The Student Room Group

log likelihood; statistics

not sure why the the 2nd line eq. says 'proportional to' the right hand bit, what happens to the {2Ø(1-Ø)}^n2 on the left hand side? because surely if the LHS wasn't proportioned, the log-likelihood would be different if the {2Ø(1-Ø)}^n2 bit was included?logsssss.jpg
Original post by rextra
not sure why the the 2nd line eq. says 'proportional to' the right hand bit, what happens to the {2Ø(1-Ø)}^n2 on the left hand side? because surely if the LHS wasn't proportioned, the log-likelihood would be different if the {2Ø(1-Ø)}^n2 bit was included?logsssss.jpg

For the bit in blue, everything has been included apart from the 2n2\displaystyle 2^{n_2} and hence the proportionality.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
For the bit in blue, everything has been included apart from the 2n2\displaystyle 2^{n_2} and hence the proportionality.

yes however can that be something that can just be done, ie can 2n2\displaystyle 2^{n_2} just be avoided? isn't that important when taking logs?
Original post by rextra
yes however can that be something that can just be done, ie can 2n2\displaystyle 2^{n_2} just be avoided? isn't that important when taking logs?

When you take logs, it would appear as +log(constant) and when you differentiated it would vanish.
Reply 4
When you take logs, it would appear as +log(constant) and when you differentiated it would vanish.

oh I misread that, cheers x
Reply 5

forgive me for the endless questions, but please can ya sort me out with this badboy? Untitled.jpg

I know how to integrate it normally but am keen on understanding my lecturer's method since it seems shorter, if one gets it anyway. He said he used the substitution of y=λ(x-a) . I don't get how on the RHS there's a 1/λ outside the integral and how has the limit changed from a-->0? He mentioned solving it by comparing it with the exponential dist. where λ=1 or something?
Reply 6
Original post by rextra
forgive me for the endless questions, but please can ya sort me out with this badboy? Untitled.jpg

I know how to integrate it normally but am keen on understanding my lecturer's method since it seems shorter, if one gets it anyway. He said he used the substitution of y=λ(x-a) . I don't get how on the RHS there's a 1/λ outside the integral and how has the limit changed from a-->0? He mentioned solving it by comparing it with the exponential dist. where λ=1 or something?

have you covered integration by substitution - this is just a standard example.

Putting y=λ(xa)y = \lambda(x-a) means we can replace λx\lambda x with y+λay + \lambda a

We need to change the limits, so x=a corresponds to y=0. And dy/dx=λdy/dx = \lambda, so you replace dx with λ1dy\lambda^{-1}dy
Reply 7
Original post by davros
have you covered integration by substitution - this is just a standard example.

Putting y=λ(xa)y = \lambda(x-a) means we can replace λx\lambda x with y+λay + \lambda a

We need to change the limits, so x=a corresponds to y=0. And dy/dx=λdy/dx = \lambda, so you replace dx with λ1dy\lambda^{-1}dy

yeah just had to re-visit integration, cheers. But what I really want to know is what he did after that. In his lectures he mentioned solving the integral obtained in a short cut by using the exponential distribution with λ\lambda=1 and then treating it like a probability density function or something?
Reply 8
Original post by rextra
yeah just had to re-visit integration, cheers. But what I really want to know is what he did after that. In his lectures he mentioned solving the integral obtained in a short cut by using the exponential distribution with λ\lambda=1 and then treating it like a probability density function or something?

I'm not sure - it may be possible to relate it to another distribution, but to be honest you can evalute that integral directly - eye^{-y} is easy to integrate, and yeyye^{-y} is just a simple integration by parts :smile:
Reply 9

just went through this again and I can't figure out what you've done with θ^2n1 *[2θ(1-θ)]^n2? Please elaborate? thanks in advance mate
Original post by rextra
just went through this again and I can't figure out what you've done with θ^2n1 *[2θ(1-θ)]^n2? Please elaborate? thanks in advance mate

[2θ(1θ)]n2[2\theta (1-\theta)]^{n_2}

Expands to 2n2θn2(1θ)n22^{n_2}\theta^{n_2} (1-\theta)^{n_2}

And when grouped with the other terms, using the rules of indices, yields the desired result.
Reply 11
[2θ(1θ)]n2[2\theta (1-\theta)]^{n_2}

Expands to 2n2θn2(1θ)n22^{n_2}\theta^{n_2} (1-\theta)^{n_2}

And when grouped with the other terms, using the rules of indices, yields the desired result.

you're the best, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest