Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone else really scared of dying? Watch

I'm not even 21 yet, and still at uni but recently Ive become paranoid just thinking about the fact I only have a limited amount of time to live and may not be able to acheve everything I want by the time my time is up. I am very ambitious and work hard but that leaves me stressed out and tired and it takes longer than I expect to get stuff done. I'm also more scared than most people of stuff like getting hurt etc (for example I have never been in a car accident but am always super careful when driving/crossing the road).

I grew up in an extremely unstable family (both my parents and several relatives have been in prison) whom I no longer have contact with but Im not sure if this is the issue. It meant I had to "catch up" with everyone else at uni in some sense because I hadn't done a lot of things most people my age had. Because of the course I do and my hobbies most of the people I meet are middle to upper class and though some are nice quite a few are snobby (my uni is small and has a very particular culture and type of student) and I feel behind them in a lot of ways. I am still catching up and often feel left out b/c I missed having a proper childhood and parents, and sometimes I worry the rest of my life is slipping away too. I have various religious beliefs and believe in an afterlife but it doesn't seem to help much.

Please keep anon or delete as I know quite a few people on here.

ReputationRep:
    Well, whether you like it or not, you're going to die. Do you want to waste your life thinking about something inevitable, or enjoy your time on earth before your mortality kicks in?

ReputationRep:
    You need to think of life less in terms of 'achievements' and more in terms of 'living in the moment'. Just try to enjoy life in the moment, that's all that really matters. If you die, then you die. I'd rather die having achieved nothing while enjoying myself (not at the expense of others) than having worked incredibly hard and been miserable. I think you're overestimating the 'catching up' required to be like everyone else at university. People at university party, might be part of a sport's team, might be good at a hobby etc., but that doesn't mean you have to be like them. Just set your own goals that you want to achieve, be it visiting a place (while enjoying yourself), developing a hobby (while enjoying yourself), etc. The more you worry about dying, the more time you waste. You will die eventually, you can't avoid it, maybe you will die in a freak accident but there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to accept it.

I had similar problems with a fear of dying which just escalated ridiculously, so I was having panic attacks every other night. The best advice I can give you is to talk to a psychologist or counsellor about it. Don't be afraid to search around for a good one who really understands you. Obviously you've had other issues in the past which may well be contributing to it. While I don't personally believe I'll ever 'get over it' fully, I have been taught good coping mechanisms which work well for me, which I needed to get someone professional to help me with.

Another thing which helped me was thinking about what it is I was actually scared of and thinking about whether it was the process of dying, or the presence an afterlife, or not existing any more, that I was actually afraid of. I then did a lot of research into it and found people online who felt the same as me which was really comforting.

ReputationRep:
    You have to live your life under the assumption that there is no afterlife, otherwise you may avoid doing things you wish, in hope that you can just do them after you die. 21 is the perfect age to not worry about death, you are in a very low risk age group. The constant stream of fatalities on the News distorts the reality of having a fatal accident. Try not to rush things, you have more than enough time to catch up and do what you desire, as long as you remind yourself what it is you want to do.

If you fear the 'Eternity' of death then here is a simple analogy to help. Before you were born you did not exist, you have no recollection of previous events preceding your existence. You have not existed for at least 13.7 billion years, yet you do not fear the time in which you did not exist. Rejecting the claim to the afterlife, when you die, you cease to exist; you ought not fear this as stated previously, non-existence conjures no thoughts of loneliness or emptiness.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more scared of pain than a death.

(Original post by twin)
    You have to live your life under the assumption that there is no afterlife, otherwise you may avoid doing things you wish, in hope that you can just do them after you die. 21 is the perfect age to not worry about death, you are in a very low risk age group. The constant stream of fatalities on the News distorts the reality of having a fatal accident. Try not to rush things, you have more than enough time to catch up and do what you desire, as long as you remind yourself what it is you want to do.

If you fear the 'Eternity' of death then here is a simple analogy to help. Before you were born you did not exist, you have no recollection of previous events preceding your existence. You have not existed for at least 13.7 billion years, yet you do not fear the time in which you did not exist. Rejecting the claim to the afterlife, when you die, you cease to exist; you ought not fear this as stated previously, non-existence conjures no thoughts of loneliness or emptiness.
    It's not about being religious or believing in an aferlife, though, it's about my life ending.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about little things that you have or haven't achieved because, and I don't mean for this to sound rude, none of it matters when you die. I mean yeah, people who achieve a lot might leave a legacy which is great- but you won't know anything about it; you'll be dead. Just do everything that you can to ENJOY your life, each and every moment. Don't waste time worrying about an inevitability.

