Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thought we should have a thread discussing these exams... I'm doing units 1A (Greek sculpture and architecture) and 2A (the Iliad).

I'm really struggling with the Iliad; does anyone have an example essay for the 20 mark and 30 mark essays? Also, is it true that we have to have a REALLY detailed knowledge of the poem and have to memorise quotes to use in the essays?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    You are not required to memorise quotes from the Iliad, but I think you should because it should be very useful, shows the examiner you have really engaged with the Poem. Know the context books inside out, I'm trying to read all of them as many times as possible, typically every night before I go to bed. The best quotes to learn are the more obscure ones that others may not pick up on, especially when you revise themes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also struggling with the Iliad revision In theory, you don't need to know any quotes, so long as you can show close references to the passage you're talking about i.e "In the passage where Achilles rejects Agamennon's offers for his return to the Greek army in Book 9". Quotes can help, and I'm going to try learning some, but not necessary. Paraphrasing is ok too.

We've been told to read the book over and over again, so to get a really good understanding of the plot. That is quite important, I've seen some very plot-based questions for 5 marks or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Also, really think about the parts of the poem you read. Sometimes, read a passage and think of all the possible interpretations you can.

ReputationRep:
    For Iliad revision I've just been making mind maps and re-reading summaries and the books to make sure I know what happens where and when. I had a mock Iliad and I know i made a mistake in the smaller mark ones, but that's not too bad because it's the big questions that give you marks. They're so difficult! My spontaneous writing skills are awful I feel sorry for the examiner that gets mine D:

Also, xtremepapers is a good website to use for past papers. Type it in on google. They are from before 2008 i believe, but despite the marking system they are really good for practices because AQA tend to recycle questions in different forms, so it's good to look at the mark schemes. It's surprisingly really easy to get marks! They're really good for testing your memory and understanding of the Iliad.
    Good luck! My Iliad exam is in 3 weeks D:

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,

for a levels weve been given a choice for which modules we can cover. One is literature based, and one combines an lot of art/architecture (both relating to thhe ancient olympics) has any one found any art based modules better? looking for advice!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing life and times of Cicero unit 1f? I'm also doing Iliad - anyone have any guesses about what might come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la2012)
    Anyone doing life and times of Cicero unit 1f? I'm also doing Iliad - anyone have any guesses about what might come up?
    I did Cicero last year and in our exam we were told to write about when he was governor of Cilicia, in response to a request from M. Caelius Rufus who asked him to send leopards for the games he was organising so hopefully you shouldn't get that one this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing UNIT 1A tomorrow?!

I'm cramming it all in now :/ :'(

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Cicero tomorrow and I'm pretty chill about it.

Spent the day reading the Second Philippic (confident on it all so I figured why not?). Re-reading the letters for a final time now.

Not sure what to do tomorrow morning. Probably a final look over everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtisticFlair)
    Is anyone doing UNIT 1A tomorrow?!

I'm cramming it all in now :/ :'(
    Also doing unit 1A (Sculpture and architecture) tomorrow- 9:00am so I won't even be able to revise in the morning much...
    Out teacher said we can most likely get by on sculpture without knowing the architecture side but not necessarily
    I also only just discovered that we're supposed to know approximate dates everything was sculpted rather than just the century... Yeah, I'll most likely help lower your grade boundaries tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedpenguin)
    Also doing unit 1A (Sculpture and architecture) tomorrow- 9:00am so I won't even be able to revise in the morning much...
    Out teacher said we can most likely get by on sculpture without knowing the architecture side but not necessarily
    I also only just discovered that we're supposed to know approximate dates everything was sculpted rather than just the century... Yeah, I'll most likely help lower your grade boundaries tomorrow
    Our teacher sent us revision guides for each, I would have sent them but I'm guessing it's a little too late? Yeah I know, architecture is so hard. Don't get it whatsoever. I'm praying the questions are nice... to be honest I'm more worried about English Literature in the afternoon, so I'm guessing if I'm less stressed for this I'll perform slightly better? Haha hope so. I'll discuss the questions with you tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    ARGH! It was going so well until I make a REALLY STUPID INACCURACY:
    I put down (in the 30 marker) that the East Pediment of the Temple of Aphaia at Aegina was the West Pediment, and vice versa! Argh!

Does anyone know if this will have any serious effect on my mark? I would say that the rest of my knowledge was accurate and I had a strong argument + my essay was well organised and analytical etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtisticFlair)
    ARGH! It was going so well until I make a REALLY STUPID INACCURACY:
    I put down (in the 30 marker) that the East Pediment of the Temple of Aphaia at Aegina was the West Pediment, and vice versa! Argh!

Does anyone know if this will have any serious effect on my mark? I would say that the rest of my knowledge was accurate and I had a strong argument + my essay was well organised and analytical etc.
    That might be like 1 mark lost but honestly I don't think it matters much as long as there was enough correct information in the essay as a whole... I have two friends who put Aristodeikos instead of the Kritios boy down in section B, but I did section A instead (so glad I actually revised temples in the end!)
    Did you do A or B and C or D?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedpenguin)
    That might be like 1 mark lost but honestly I don't think it matters much as long as there was enough correct information in the essay as a whole... I have two friends who put Aristodeikos instead of the Kritios boy down in section B, but I did section A instead (so glad I actually revised temples in the end!)
    Did you do A or B and C or D?
    Ooh I did the questions on sculpture for section 1, and then the violence question. No, I got them mixed up in the 30 mark question, not as a knowledge question in Section 1. Do you think I'd only lose one mark?

I felt as if I rambled a bit... I did the 30 marker on violence. I kept banging on about classical idealism and poses and how violence was actually quite effective. Didn't talk about the potential for movement... whoops :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CS the First)
    I'm doing Cicero tomorrow and I'm pretty chill about it.

Spent the day reading the Second Philippic (confident on it all so I figured why not?). Re-reading the letters for a final time now.

Not sure what to do tomorrow morning. Probably a final look over everything.
    How did you find the exam? I answered the question on verres which I was happy about particularly because of the friendship with Pompey q, then I answered the first one for the 30 marker, which also wasn't too bad!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to answer the 10 mark questions on the illiad? We didn't get much guidance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grimmreapervi)
    Does anyone know how to answer the 10 mark questions on the illiad? We didn't get much guidance
    My technique (hope this helps)
    I first read and annotate. Then i go through the passage chronologically and pick out specific quotes and analyse them, the examiner will look for narrative/ rhetorical devices etc. and I look at characterisation as well. I spend about ten minutes on this question and write about a page to a page and a half at most!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any 20 or 30 mark Odyssey questions that aren't in the past paper? I've run out of them.

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find it?

10 marker on the shield scene was horrid.

But the 20 mark (Achilleus' actions and what happens to him) and 30 mark (Patroklus & Alexandros - unnecessary - someone remind me of the word....) were okay.

20 mark: if I did 2 paragraphs for the divine interventions (one on what happens to Achilleus and one on what he does), and 2 paragraphs against the divide interventions (both on what he does), will I lose some marks?! xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.