Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong to spend money whilst there are homeless people out there? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong for my parents to buy me an xbox, whilst there are homeless youth in our city who live in hostels if they are lucky? Is it wrong for them to kiss me goodnight, but not go down to the orphanage and kiss them goodnight too?
    Instead of walking past the homeless, should we let them stay in our houses?
    Everyone thinks that they are good people, but we are not treating others how we would like to be treated.
    I just don't understand the world, it seems so unfair if you don't have parents supporting you until you finish college and can stand on your own 2 feet.
    I study hard at college and do really well, but I only have to work a few hours part time each week, and my parents pay the rest, and it just makes me think of how impossible it must be to have no family and a low education, and how impossible it must be to become educated when in that situation.
    Everyone that I know at my university, has at least one parent caring from them, and a home.
    I go to church every week as well, but actually what is the point? By going to church we are not helping anyone, I bet most people in the church wouldn't lift a finger for a homeless person.
    Am I misunderstanding how the world works? Or is it just a really cruel world? I would love to think that the western world is fair, and if you work hard and are a nice person you will have a nice life, but I'm not sure that is true unless you are born into a good family.

no one chooses to be homeless. Sometime it happens because of family breakdown or abuse, or losing your job when it is not your fault. Sure if you made yourself homeless, then I guess you could argue that it is fair enough, but a lot of the time this isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong for my parents to buy me an xbox, whilst there are homeless youth in our city who live in hostels if they are lucky? Is it wrong for them to kiss me goodnight, but not go down to the orphanage and kiss them goodnight too?
    Everyone thinks that they are good people, but we are not treating others how we would like to be treated.
    I just don't understand the world, it seems so unfair if you don't have parents supporting you until you finish college and can stand on your own 2 feet.
    I study hard at college and do really well, but I only have to work a few hours part time each week, and my parents pay the rest, and it just makes me think of how impossible it must be to have no family and a low education, and how impossible it must be to become educated when in that situation.
    Everyone that I know at my university, has at least one parent caring from them, and a home.
    I go to church every week as well, but actually what is the point? By going to church we are not helping anyone, I bet most people in the church wouldn't lift a finger for a homeless person.
    Am I misunderstanding how the world works? Or is it just a really cruel world? I would love to think that the western world is fair, and if you work hard and are a nice person you will have a nice life, but I'm not sure that is true unless you are born into a good family.

no one chooses to be homeless. Sometime it happens because of family breakdown or abuse, or losing your job when it is not your fault. Sure if you made yourself homeless, then I guess you could argue that it is fair enough, but a lot of the time this isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    The world isn't fair, but you can't rectify that by yourself. You should just do your share of good deeds; it'll do you some good as well by the sounds of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)

No spending money is good, it keeps the economy going. Imagine if everyone held onto all their money and spent the minimum, all these shops would go out of business, people would lose jobs etc etc.

Just dont spend recklessly.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it is wrong, but you really can't carry on like that, you'll drive yourself mad.

ReputationRep:
    What a **** thread. It's not your fault the world is a bad place. It's a shame for those people - every Christmas I give the first homeless person I see a £10 note And I give the odd pound here and there through the weeks when I see some. Of course it's a sorry state of affairs, but why would you feel guilty for spending your hard earned cash because other people don't have money? Behave.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. the world isn't that hard without parents (vs having them supporting you financially). I have no parents who are supporting me through my education. I have a job, a house & a car. Life is what you make it.

ReputationRep:
    well you could dedicate your life to helpingthem? open up a hostel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    P.S. the world isn't that hard without parents (vs having them supporting you financially). I have no parents who are supporting me through my education. I have a job, a house & a car. Life is what you make it.
    ignorance, the pure kind.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately life is not fair. If you feel really bad then you should volunteer with a charity for the homeless or donate some money to it. Buy some breakfast or coffee for some sometimes. Good deeds like that can make someone's day. Just don't feel bad because you've a caring family and others don't.

ReputationRep:
    If you come from a family where your parents have decent jobs, are good people and support you well, the important thing is to be mindful that some people are not so lucky and to give it consideration and thought as you go around in life and not 'look down' on others who do not have your advantages.

ReputationRep:
    Go volunteer in your local homeless shelter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    ignorance, the pure kind.
    Ignorance? I highly doubt that buddy. I used to think I relied on my parents as much as the next person. But when you stand on your own two feet, it's not as scary as you first thought.

That was the message in that last post. And no, that is not ignorance. It's fact.

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about education and homeless people in the west?
    What about the millions living in South America, Africa and South Asia?

Sometimes I do think the world is unfair, in the west we have smart phones, all the tech we use, food and money we waste, we're trying to reach far out into space aswel, and there are people living in conditions we couldn't even think of, living off a few dollars a day, having to have to walk miles for the nearest hospital etc...

