Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend from home won't accept I have a new life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I live away at uni and my best friend from home won't accept I now have a new life. Last year, whilst living at home, I was unhappy and depressed. Now I have a new life which I love but she won't accept it. I want to leave everything in the past, not totally leave our friendship but I have a new life.
    I am very busy nowadays. Uni, I have a job and then a social life. But she always texts me saying why haven't we seen each other in a while? I should come home and see her. Why don't I talk? I do make the effort but when I find the time.
    And when I do see her nowadays, we don't have fun. Even another friend feels the same way. Every time I see her she talks about her family problems that happened ten years ago.
    She says I should just get over being brought up by a single mum (I never even talk about it and I'm fine with it). All what she goes on is about her grandmas death from seven years ago.
    One of our other friends dad is a violent alcoholic and has been for 16 years. My friend says she hates her dad, and clearly has every reason which our friend calls her a pathetic liar. She has always had her dad there whilst growing up and still does. So I asked her to have a little bit of sympathy and try to understand. She did but lasted about a day.
    I have experimented with drugs on a couple of occasions and apparently I am now disgusting.
    I am apparently a loser because I like 'drinking until I black out'. I drink a lot, but I have never been that drunk where I have passed out.
    She has told people I am a **** before. She always takes the mick out of virgins really nastily when she is one.
    Whenever one of us gets a boyfriend or a date she tells us she hates them, even when she hasn't met them. She once accused my ex of hitting me, cheating on me and called him a ****. She never even met him.
    She says she is pan sexual. On occasions when she has been tipsy, she has texted me telling me I'm hot, says she likes someone but 'I'm not allowed to know' and being over flirty.
    I have tried talking to her once and so have two other people. She reacted in the same way. She uncontrollably cried. Accused me of hating her. Insulted herself. And then threatened to kill herself. And I said it in the nicest way possible. I asked her is there anything I do to offend you sometimes? I didn't put any blame on her.
    I can't deal with her anymore. She brings me down. Whenever I try something on in a shop she tells me I look ****. I was playing a game on my phone the other day and she said it was so **** and pointless. Apparently uni is **** and I shouldn't go. My course is **** and boring. My job is ****. My new friends are ****. Everything I do, ****.
    What shall I do? How can I make her accept my new life? She used to be the best friend ever. She used to be so fun and we used to laugh until we cried and our sides hurt. Since I went to uni, she changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is one friend you could easily do without in your life. Cut your losses. She sounds incredibly spiteful and jealous of you. The first step is to have a talk with her and tell her everything that is wrong and if she still doesn't get the message after this it's time for you to move on, best friend or not. She's clearly holding you back. Tell her to find something she loves, like you because she clearly doesn't seem to be happy with life and is hellbent on ruining other people's. Tell her you're making the effort and if she doesn't like it, she knows where to go. I thought I was a bad person, until I read this. Your friend's behaviour is absolutely pathetic and attention seeking.

ReputationRep:
    How odd...I know she is behaving despicably but she sounds like she is just feeling incredibly jealous and left behind.
    You know when you were close last year, was she always there for you, always there to support you with your depression? Because maybe she feels like she was always there for you and always cared for you and now you just want to leave her behind and get on with your new life.

im not justifying her cruel behaviour, but I'm just wondering what the explanation for it is.

ReputationRep:
    urgh. just... urgh. get rid of her, she's a complete mess.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cut ties. She seems annoyed and jealous.

ReputationRep:
    I think she is just acting the way she is cause she does feel hurt. Coming from her perspective. If you used to talk everyday then all of a sudden, don't. That can be hurtful and can feel like they have nothing :/. It's good you have a new life but probably to her, it feels like you forgot about her and your friendship with her as well.. Talk to her about it, and try and tell her that you do have a new life but still want a great friendship with her. As I said, she probably feels like you have changed and feels hurt which then results in jealousy and then results in insulting you

[SIZE=1][URL='http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app']Posted from

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.