Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm planning to go to Durham queens campus for marketing and I've already been to open days (not the best but still good enough i think!) and wondering, is Stockton that dangerous? I went to school in surrey where nearest place to hang was east croydon, I visit Luton often maybe once a 2 week to see my gf and I currrently live in east london near Hackney and those three areas have reputation for its high crime rate. Is stockton even worse than them? Also, I saw this thread talking about how stockton is bringing Durham down but I swear its not THAT bad?! like for business subject league table they are not amazing but still better then average (15thish) Also, how long does it take to go to Newcastle from stockton because my gf is planning to go there? I heard that from durham it takes about20 min by train so does it take about hour from stockton??

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Durham Queen's campus in September, I don't think it's meant to be that bad. Overall the uni is one of the safest in the uk and from what I heard most students at Queens go up to Durham city on the free bus link for student nights out etc. In terms of employability and reputation you'll still have the Durham name on your degree so it doesn't make a difference in the long run.
    I'm hoping to move to student housing in Durham city after my first year at halls though and just commute down to the Queens campus for lectures because the city looks a lot nicer to live in and it's closer to Newcastle too.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't take long at all to get to Newcastle. I only go via the x1 because it's cheaper and I'm a tight b*****. By train, it's still not that long, much less than an hour if you get a direct line, rather than a connection.

In terms of roughness, hard to say. Stockton's smaller than a big city and I'm not sure of the crime statistics or how they stack up. From personal experience I've never had any trouble, nor have any of my close mates. However, I've heard of one or two people who have had trouble. I don't think there's any uni where you won't hear things like that though if you gossip enough, so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Ultimately, if you want to come here, bear in mind that the campus itself is like a distinct little environment encapsulated by the uni buildings, the river and the embankment on the far side of stevo. It doesn't feel like you're in stockton when you're there. It's a modern, clean, small campus. Whether that's your thing is entirely up to you of course.

When you're out and about in the north-east, being sensible and reducing your chances of being a victim of crime are up to you. It's perfectly easy with reasonable measures, but of course there will never be a guarantee.

I know this is not a definitive answer, but I find it hard to know how there could be about what your experience will be like here. If there's anything you want to ask about in more detail please quote me and I'll tell you more.

It's my last year as a Durham student, and I've loved being on Queen's Campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jyang95)
    Hey, I'm planning to go to Durham queens campus for marketing and I've already been to open days (not the best but still good enough i think!) and wondering, is Stockton that dangerous? I went to school in surrey where nearest place to hang was east croydon, I visit Luton often maybe once a 2 week to see my gf and I currrently live in east london near Hackney and those three areas have reputation for its high crime rate. Is stockton even worse than them? Also, I saw this thread talking about how stockton is bringing Durham down but I swear its not THAT bad?! like for business subject league table they are not amazing but still better then average (15thish) Also, how long does it take to go to Newcastle from stockton because my gf is planning to go there? I heard that from durham it takes about20 min by train so does it take about hour from stockton??
    Hiya,

If you've got concerns about crime, I recommend you do a bit of searching online to find the actual statistics, rather than rely on heresay from student forums.

For example, here's a website that allows you to compare crime in different areas by inputting postcodes; I used the address for Queen's Campus, and for East Croydon Railway Station as examples.
    http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/co...TS176BH+CR01LF
    There's about half as much crime, which I'd say means it's considerably safer.

On the other hand, comparing it with the postcode of the Science Site in Durham City, Stockton looks quite a bit worse.
    http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/co...TS176BH+DH13LE

Similarly, if you want to know about journey times, I'd recommend sticking the locations into a journey planner or ticket selling website.
    It tells me that getting between Durham and Stockton by train is incredibly awkward, and that it's much better to get the well advertised X1 service that goes from one campus to the other in ~40 minutes.
    Going between Newcastle and Stockton is a direct train that takes about an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jyang95)

Comming from Londons South East, I really cant see Stockton being that bad. It seems really nice to me. And the campus is completely separate anyway. But like you said, you live in Hackney...i should think we are good to go. hehe. i hope.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously their is nothing wrong with Stockton. I have lived in Stockton my whole life and nothing bad has ever happened to me it's a perfectly safe place to be just like any other town or city. Everywhere has its problems but Stockton for me has always been safe. It won't be to everyone's taste but I mean the area is perfectly fine particularly where the campus is. I'm going to study at Queens in September and will be living at home. Fantastic friendly place to be. It immediately felt great to be there as soon as I arrived. Really can't wait to start in Sept/October. Plus Stockton is close to Middlesbrough for shops and nightlife. Retail park up the road is huge with shops, bowling and cinema etc. Oh and the X1 goes straight to Durham in about 35 mins which is cool. Free too for Queens students. Oh and as for getting to Newcastle yeah train is brill but their is also a direct bus service the X10 from Stockton High Street. Gets you to centre of Newcastle easy in 40 mins. It's only about £6.00 return I think too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.