Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I've got a conditional offer for the Aeronautical engineering course 2013 at the University of Glasgow. Right now I'm in the position to actually select my top two unis. The thing is that Glasgow,unlike others, doesn't provide any imagery or videos with the faculty's facilities and labs.
    Any info (especially visual ) would be highly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I recently firmed Glasgow as my first choice for this course.
    They have pretty decent wind tunnels, better than Strathclyde's to my knowledge. They also have a small working jet engine in one of the labs. Unfortunately I don't know much more, they annoyingly cancelled the aeronautical tour at the recent open day due to short staff.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Aerospace Systems at Glasgow, they follow pretty much the same syllabus as pure aero for the first couple of years anyway.

In first year you'll take maths E1, which is pretty much advanced higher maths with a bit of an engineering perspective to it, I stress *a bit* it's still boring as sin. You'll also take electrical engineering - analogue electronics, which is pretty good, the labs are good and facilities are pretty standard, later on in the course the facilities improve as you use more technical stuff - all 1st and 2nd year labs are pretty standard across the board anyway...

Most of your practical time is either spent in the computing labs in the Aero/Mech building (james watt) or the Electonic engineering (rankine) building. the labs are pretty much standard computing labs - I wouldn't get too excited.

for mechanics and thermofluids it gets a bit more interesting - you spend a ****-load of time in the tuck lab in the james watt building. it's just been refurbished in the last year or so and it's really nice - all up to date stuff and it's huge.

I'm only finishing first year so I can't say a great deal on the rest of the course, but it's a pretty good uni and the course lecturers and lab guys are top-notch

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot!! that's all I need to know (actually more than what I thought somebody would tell me..!).most probably the uni of glasgow will be my first choice since the labs were my only doubt about it...I would also appreciate it if you could also inform me about the life in glasgow (cost of living,acommodation,etc) since you already study there..! thanks again for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Im studying my AS Levels Just wondering if this course allows a person to purse a career as an Aircraft Engineer.

Btw what A Levels did you study yourself & what grades did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImChrisM)
    I'm studying Aerospace Systems at Glasgow, they follow pretty much the same syllabus as pure aero for the first couple of years anyway.

In first year you'll take maths E1, which is pretty much advanced higher maths with a bit of an engineering perspective to it, I stress *a bit* it's still boring as sin. You'll also take electrical engineering - analogue electronics, which is pretty good, the labs are good and facilities are pretty standard, later on in the course the facilities improve as you use more technical stuff - all 1st and 2nd year labs are pretty standard across the board anyway...

Most of your practical time is either spent in the computing labs in the Aero/Mech building (james watt) or the Electonic engineering (rankine) building. the labs are pretty much standard computing labs - I wouldn't get too excited.

for mechanics and thermofluids it gets a bit more interesting - you spend a ****-load of time in the tuck lab in the james watt building. it's just been refurbished in the last year or so and it's really nice - all up to date stuff and it's huge.

I'm only finishing first year so I can't say a great deal on the rest of the course, but it's a pretty good uni and the course lecturers and lab guys are top-notch
    When u say its just advanced higher maths, I am not doing ah maths this year and have firmed this course. Do you think it will be really hard to pick it up in uni ?

ReputationRep:
    Since you didn't get a reply, i'll answer.

I did electrical and electronic engineering last year, so our courses had the same maths. I left from fifth year so I hadn't done adv. maths. I'ts not hard to pick up on really, they teach the course with the assumption that everybody has only done higher maths. Those that have done advanced higher maths tend to find first year maths really ​boring. They'll be at an advantage but it's not hard to learn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seyrose)
    I recently firmed Glasgow as my first choice for this course.
    They have pretty decent wind tunnels, better than Strathclyde's to my knowledge. They also have a small working jet engine in one of the labs. Unfortunately I don't know much more, they annoyingly cancelled the aeronautical tour at the recent open day due to short staff.
    Yay! Female Friend :jive:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchen102)
    When u say its just advanced higher maths, I am not doing ah maths this year and have firmed this course. Do you think it will be really hard to pick it up in uni ?
    Advanced Higher Maths was more understandable to me than Higher and I'm horrible at Maths ( Compared with others that where in the class) - I shouldn't think it will be terribly hard to pick up and there might be others that are coming from Higher maths or other education systems: All basically on the same boat

Does any one know if we get a maths test in the first week because I've been hearing rumours of it and don't want to be rusty if we do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Direct15)
    Yay! Female Friend :jive:
    Gotta love the gender ratio. I'm estimating.... less than 10 of us :P

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love the gender ratio. I'm estimating.... less than 10 of us :P
    It will be where's wally but I'm not really bothered by the gender ratio
    It will probably be easier for females in our course to make friends with the odds - which will be good, well for me anyways since I can't join in the drinking festivities until the end of January

ReputationRep:
    It will be where's wally but I'm not really bothered by the gender ratio
    It will probably be easier for females in our course to make friends with the odds - which will be good, well for me anyways since I can't join in the drinking festivities until the end of January
    Yeah its not an issue for me either :P
    Ah that's a bit gutting You'll boss the exams in December though are you staying in halls?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its not an issue for me either :P
    Ah that's a bit gutting You'll boss the exams in December though are you staying in halls?
    It will go down hill after December (or February, if I'm lucky)

I'm staying at home, the halls are quite expensive so I'll have to commute so I'm hoping I'll pass my driving test before then so I don't have the trains and subways to battle.

Are you staying in the halls? That's where the party is happing - very envious

ReputationRep:
    It will go down hill after December (or February, if I'm lucky)

I'm staying at home, the halls are quite expensive so I'll have to commute so I'm hoping I'll pass my driving test before then so I don't have the trains and subways to battle.

Are you staying in the halls? That's where the party is happing - very envious
    I live too far away to reasonably commute, so halls for me. Not got an offer yet cause I'm conditional, but hoping for QM. En suites YEAH Its meant to be quieter there too, don't think I could cope with the all-night-every-night parties of murano :/

ReputationRep:
    hello there, is anyone going to attend the MSc in Aero Engineering? i will do it in Sept.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.