Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your views on skydiving and people who do it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Someone on Facebook has just put themself skydiving as their profile pic so it made me think...although I admire them for their bravery in doing this, I do feel like it's a stupid risk that can simply be ignored and it makes me question their intelligence. I do not see what you gain from doing this unless it's a job or something. Seems like a pointless and incredibly dangerous risk for very little reward. I'm fine with people taking risks, but not pointless risks. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Good on them for doing something they enjoy; what is life without a little risk?

ReputationRep:
    only white people

ReputationRep:
    It's statistically far safer than many other activities, and it's fun.

People aren't 'ignoring' the risk, they're accepting it.

The very fact that all living things die should surely indicate to someone of your imposing intellect that living is intrinsically an unsafe activity.

ReputationRep:
    Skydived a few times last summer, by no means an expert at this but I think it's relatively safe compared to a lot of other "adventure" sports (e.g. motor racing or gliding)

ReputationRep:
    Living life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    "adventure" sports (e.g. motor racing or gliding)
    Gliding is also very safe, statistically speaking - much more so than activities such as horse riding, and nobody questions the intellect of another person just because they sit on the back of a horse. There's an old saying in gliding - "the most dangerous part of your day at the airfield is your drive to get there".

In response to the OP, someone who skydives is probably someone who has done a cost-benefit analysis, and realised that the risk to them is outweighed by the enjoyment they will get from skydiving, and this means that it's not a pointless risk. Everything we do carries an element of risk, and there's no point in trying to wrap ourselves in cotton wool. We're all going to die sooner or later, and life is for the living.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained
    Carpe diem
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    As someone who will skydive next year, and did a bungee jump two summers ago, the adrenaline rush is more than enough to justify the very minimal risk.

ReputationRep:
    lucky ****s

ReputationRep:
    my views are pretty high, but they quickly go down over time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    As someone who will skydive next year, and did a bungee jump two summers ago, the adrenaline rush is more than enough to justify the very minimal risk.
    Its well worth the risk!
    Even if I had a near death experience, I'd probably do it again and again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did a skydive in may last year and it wad one of the best things I've ever done in my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    Its well worth the risk!
    Even if I had a near death experience, I'd probably do it again and again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not allowed to do another one, but I would if I could

ReputationRep:

HNNNNNNNG

ReputationRep:
    yo how u dissing sky diving, man is flying in air u can be superman and shizzle

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go skydiving. I don't see what's wrong with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Someone on Facebook has just put themself skydiving as their profile pic so it made me think...although I admire them for their bravery in doing this, I do feel like it's a stupid risk that can simply be ignored and it makes me question their intelligence. I do not see what you gain from doing this unless it's a job or something. Seems like a pointless and incredibly dangerous risk for very little reward. I'm fine with people taking risks, but not pointless risks. What do you think?
    I did a tandem skydive in 2009 to raise money for charity and to overcome my fear of heights so it was a very rewarding experience for me.

I disagree that it's a stupid risk. There was more risk of me being killed in a road accident on the way to the airfield than me dying during the actual skydive. As someone else pointed out, life is risk. You risk your life every day when you cross the road or drive on the roads. The riskiest thing to do in life is to take no risks.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to try it, so jealous of everyone who's done it yes there's a risk involved but it's minimal and obviously people enjoy it, they wouldn't go back and do it again if they didn't. What's the harm in doing something you enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    I think those people are brave for doing it, looks amazing but i need to grow some balls first.

ReputationRep:
    Jealous of every lucky b*****d who does one!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.