(A flimsy source, I know) But on one of those twitter fact pages... there are 18 million empty houses in the US, and 6 million homeless people, also we could wipe out poverty overnight with the UK's arms deference budget (poverty or hunger) not too sure, China spent $43,000,000,000 on the Olympics in 2008, $43bn, is it just me or should we be developing "everyone/ everywhere" again another flimsy analogy, but you know in monopoly you have to build houses on all property's before buying a second house?

And even if people do start donating money... apparently only 40% of the money donated is filtered down to the people who need it, 60p out of every pound is taken by corrupt government officials, one example is the situation in Uganda; (I think it was Uganda, heard this in a Lecture) pregnant women have to travel miles on foot to the nearest hospitals for checkups and treatments, they have to walk before giving birth, the couple in the documentary had to walk for 3 days before they reached the hospital, the hospitals "theater" was a stained/ bloody wooden table with a saw and other "tools" used in operations and procedures, and still the government continues to buy FIGHTER JETS from Russia

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all u pay taxes for homeless people... ( not enough is my opnion, but oke )... lett say its reasonable...

Then second of all u can help a homeless person bu taking him in and take care of him,, but thats a litle risk, because he can for example turn ur house up saide down,,, or steal ....

I tried in one day taking in a UK boy, who was sleeping outside in Holland, and then the next day i woke up, and het stole my gitar, left a note saying "i am gonne pay back"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwinemanuelposse)
    Well first of all u pay taxes for homeless people... ( not enough is my opnion, but oke )... lett say its reasonable...

Then second of all u can help a homeless person bu taking him in and take care of him,, but thats a litle risk, because he can for example turn ur house up saide down,,, or steal ....

I tried in one day taking in a UK boy, who was sleeping outside in Holland, and then the next day i woke up, and het stole my gitar, left a note saying "i am gonne pay back"
    Did he pay you back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    What a **** thread. It's not your fault the world is a bad place. It's a shame for those people - every Christmas I give the first homeless person I see a £10 note And I give the odd pound here and there through the weeks when I see some. Of course it's a sorry state of affairs, but why would you feel guilty for spending your hard earned cash because other people don't have money? Behave.
    Ok, so i will get a good job as i'm doing a good degree and never have to worry about money, but I also had a stable enough and comfortable upbringing, this makes it easy for me to do well, and then say "why should i give any of my hard earned money to some homeless guy". Truth is, that homeless guy probably had an awful childhood and crappy parents, and has given up on life because it has been so cruel.
    My life has been so much easier, so it is unfair for me to say that he doesn't want a good job. Benefits are so **** for people under 25, that it makes studying for A levels nearly impossible for homeless youths, so they get caught in the trap of job seekers allowance, minimum wage and temporary work and therefore no extra money for savings. After 5 years of that, I would be giving up too. Do you see my point. I think that homeless people need love and attention, like my parents give me, but I don't realistically know how that can be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    If you come from a family where your parents have decent jobs, are good people and support you well, the important thing is to be mindful that some people are not so lucky and to give it consideration and thought as you go around in life and not 'look down' on others who do not have your advantages.
    But being mindful that I have good parents and live in a nice area is the same as doing nothing. I am being selfish. If my parents kicked me out and adopted a random homeless person of the street and really loved and nutured them like they do me, then I'm sure that homeless person would be far more likely to actually achieve a meaniful life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    But being mindful that I have good parents and live in a nice area is the same as doing nothing. I am being selfish. If my parents kicked me out and adopted a random homeless person of the street and really loved and nutured them like they do me, then I'm sure that homeless person would be far more likely to actually achieve a meaniful life.
    Well, I wasn't advocating "doing nothing". There are a range of useful things you can do, ranging from charitable work and giving to political activism against the causes of homelessness, short of the act of self-sacrificially surrendering your comfortable place in the home to a homeless person. Which of course remains your choice, but is presumably less desirable for most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    Ok, so i will get a good job as i'm doing a good degree and never have to worry about money, but I also had a stable enough and comfortable upbringing, this makes it easy for me to do well, and then say "why should i give any of my hard earned money to some homeless guy". Truth is, that homeless guy probably had an awful childhood and crappy parents, and has given up on life because it has been so cruel.
    My life has been so much easier, so it is unfair for me to say that he doesn't want a good job. Benefits are so **** for people under 25, that it makes studying for A levels nearly impossible for homeless youths, so they get caught in the trap of job seekers allowance, minimum wage and temporary work and therefore no extra money for savings. After 5 years of that, I would be giving up too. Do you see my point. I think that homeless people need love and attention, like my parents give me, but I don't realistically know how that can be done.
    I do see your point. But you're being naive. Not everyone will be educated. Or have savings. Or a nice house. People will sometimes 'just get by' this is how the world works. If everyone had a million pounds, there would be no value to that million pounds.

A lot of homeless people come from well off families with loving parents actually - do not stereotype :P

You asked if we should feel guilty. The answer is no. There will never be an end to poverty. Somewhere in the world people will always need assistance. Get on with your own life and contribute by charitable donations maybe? If we all do that it can make a very small dent in a never ending problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.