Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This isn't part if the syllabus but I was wondering...once the amino acid chain has been made from the mRNA chain of a DNA section, what happens to the mRNA once its been used?

Does it just float around doing nothing?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The mRNA is either discareded or reused by the cell to make more proteins, after the first ones have been transported to the target.

ReputationRep:
    Probably broken down by certain enzymes, then the atoms can be used to form other compounds

ReputationRep:
    mRNA has a very short lifespan. i think it just breaks down. but it might be enzymes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They're broken down or read by another ribosome

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzzygirl)
    Thanks everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, it's broken down (by enzymes that attack the mRNA when it is uncapped at the 5' end and lacks the sequence at the 3' end.) - if it wasn't, it would continue to interact with the ribosomes and the protein would be constantly expressed (ie produced), which would result in a) excess of protein to an extent of inefficiency and b) depletion of the cells amino acids and resources. In some cases, it may also be directly detrimental to the cell.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought become the free floating nucleotoides that form in semi conservative replication but no thymine so not really sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yup ... mRNA gets chewed up by enzymes called ribonucleases ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loiks94)
    I would have thought become the free floating nucleotoides that form in semi conservative replication but no thymine so not really sure.
    when degrade by the enzymes, they become the RNA (not DNA) bases used to make more RNA strands (not DNA strands).

Careful not to get confused! You can't use RNA for DNA (apart from the primers)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.