Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I was wondering wether or not is sensible to apply for a PhD (theoretical/computational chem) in my situation:

University of Hull: 80+ average after 3 years

80 + prediction for 4th year -top 10 % in the class

4 months worth of research experience (2 month in computational/theoretical, 2 month in molecular electrochemistry) at Hull

1 year (industrial year) at one of the top 5 pharmaceutical companies in the world doing research related to computer aided drug discovery.

I just don't want to waste money during the application process, applying for place vets where I don't stand chance. And I know that the majority of the unis ask for a 2:1 but that's the minimum surely?

Plus do you have any advice in terms of where I should apply? Where I would have best chances of getting a conditional/unconditional offer?

Thank you so much in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danchemuk)
    Hello there,

I was wondering wether or not is sensible to apply for a PhD (theoretical/computational chem) in my situation:

University of Hull: 80+ average after 3 years

80 + prediction for 4th year -top 10 % in the class

4 months worth of research experience (2 month in computational/theoretical, 2 month in molecular electrochemistry) at Hull

1 year (industrial year) at one of the top 5 pharmaceutical companies in the world doing research related to computer aided drug discovery.

I just don't want to waste money during the application process, applying for place vets where I don't stand chance. And I know that the majority of the unis ask for a 2:1 but that's the minimum surely?

Plus do you have any advice in terms of where I should apply? Where I would have best chances of getting a conditional/unconditional offer?

Thank you so much in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'd be a credible applicant in most institutions, I'd have thought. You need to get a move on though because most studentships for a Sept 2013 start will be filled within a few weeks. Get on departmental and individual academics' websites and have a look. Don't restrict yourself to Chemistry- look at Pharmacy and Biosciences opportunities as well. Good luck, but get a move on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for 2014/2015 year not for this September. but thank you for your help so applying to Oxbridge would not be suicidal you don't think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danchemuk)
    I'm thinking of applying for 2014/2015 year not for this September. but thank you for your help so applying to Oxbridge would not be suicidal you don't think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Absolutely not. The worst they can say is No anyway. Don't get seduced by the lure of Oxbridge though- go where the best supervisor and facilities are for your particular interests. Whose papers have you read and throught "That's really good stuff"?

ReputationRep:
    You said that I would be a credible candidate "in most" institutions. Does that mean that some would not take me? If so which ones do you have in mind? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.