Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do I write for my uni application? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I hope you're well. I've got a really quick question and I was wondering whether I could have your opinion?

I am reapplying to university after dropping out last october. On the form it asks if i have any disability. There is an option for mental health: depression, schizophrenia, anxiety. My therapist said that I don't have anxiety or depression but I think I have anxiety because I'm always worrying and I get really bad headaches. I dropped out of my old uni because I was really anxious and in such a poor mental state. So question is, should I put down I have anxiety or not? I'm pretty sure anxiety will be a problem at uni (because it has been so in the past).

ReputationRep:
    If you think anxiety is that much of a problem, make sure your therapist addresses it. As for now, if your therapist has given you a full mental analysis and comes back saying you have nothing - I would declare nothing. This only makes sense.

Make sure you address what you think are major problems in therapy though - otherwise, what's the point?

Good luck mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    If you think anxiety is that much of a problem, make sure your therapist addresses it. As for now, if your therapist has given you a full mental analysis and comes back saying you have nothing - I would declare nothing. This only makes sense.

Make sure you address what you think are major problems in therapy though - otherwise, what's the point?

Good luck mate.
    I had 2 months of therapy and it really helped but i had to stop for this new job. I think i need it back because i've been anxious these last few days. I'm deffo going to try get more therapy before uni and counselling/therapy in uni too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I had 2 months of therapy and it really helped but i had to stop for this new job. I think i need it back because i've been anxious these last few days. I'm deffo going to try get more therapy before uni and counselling/therapy in uni too.
    What do you feel anxious about mate? Is it confidence issues or what? What were you doing at uni before that made you feel enough pressure to quit?

ReputationRep:
    Hi rock_climber,

I think it's fine to say you're suffering from anxiety. Anxiety isn't a disorder in and of itself, it's just a state/experience.

What you choose to disclose on the form doesn't really matter at this point. Even if you choose not to discuss your difficulties at the moment then you will probably still be able to apply for help from the disability office if you get a diagnosis at a later point.

I would say that it seems (from what you describe and the fact that you sought out therapy) like you have/have had issues with your mental health. If you think so too then make sure you explain your issues in detail to your new therapist and aim to get a diagnosis so that you can get the help you need at uni.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.