The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by nukethemaly
I don't quite understand ppm calculations? Can somebody help me with that. Like maybe tell me a basic structure/formula I can use to work them out?

Multiply by 10,000
e.g. 0.0002% of methane would be 2ppm.

To get ppb, you would multiply by 10,000,000
Original post by super121
Multiply by 10,000
e.g. 0.0002% of methane would be 2ppm.

To get ppb, you would multiply by 10,000,000

Thank you!

how about when they ask about mass?
Reply 182
Thank you!

how about when they ask about mass?

Same method

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abzy1234
% to ppm= multiply by 10,000
ppm to %= divide by 10,000
:smile:

Thanks!
Reply 184
Thanks!

Can somebody please please please help me in this rock hard question
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2365732

I'm so unsure with ionic equations:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 185
don't you think there is a LOT to remember in this exam like at the stuff about the halogens, atmosphere and reactions
Reply 186
Original post by Welbeck
don't you think there is a LOT to remember in this exam like at the stuff about the halogens, atmosphere and reactions

I agree, F332 is LOADED with so much content!
Hi can someone please help me with this part of the spec "Explain the risks associated with the storage and transport of the halogens (fluorine to iodine)"

I've gone through all past paper mark schemes and can't compile a complete list. I know they are toxic/corrosive and that they should all be kept away from flames, but are there any specific ones for each halogen?

Cheers :biggrin:
Are there any trends or patterns shown throughout the past papers? And does anyone have an sample questions for the pre-release? Thanks
Reply 189
Original post by Aaaaa11111
Are there any trends or patterns shown throughout the past papers? And does anyone have an sample questions for the pre-release? Thanks

Flick through the previous pages in this thread and you'll find them :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by krisshP
Can somebody please please please help me in this rock hard question
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2365732

I'm so unsure with ionic equations:frown:

From the equation in the advanced notice, you can see that Na is a spectator ion, so just get rid of it. Then, split the reactants into ions (you know what chlorine in sodium chlorate had an oxidation state of 5 so it will be 2ClO3-). The same products form (minus sodium chloride), so all thats left to do is balance it. :smile:
Reply 191
From the equation in the advanced notice, you can see that Na is a spectator ion, so just get rid of it. Then, split the reactants into ions (you know what chlorine in sodium chlorate had an oxidation state of 5 so it will be 2ClO3-). The same products form (minus sodium chloride), so all thats left to do is balance it. :smile:

Why is Na a spectator ion, is it because its oxidation state does not change?
Reply 192

How come you split reactants into ions, but nor products? Btw what are ionic equations supposed to show us and how do they help us?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 193
Why did you minus sodium chloride?
Reply 194
Original post by krisshP
How come you split reactants into ions, but nor products? Btw what are ionic equations supposed to show us and how do they help us?

Thanks! :biggrin:

They show us what is oxidised and what is reduced.
Well, if we know how to use them, they help us by enabling us to pass the exam? :P

Original post by krisshP
Why did you minus sodium chloride?

Because they Sodium is not involved in the reaction (Sorry, I'm really bad at explaining things)
Reply 195
They show us what is oxidised and what is reduced.
Well, if we know how to use them, they help us by enabling us to pass the exam? :P

Because they Sodium is not involved in the reaction (Sorry, I'm really bad at explaining things)

Pass the exam hahahaha lol :biggrin:

Let's hope they don't give a scary question like this in the exam.

If sodium is a spectator ion, why did you get rid of the chlorines that are ended up being with Na?
Reply 196
Original post by krisshP
Pass the exam hahahaha lol :biggrin:

Let's hope they don't give a scary question like this in the exam.

If sodium is a spectator ion, why did you get rid of the chlorines that are ended up being with Na?

You're not really getting rid of it because it balances with the other chlorines.
Reply 197
You're not really getting rid of it because it balances with the other chlorines.

So with ionic equations the reactants are expressed as ions if they are aqueous and the products are never expressed as ions? The spectator ions are ions which have had no change in oxidation state and are not displayed in the ionic equations right?

Thanks
Reply 198
for nucleiphilic substitution, has someone got good way of explaining it to me when it is an a nuclepohile molecule cuch as h20. The main part I don't get is where the + comes from on the O (page 292 CI)
Reply 199
Original post by Welbeck
for nucleiphilic substitution, has someone got good way of explaining it to me when it is an a nuclepohile molecule cuch as h20. The main part I don't get is where the + comes from on the O (page 292 CI)

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/nucsub/water.html#top

Latest

Trending

Trending