The Student Room Group

AS French AQA - oral and written exam

Hi, thought it was weird that there was no thread about these upcoming exams. How's everyone revision going? What are your chosen topics for the oral?

I'm kind of scared... the listening on the past papers is so hard!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArtisticFlair
Hi, thought it was weird that there was no thread about these upcoming exams. How's everyone revision going? What are your chosen topics for the oral?

I'm kind of scared... the listening on the past papers is so hard!

HI OMG ME TOOOO! when's yours, mine is the 29th of april so less than 2 weeks omgg so scared!!!!! :frown:

my chosen topic is family, what about you??
Reply 2
Hi :smile: Ooh that's close! Mines the 10th May - still not long!! My chosen topic is television (so I don't have to talk about publicity or technology hehehe)

Pretty nervous :s-smilie: what's everyone doing for revision at the moment?
Reply 3
Original post by Student96
Hi :smile: Ooh that's close! Mines the 10th May - still not long!! My chosen topic is television (so I don't have to talk about publicity or technology hehehe)

Pretty nervous :s-smilie: what's everyone doing for revision at the moment?

Can someone explain the speaking format, my teacher didn't explain it well.
Chosen topic??

Reply 4
Original post by Smarticus
Can someone explain the speaking format, my teacher didn't explain it well.
Chosen topic??

Assuming you're AQA... It should be 2 and a half minutes on 5 questions from a speaking card you are given 20 minutes before the exam, 2 and a half on that same sub-topic area, then around 3 minutes on your chosen topic - the one you choose beforehand and teachers send to the examiner, then 2 x 3 minutes on the two other whole topics that you've not covered in either the card or nominated topic.

:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Student96

Assuming you're AQA... It should be 2 and a half minutes on 5 questions from a speaking card you are given 20 minutes before the exam, 2 and a half on that same sub-topic area, then around 3 minutes on your chosen topic - the one you choose beforehand and teachers send to the examiner, then 2 x 3 minutes on the two other whole topics that you've not covered in either the card or nominated topic.

:smile:

It is not really clear. So of I chose la publicité as my chosen topic, what restrictions do I have? Apparently I can't speak about television or cinema, is this true? Also, I choose one topic and the rest are chosen for me?

It is not really clear. So of I chose la publicité as my chosen topic, what restrictions do I have? Apparently I can't speak about television or cinema, is this true? Also, I choose one topic and the rest are chosen for me?

BASICALLY,

1) Stimulus card - 20 mins to prepare, then they ask you 5 questions followed by general discussion. IN THIS CASE, let's assume it is healthy lifestyle (health, sports, holidays)
2) Your presentation- you can't talk about TV or cinema after your chosen talk on advertising. Then they do a more general talk with you.
3) General conversation on ONE OF THE 2 TOPICS YOU HAVEN'T YET COVERED. Eg, in this case, it will be family and relationships (family, friends, marriage) or popular culture (cinema, music, fashion)
4) General discussion on TOPIC YOU HAVEN'T COVERED. In this case, let's say it is Popular culture.

And that's it!!

Anyone got any help they can give me? I'm sososososososoooo nervous :frown: and I actually feel sick. Mine is on the 29th of April so just a week left ARGHHH!!!
Reply 7
I have my oral tomorrow and I am so so soooo nervous :frown:

For revision I've just been learning vocab lists and key expressions from the text book and going through a few past questions that may possibly come up
Original post by ImprintMeJacob
BASICALLY,

1) Stimulus card - 20 mins to prepare, then they ask you 5 questions followed by general discussion. IN THIS CASE, let's assume it is healthy lifestyle (health, sports, holidays)
2) Your presentation- you can't talk about TV or cinema after your chosen talk on advertising. Then they do a more general talk with you.
3) General conversation on ONE OF THE 2 TOPICS YOU HAVEN'T YET COVERED. Eg, in this case, it will be family and relationships (family, friends, marriage) or popular culture (cinema, music, fashion)
4) General discussion on TOPIC YOU HAVEN'T COVERED. In this case, let's say it is Popular culture.

And that's it!!

Anyone got any help they can give me? I'm sososososososoooo nervous :frown: and I actually feel sick. Mine is on the 29th of April so just a week left ARGHHH!!!

Just make sure you have some ideas prepared for the topics, as that's the hardest part. And then when preparing the stimulus card try to get in some complex structures, as that's the time to do it. Don't worry about mistakes, just try to keep talking.

I had my as oral resit this week, and it honestly goes quickly!
Reply 9
Got my oral 7th of May, chosen topic is music (just to avoid getting fashion as an unprepared discussion :P). Haven't really revised that much but should probably start soon...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You choose a sub-topic, for example, la publicite. You then don't have to speak about the other two sub-topics from that general topic area i.e. la television et les nouvelles technologies. Yes, you choose one sub-topic to talk about, and within the speaking exam all other topic areas will be covered. Your teacher should really know all this as you are meant to submit your nominated topic well in advance, so definitely ask them what's going on! :smile:
Reply 11
Is it better to choose a weaker topic for the chosen topic? So you are not tripped up

Reply 12
what questions came up on the stimulus card for advertising does anyone know?
Any help mine is on FRIDAY!
Urgh mine is on 14th may and my mock is next tuesday D: i've chosen la famille and i haven't restricted myself because i thought that would be better haha. I chose remarriage as a question but blah i don't have much to say about that. Blur. Quel cauchemar :frown:
Reply 15
Has anyone completed theirs? Do you have any advice?

Reply 16
Original post by MurphyDanni
I have my oral tomorrow and I am so so soooo nervous :frown:

For revision I've just been learning vocab lists and key expressions from the text book and going through a few past questions that may possibly come up

I don't know how it is done elsewhere but at my college, I have written the whole exam, Q&A, out in full typed and printed into a neat booklet. I've then just memorised the text and spoken it out loud over and over again. A good technique is to practice fluency by speaking into a mirror.

Then in the actual exam I just hand over my script and off we go!
Reply 17
i had my German Oral last week and my French is on Wednesday, I'm not as nervous for french but apparently the cards aren't too bad, I hope.
I chose Cinema because I can't stand talking about fashion!
Bon Chance everyone :smile:
I had my oral exam on Tuesday and I was terrified, but it I couldn't have hoped for it to go any better if I'm honest, which was such a relief! :biggrin:
The questions on the cards are pretty easy (I thought so anyway) and as long as you include some topic specific vocabulary and try to use a few different tenses you'll be fine - don't force the tenses though, only use them if they fit with what you're trying to say.
How is everyone revising for the exam on the 21st? I've done some mocks in class but we didn't do the writing section which is the bit I'm most worried about and have no idea how to revise for?! :confused:
Urgh my speaking is on tuesday! I can't i can't i can't nope nope. So much stress and so much tiredness. Yeah same, we've been doing reading/listening/writing papers, but never got to the actual essay bits and normally did them at home. Whenever we do a timed essay on the spot i get like C/Bs, my accuracy is always so terrible D: But, i think for the essay, shove as much content in as possible because that's the highest mark (out of 20!) so if your accuracy and stuff is crappy it shouldn't matter too much, that's what happens with me anyway :3
Basically i'm nervous for everything french and exam related.

Quick Reply

Latest