ReputationRep:
    Fear of death is fear to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Don't think about little things that you have or haven't achieved because, and I don't mean for this to sound rude, none of it matters when you die. I mean yeah, people who achieve a lot might leave a legacy which is great- but you won't know anything about it; you'll be dead. Just do everything that you can to ENJOY your life, each and every moment. Don't waste time worrying about an inevitability.
    This!!
    -------
    and don't listen to fools who say 'live each day as if it is your last' - LOL that is depressing you'll be expecting death to knock on your door every second. Live each day as your first - now that's much better :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's the fear of death that bothers me, it's the fear of dying itself. I would like to avoid a painful if that's possible. But that's not really on my mind right now, I'm thinking more about trying to enjoy my life as much as I can before it's inevitably over.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Try and concentrate on your life at present; grab every opportunity with both hands and make the most of it.
    Personally, I'm not scared of dying. In fact, I'm kind of curious to see what lays ahead. I know people believe you simply cease to exist after dying, but I think believe there's something more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not even 21 yet, and still at uni but recently Ive become paranoid just thinking about the fact I only have a limited amount of time to live and may not be able to acheve everything I want by the time my time is up. I am very ambitious and work hard but that leaves me stressed out and tired and it takes longer than I expect to get stuff done. I'm also more scared than most people of stuff like getting hurt etc (for example I have never been in a car accident but am always super careful when driving/crossing the road).

I grew up in an extremely unstable family (both my parents and several relatives have been in prison) whom I no longer have contact with but Im not sure if this is the issue. It meant I had to "catch up" with everyone else at uni in some sense because I hadn't done a lot of things most people my age had. Because of the course I do and my hobbies most of the people I meet are middle to upper class and though some are nice quite a few are snobby (my uni is small and has a very particular culture and type of student) and I feel behind them in a lot of ways. I am still catching up and often feel left out b/c I missed having a proper childhood and parents, and sometimes I worry the rest of my life is slipping away too. I have various religious beliefs and believe in an afterlife but it doesn't seem to help much.

Please keep anon or delete as I know quite a few people on here.
    I used to be terrified. When i was younger i'd have to run downstairs to my mum every night to be comforted, because i used to cry and get really wound up about it (it only really happened when i was tired).
    But I haven't got upset about it in years partly because i've realised that there's no point - getting upset doesn't achieve anything (if anything it wastes the little time we have left), we just need to make the most of the life we have.
    But mostly it's because my faith in God has grown so much stronger. I firmly believe in an afterlife and as such i'm not scared because i know this isn't the end.
    You just need to find someone you can talk to about it, who will comfort you, and you'll feel a lot better

ReputationRep:
    Meh when the inevitable happens, it happens.

ReputationRep:
    I do fear death, even though I know it's ridiculous to be scared of it, since it's inevitable for all of us and I don't believe there's an afterlife. I'm not sure what brought it on but I've been thinking about it a lot lately and freaking myself out. I guess I'm scared of the "nothingness" after death, and the idea of all that makes me "me" will be lost.

I try to reassure myself and remember that when I'm dead, I'm not going to know or care about it. I'll just go back to the state I was in before I was born, and I don't remember that being particularly inconvenient.

ReputationRep:
    I've always had the odd panic at night when I start thinking about death. It has got to the stage now when I start to panic about my body and think I'm about to have a heart attack or something. It's a bit ridiculous but I do get genuinely really scared.
    For me it's the thought of not being with the people or things or places that I love and that really upsets me. It's that nothingness and just losing everything all at once which is the worst bit for me. I often tell myself once I'm dead I won't care or know it but that doesn't really help

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes i fear of dying of some sort of heart attack because i have fast food once a week and i don't eat any vegetables for tea so i guess you could say i'm unhealthy which concerns me. Although then again, i can't remember the last time i eat chocolate, sweets, probably years and i have been drinking only water and milk for years also so i guess i'm kind of balanced compared to the majority of teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not scared of dying but I am **** scared of dementia.

ReputationRep:
    It's scary knowing one day you won't be here anymore and the world will keep on going like you never existed :eek:

ReputationRep:
    if your religious and believe in heaven, you shouldnt be scared, but if your an atheist and scared i advise you to do research in making your life longer haha, and even make an imortality device haha

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.