastern Europe but it sounds good too! I'll maybe only spend 3-4 weeks in Western Europe then if its going to cost a fair bit! I'd been thinking about Interail and thought it sounded quite good probably the best way to go about it, I know a couple of people dotted around a couple of European countries too which is lucky!

Thanks so much for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.