The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pabblethefish
I'd say English literature is more respected than biology :s

Afterall, you don't always need a level biology in order to get onto a biology degree - whereas with English lit, you do (most of the time, anyway).

I'd like to fact check this (I won't but I'd like to).

Because they're GCSEs, respect is entirely irrelevant :u:
Well not always, every university's different. But when it comes to applying to a biology-based degree it's always: chemistry > biology.

Of course, biology is still an important subject!

I just feel English shows you can analyse text and put meaning into things and intricately write powerful responses to things whereas biology shows you can kind of, sort of do a science. But that's only my opinion.

Well said :smile:
Original post by MangoFreak
I'd like to fact check this (I won't but I'd like to).

Because they're GCSEs, respect is entirely irrelevant :u:

That's true, I suppose I was getting off track :colondollar:

I distinctly remember whilst degree browsing around that biology isn't really needed. I'll have a look around and share what I find, just out of curiosity of course :tongue:
jkl.png

Looking at this, I'm thinking that according to universities, English is more valuable to study English than biology is to study biology but maybe this is because English literature doesn't have any 'sister subjects' as chemistry is to biology. Biology is a part of a much wider spectrum that is science whereas English is a wide spectrum in itself?

I don't know. This is what happens when I try to be deep when I'm tired.
*Sighs* ... finally GOD DAMN IT finished RE revision, memorised the book of by heart.:lol: I can't believe the exam is
on Monday 13th. I wish I could sit it tomorrow & get it done & over with. Same goes with Philosophy & Ethics speaking of which I haven't touched
English Lit Revision much :shock::zomg:. Luckily, I've perfected poetry but what would you guys recommend for 'Of Mice & Men'
& 'An Inspector calls' revision for English Literature? How are you revising for it?
(edited 10 years ago)
POLL: do you prefer am or pm exams? Why? :work::qed::question::stupido:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
POLL: do you prefer am or pm exams? Why? :work::qed::question::stupido:

am then it's done straight away
This is my 1000th post on this forum :zomg: :woo:
Is it bad that for me the star in Biology is more likely when I can only miss one mark for it? :sexface:

I don't watch the Apprentice since studying that Ed guy from a few years ago for English Lang :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: unlucky :mmm:
Original post by Leechayy
I'd prefer the A* in Biology but thats just me. Biology is more respected than English Lit right? Am I right?:confused:

It's only at GCSE so :dontknow: not a level :tongue:
Yeah, the Young Apprentice was bearable.

Ugh, I can't wait until study leave. I genuinely enjoy revising late at night, everyone's in bed and there's no distractions but I can't do that when I have to be up at 6.30 in the morning :tongue:

Really?:redface: hate late nights
Yeah, the Young Apprentice was bearable.

Ugh, I can't wait until study leave. I genuinely enjoy revising late at night, everyone's in bed and there's no distractions but I can't do that when I have to be up at 6.30 in the morning :tongue:

Hate the Young Apprentice, they think they're brilliant just because they're running a business by 17
Original post by MattFletcher
Hate the Young Apprentice, they think they're brilliant just because they're running a business by 17

They don't even have businesses per se... :tongue:

One guy fixed laptops for friends and said he had a repair business :lolwut:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
They don't even have businesses per se... :tongue:

One guy fixed laptops for friends and said he had a repair business :lolwut:

:rofl: it makes it funny I suppose, they're all trying to be condescening and they know nothing
I love the regular Apprentice more though, you'd never see YA have 'My plan is an On-line real estate business' and 'Estate Agents are tossers' right at the beginning :rofl2:
:rofl: it makes it funny I suppose, they're all trying to be condescening and they know nothing
I love the regular Apprentice more though, you'd never see YA have 'My plan is an On-line real estate business' and 'Estate Agents are tossers' right at the beginning :rofl2:

Hahaha, the welsh guy is cringey... In the next episode, something like "stop talking, you silly ****" hahaha

_____

My Welsh Baccalaureate is worth more :mmm:

4 Key Skills = 3 GCSEs
Welsh Baccalaureate = 3 GCSEs

:awesome: so I have...

16+3+3 = 22 equivalents and 16 real ones
Hahaha, the welsh guy is cringey... In the next episode, something like "stop talking, you silly ****" hahaha

_____

4 Key Skills = 3 GCSEs

22! I have 10! :shock:
Who went out on Apprentice? I missed the last part because I had a headache :frown:
22! I have 10! :shock:

I have more than double yours :mmm:

Oh well, the 6 aren't graded. They're just called passes and are worth A*-C level 2 so nothing special

_____

4 Key Skills = 3 GCSEs

Equivalents :hand:
Equivalents :hand:

Still 16 real ones :smug:

6 Equivalents though :mmm:

Application of Number