Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/53418189?width=768

For question 5, D is the answer. But WHY is D the answer? I'm terrible at DC electricity in unit 2, so please explain it fully so I understand it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Here is an image that I have created showing you how to work out the answer, hope it helps!

I used 7V just as an example!

P.S. I hated electricity!

Name:  Answer.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  128.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0diak)
    Here is an image that I have created showing you how to work out the answer, hope it helps!

I used 7V just as an example!

P.S. I hated electricity!

Name:  Answer.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  128.6 KB
    Say if N takes 1V, then there is 6V left over. So each lamp in parallel has 6V each while N takes 1V.

With M removed, both N and L take 3.5V each.

So N has a higher voltage and L has a lower voltage. So in the exam question, why can't answer C be correct?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I'm not too sure for that one.

All I can say is that they would probably be expecting you to recognise them as all being the same lamp - therefore having a maximum voltage around half the voltage of the supply.

The point you make is a good one and I am not sure of what the answer to it would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0diak)
    Hmmm I'm not too sure for that one.

All I can say is that they would probably be expecting you to recognise them as all being the same lamp - therefore having a maximum voltage around half the voltage of the supply.

The point you make is a good one and I am not sure of what the answer to it would be.
    Okay, thanks for the help anyways. Btw, I hate electricity as well. It's so hard to understand the content and visualise it compared to other modules in Physics

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    This is a bit trickier than it looks as you need to know several things before it can be answered.

The key fact is learning that the current flowing into a junction is the same as that leaving the junction.

So the current going into lamp N is the same as the added currents going through L and M. i.e. another way of saying the current in lamp L or M is half that of lamp N.

The total resistance of the circuit is RN + (RL in parallel with RM). i.e. if all the resistances are the same, the total circuit resistance is R + 0.5R = 1.5R.

The brightness of each lamp is determined by how much power is consumed in each.

P=IxV (triangle) but you also know that V = I/R (ohms law triangle).

So doing a quick substitution for V in the first equation gives:

P=IxV which is equal to P=Ix(I/R) = I2R.

Hence the power output (brightness) of lamp N is I2R
    But the power output of each lamp L and M is (I2R/2)/2 = I2R/4 because the current is split between the lamps. So each lamp L and M will only be 1/4 as bright as lamp N.

But now if lamp M blows it has gone open circuit, the total resistance of the circuit is now R + R = 2R. So the total current in the circuit has gone down because the voltage is the same but the resistance has gone up.

Which means that the brightness of lamp N must go down as well.

But, all of the current that was previously split between the two lamps L and M now goes through L only. Hence it must gets brighter.

Lots to follow but hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    This is a bit trickier than it looks as you need to know several things before it can be answered.

The key fact is learning that the current flowing into a junction is the same as that leaving the junction.

So the current going into lamp N is the same as the added currents going through L and M. i.e. another way of saying the current in lamp L or M is half that of lamp N.

The total resistance of the circuit is RN + (RL in parallel with RM). i.e. if all the resistances are the same, the total circuit resistance is R + 0.5R = 1.5R.

The brightness of each lamp is determined by how much power is consumed in each.

P=IxV (triangle) but you also know that V = I/R (ohms law triangle).

So doing a quick substitution for V in the first equation gives:

P=IxV which is equal to P=Ix(I/R) = I2R.

Hence the power output (brightness) of lamp N is I2R
    But the power output of each lamp L and M is (I2R/2)/2 = I2R/4 because the current is split between the lamps. So each lamp L and M will only be 1/4 as bright as lamp N.

But now if lamp M blows it has gone open circuit, the total resistance of the circuit is now R + R = 2R. So the total current in the circuit has gone down because the voltage is the same but the resistance has gone up.

Which means that the brightness of lamp N must go down as well.

But, all of the current that was previously split between the two lamps L and M now goes through L only. Hence it must gets brighter.

Lots to follow but hope it helps.
    I can't understand the bold part where you somehow get I^2R/4. Could you please explain that part fully?
    Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.