The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
this may sound stupid :colondollar: but u know how after all reactions they say carry out distiliation

what is distilation ? is just purifying the product with distilled water?
Reply 341
why are tertiary alcohols more reactive?
Original post by edex123

It's down to the positive inductive effect of surrounding alkyl groups.
Reply 343
Original post by edex123

has 3 R groups and R groups break the c-x bond quickly cos 3 is more than 2 R groups (secondary) or 1 R group (primary)

R group = alkyl groups
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 344
Original post by HarryMWilliams
It's down to the positive inductive effect of surrounding alkyl groups.

but why does this make it more reactive?
Reply 345
Original post by Priya08
has 3 R groups and R groups break the c-x bond quickly cos 3 is more than 2 r groups (secondary) or 1 r group (primary)

I am really sorry if this is a dumb question but why does the c-x bond break more quickly if there are more r groups?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 346
A bit of reaction mechanism practice; would anyone like to explain the procedure of producing a carboxylic acid from ethane? (Hint: there are multiple steps.. :tongue:)

ethane + (uv) + cl2 -> CH2CHCl + NaOH(aq) -> CH2CHOH + KCr2O7 + H2SO4 (reflux). Distil final mixture and dry with anhydrous sodium sulfate.
(edited 10 years ago)
The grade boundaries are scary for this exam..
Reply 348
Original post by edex123
I am really sorry if this is a dumb question but why does the c-x bond break more quickly?

Baiscally, Alkyl groups are e- donating groups so

primary - 1 R group present
secondary - 2 R groups present
tertiary - 3 R groups present

so because tertiary has more R' groups (electron donating groups) than secondary or primary, it breaks the c-x bond quicker
Original post by edex123
but why does this make it more reactive?

The 3 alkyl groups feed their electrons to the carbocation, hence, it forms a much more stable intermediate that primary and secondary alcohols, it's therefore more 'available' to react - the fact theres 3 alkyl groups also means the halogen group can leave easier. That's my understanding at least.

Original post by Goods
ethane + (uv) + cl2 -> CH2CHCl + NaOH(aq) -> CH2CHOH + KCr2O7 + H2SO4 (reflux). Distil final mixture and dry with anhydrous sodium sulfate.

Very good. :biggrin:

But! You're missing a hydrogen in your haloalkane. :tongue:
Reply 350
Original post by scientific222
The grade boundaries are scary for this exam..

whyy :redface: what are they like roughly??
Original post by Priya08
whyy :redface: what are they like roughly??

Its been slowly creeping up, it was 63/80 in June 2012 and now 65/80 for Jan 2013's paper (which was real hard in my opinion). That is really insane considering its a paper where mistakes can be made so easily
Reply 352
Hello :smile: I'm confused on question 17fii on the May 2011 paper. What apparatus is the mark scheme looking for? (If you have a page number in the edexcel textbook would be very helpful so I can see it) thank you
Reply 353
The 3 alkyl groups feed their electrons to the carbocation, hence, it forms a much more stable intermediate that primary and secondary alcohols, it's therefore more 'available' to react - the fact theres 3 alkyl groups also means the halogen group can leave easier. That's my understanding at least.

Very good. :biggrin:

But! You're missing a hydrogen in your haloalkane. :tongue:

Thank you very much:smile: i understand now!
Original post by scientific222
Its been slowly creeping up, it was 63/80 in June 2012 and now 65/80 for Jan 2013's paper (which was real hard in my opinion). That is really insane considering its a paper where mistakes can be made so easily

I'd like the grade boundaries from January 2010:

A - 51/80
B - 45/80
C - 39/80 etc.
Reply 355
Original post by Priya08
Baiscally, Alkyl groups are e- donating groups so

primary - 1 R group present
secondary - 2 R groups present
tertiary - 3 R groups present

so because tertiary has more R' groups (electron donating groups) than secondary or primary, it breaks the c-x bond quicker

oh ok thanks, i understand now:smile:
Reply 356
A quick question, in unit2 chem jan 12 question 21 b (ii) , the reaction between KOH(aq) and a primary and tertiary halogenoalkane(they are isomers of eac hother) is different in terms of the mechanism and the intermediate formed...i think it has something to do with the 1 step and 2 step mechanism but im not too sure, also why does the structure of the halogenoalkane effect the mechanism? If someone could look at the question it would really help thank you.
Reply 357
Original post by Kenzo-k
A quick question, in unit2 chem jan 12 question 21 b (ii) , the reaction between KOH(aq) and a primary and tertiary halogenoalkane(they are isomers of eac hother) is different in terms of the mechanism and the intermediate formed...i think it has something to do with the 1 step and 2 step mechanism but im not too sure, also why does the structure of the halogenoalkane effect the mechanism? If someone could look at the question it would really help thank you.

maybe this helps:Chem.JPG
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 358
How much unit 1 do we need?
I'm resitting so barely know anything in the unit. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 359
A bit of reaction mechanism practice; would anyone like to explain the procedure of producing a carboxylic acid from ethane? (Hint: there are multiple steps.. :tongue:)

Alkane + Halogen (with UV rays) ----> Halogenoalkane

Halogenoalkane + NaOH -----> Alcohol + NaX

Alcohol + potassium dichromate -----> Carboxylic acid + H2O

[conditions being: dilute H2SO4... heat under reflux]

????? :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending