Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

I don't understand how they got those numbers.

If country A makes 1 palm oil (10000 resources) then it could make 2 televisions with the 10000 resources so surely the opportunity cost is 2? Similarly if they made 1 television then they could make 5000/10000 = 1/2 palm oil with those resources so surely the opportunity cost of making 1 television is 1/2 not 2? Have they got the numbers mixed up or am I getting confused?

edit: I learnt what I'm doing from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_qs...kgehq_WCsk9A7y

is the video wrong? (skip to 3:02)

ReputationRep:
    You got the numbers wrong. They are the amount produced, not the resources required.

I.e. the country if it just produced palm oil it could do 20000 or it could just produce TVs and produce 10000 - i.e. it can produce 2 palm oil for every 1 TV. So the OC of 1 TV is 2 palm oil. Whereas for 1 palm oil it's 1/2 TVs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    You got the numbers wrong. They are the amount produced, not the resources required.

I.e. the country if it just produced palm oil it could do 20000 or it could just produce TVs and produce 10000 - i.e. it can produce 2 palm oil for every 1 TV. So the OC of 1 TV is 2 palm oil. Whereas for 1 palm oil it's 1/2 TVs.
    So silly!

Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.