The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amber206
Why is there no hydrogen bonding between molecules of ethoxyethane? (Jan 2009, MC Q8)

CH3CH2OCH2CH3

Because no hydrogen atom is directly bonded to either (fluorine, oxygen or nitrogen).
Reply 461
Why is there no hydrogen bonding between molecules of ethoxyethane? (Jan 2009, MC Q8)

CH3CH2OCH2CH3

Think about the structure, for hydrogen bonding to occur, hydrogen has to be bonded to a more electronegative element I.e. fluorine oxygen or nitrogen. Here in to molecule, hydrogen is only bonded to carbons which have very similar electronegativities. Because of hydrogen not being directly bonded to the oxygen, no hydrogen bonds form :smile: hope that helps
Reply 462
Original post by own
Think about the structure, for hydrogen bonding to occur, hydrogen has to be bonded to a more electronegative element I.e. fluorine oxygen or nitrogen. Here in to molecule, hydrogen is only bonded to carbons which have very similar electronegativities. Because of hydrogen not being directly bonded to the oxygen, no hydrogen bonds form :smile: hope that helps

It can form hydrogen bonds when dissolved in solvents (due to lone pairs on the central oxygen) however it cannot form hydrogen bonds with itself
Reply 463
If anyone has January 2009 CH02 to hand,
the balancing of the half-equation for the
reduction of dichromate ions?

The electron number is 6 - why is it not 12?
Reply 464
Original post by Goods
It can form hydrogen bonds when dissolved in solvents (due to lone pairs on the central oxygen) however it cannot form hydrogen bonds with itself

Yes. I'm not quite sure what your getting at? The question taking about between molecules of ethoxylethane, not solvents. :smile:
Reply 465
I don't even know why I can't figure this out:The following reactions have been used in the chemical industry to make liquid and solid products, allowing any gaseous products to escape into the atmosphere:

A CH3OH(g) + CO(g) --> CH3COOH(l)

B CaCO3(s) --> CaO(s) + CO2(g)

C CH4(g) + 3Cl2(g) --> CHCl3(l) + 3HCl(g)

D CH2CH2(g) + Cl2(g) --> CH2ClCH2
Cl(l)
Which reaction causes the most immediate damage to the environment?
Reply 466
Anyones got jan 2013 paper unit 2??????
Reply 467
Did anyone do the June Unit 1 paper? And if so how did you find it and has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme for it?
Reply 468
Anyone know this one?? :/

13 When solutions of iodine are titrated with aqueous sodium thiosulfate solution, Na2S2O3(aq),
the thiosulfate ions are oxidized to

A S2O4

B S2O6

C S2O8

D S4O6

all of these options are 2-
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 469
Original post by Miri321
I don't even know why I can't figure this out:The following reactions have been used in the chemical industry to make liquid and solid products, allowing any gaseous products to escape into the atmosphere:

Cl(l)

hmmmmm....i think it shud b C as HCL gas is produced which is a steamy fume so obviously the mst immediate effect cud b dat........though i;m little vague abt it...:erm:
Reply 470
Original post by kevsamuel
Did anyone do the June Unit 1 paper? And if so how did you find it and has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme for it?

I did that! it was a retake and i thought it was less harder than jan but still difficult... and ive been looking for the unofficial mark scheme as well... no luck so far
Original post by lob.dub
Anyones got jan 2013 paper unit 2??????

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2212573&page=10

"Weaslemoose" posted two PDF's here.
Original post by Miri321

Cl(l)

Either B or C.

B produces CO2 but C produces HCl.

They clearly say 'most immediate effect' so I would go with HCl because it could acidify rivers and kill fish. CO2 on the other hand is a greenhouse gas and it takes time before it rises up into the atmosphere and traps heat energy emitted from the earth.
Reply 473
Original post by Khurc003
I did that! it was a retake and i thought it was less harder than jan but still difficult... and ive been looking for the unofficial mark scheme as well... no luck so far

Yeah, mine was a retake too as I got a C the first time round. I thought that it was easier than January too. But hopefully the grade boundaries will be at most about 63 for an A! (and that's pushing it...)
If anyone has January 2009 CH02 to hand,
the balancing of the half-equation for the
reduction of dichromate ions?

The electron number is 6 - why is it not 12?

Dichromate has 2 chromiums at +6 and you are reducing it to Cr3+ to go from from 6 to 3 it is a gain of 3 electrons. Because there are 2 Cr's in dichromate you have to reduce both of them. therefore you needing 6 in total which equates to 3 electrons for each of the chromium's. hope that makes sense :smile: I'm resiting and doing the later units really helps with the earlier stuff.
Reply 475
Original post by kevsamuel
Yeah, mine was a retake too as I got a C the first time round. I thought that it was easier than January too. But hopefully the grade boundaries will be at most about 63 for an A! (and that's pushing it...)

yh that is pushing it.... lol I managed to scrap a B but right now im sooooo worried about unit 2 though :frown: timing is a big issue
Reply 476
Someone pleeeeasee help with this one

When solutions of iodine are titrated with aqueous sodium thiosulfate solution, Na2S2O3(aq),

A S2O4

B S2O6

C S2O8

D S4O6

Reply 477
Original post by James A
Either B or C.

B produces CO2 but C produces HCl.

They clearly say 'most immediate effect' so I would go with HCl because it could acidify rivers and kill fish. CO2 on the other hand is a greenhouse gas and it takes time before it rises up into the atmosphere and traps heat energy emitted from the earth.

Insanely stupid question.... does the atmosphere count as the environment ? :colondollar:

I mean would you consider a factory and the atmosphere as being in the same environment.

Also D won't react with the ozone will it ? only if it had a fluorine atom attached to one of the carbons it would? If so, do we need to know why this is..

Hi, Can someone please explain to me why chlorofluorocarbons are no longer used as fire retardants and why we use hydrocarbons and why doesn't it break down in the stratosphere?
Thanks
Original post by Khurc003
Someone pleeeeasee help with this one

When solutions of iodine are titrated with aqueous sodium thiosulfate solution, Na2S2O3(aq),

A S2O4

B S2O6

C S2O8

D S4O6

It's D. It will always be D - it's just one of those 'factoids' you need to learn.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending