Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I am hoping to do physics at university in Scotland and I was wandering if anyone who has or is doing physics at uni could tell me what they did as work experience and other activities they did.
    Thanks a lot if you can help out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm not a university student (well, until this September) and I haven't applied for Physics, but I have applied for life sciences and for my work experience I carried out a Nuffield Science Bursary. Basically, they provide work experience placements during the summer to hopeful science and engineering students. They last between 4-6 weeks and you have to complete a project report but they really are time well spent and I think writing about it on my personal statement helped my get back all 5 of my offers. Though, they are really competitive as there are only 1000 places across the country. Here is there website link: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MILLAR99)
    Hi.
    I am hoping to do physics at university in Scotland and I was wandering if anyone who has or is doing physics at uni could tell me what they did as work experience and other activities they did.
    Thanks a lot if you can help out.
    They have universities in Scotland?? Wow. Anyway, you don't need many extra-curricular stuff for Physics - it's mainly just the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jodie_668)
    Hi I'm not a university student (well, until this September) and I haven't applied for Physics, but I have applied for life sciences and for my work experience I carried out a Nuffield Science Bursary. Basically, they provide work experience placements during the summer to hopeful science and engineering students. They last between 4-6 weeks and you have to complete a project report but they really are time well spent and I think writing about it on my personal statement helped my get back all 5 of my offers. Though, they are really competitive as there are only 1000 places across the country. Here is there website link: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements
    Hope this helps
    Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    It really does not matter for any university up here; It's basically all based on grades. St Andrew's might be a bit different as from what I've seen, they have rejected people who get unconditionals to everywhere else in Scotland. I seem to remember speaking to a guy at one of the Edinburgh open days who said that when it comes to admissions, what they are really looking for is for people to be getting A's in Maths and Physics at Higher plus a few other subjects and that extracurricular were pretty irrelevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.