Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a first year English student, however I really don't think I am enjoying it. I've always wanted to work in medicine, but there were complications at school that prevented those things from ever happening. I am currently looking at switching to Radiography, which I think might suit me more. It is something I find really fascinating.

HOWEVER. I am an English student, and I really do think like one. I am wondering if anyone thinks it is worth changing now? I was never very good at maths at high school and although I enjoyed science, I don't think I was ever that great at it.

I'm really not sure what to do: stick English out, even though most of the time I feel miserable and angry, or look to do something new?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brownie anyone?)
    I am currently a first year English student, however I really don't think I am enjoying it. I've always wanted to work in medicine, but there were complications at school that prevented those things from ever happening. I am currently looking at switching to Radiography, which I think might suit me more. It is something I find really fascinating.

HOWEVER. I am an English student, and I really do think like one. I am wondering if anyone thinks it is worth changing now? I was never very good at maths at high school and although I enjoyed science, I don't think I was ever that great at it.

I'm really not sure what to do: stick English out, even though most of the time I feel miserable and angry, or look to do something new?
    Well if you have the required A Levels and grades I see no problem.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not enjoying your degree I'd strongly suggest you speak to your advisor of studies about your concerns explore your options. English to Radiography is a big jump in terms of field (Arts to Sciences) so there may be some hefty prerequisites such as A-levels or work experience or the like in order to get on the course.

I would advise against enduring a degree program when your heart's not in it. Most likely you'll have trouble finding the motivation to get the work done to your highest standard and not do as well as you're able to.

You may have to take a year out, secure some science qualifications and work experience before reapplying to the course but I'm not entirely sure. So, yeah - speak to your advisor!

Hope that helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.