Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just had a call about a "Market Researcher" job, where apparently you go to people's homes and ask questions for surveys. (I think I applied through Directgov).

In one piece of paperwork, it's described as "freelance", and apparently you're either given addresses or just "an area", then you try to undertake some interviews, go home and send the data back to HQ via the internet...

Is this real, or a scam?

(Leaving aside any opinions of the job, of course (beggars can't be choosers)).

Also, as well as being e-mailed a pretty standard looking application form, they have also requested an official document with my NI number and a copy of my driving licence (paper and plastic). I can just about understand why they would want these, although not before I've even been for an interview.

Plus, they want a copy of a recent utility bill and every page of my birth certificate.

I think even the Directgov job website itself, states that you shouldn't give out D.O.B. or copies of ID before you actually have the job, because scammers are using it to steal people's identities, etc.

Any thoughts? Is it normal to request all of this information before even an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I don't see why they'd ask for all those documents, when you haven't even had the interview yet! Seems a little odd, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no reason they would need your birth certificate or any form of ID just to fill out an application form. Google the company name, see what you get

ReputationRep:
    The new universal jobmatch system has quite an issue with scammers.

I have found a few in my job hunt that I have reported through the universal jobmatch system and I have gotten the same response every time of "they agreed to our terms and conditions" therefore, we trust them not to scam you...

ReputationRep:
    Politics Student - Yes, there are lots that are very clearly scams, this one I wasn't so sure about.

Skarm - Thanks for the suggestion, I already have and it seems legit (Kantar Operations?), however, the man I spoke to said that it would be much better to just scan and e-mail the stuff, rather than post photocopies...

Does anyone know if this specific job exists, or anything about the company?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user45854)
    Politics Student - Yes, there are lots that are very clearly scams, this one I wasn't so sure about.

Skarm - Thanks for the suggestion, I already have and it seems legit (Kantar Operations?), however, the man I spoke to said that it would be much better to just scan and e-mail the stuff, rather than post photocopies...

Does anyone know if this specific job exists, or anything about the company?
    No the job you have linked is very clearly a scam and they are breaking the terms of agreement concerning personal information.

Essentially this is a clear case of identity theft and you need to report this job advert ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Scam just passport or driving licence in person. To prove id for a job. Please dont send him anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Damn.

I filled out the forms, but didn't scan any of my docs, replied to the e-mail asking if I could delay the document copying until after the interview, if they wanted to offer me the job...

Got a reply to the e-mail yesterday basically saying "company policy, you need to send them".

I just thought I'd wait and see if anyone here had any dealings with this company or a similar job, if not I'd e-mail and withdraw my application. BUT, he's just called me back today asking for the docs, he needs them because "training starts next week". Typical salesman patter - hurry!

Really annoying because the job, the hours and the pay sounded really good; but then I suppose if it's a con, they would do, wouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just had a call about a "Market Researcher" job, where apparently you go to people's homes and ask questions for surveys. (I think I applied through Directgov).

In one piece of paperwork, it's described as "freelance", and apparently you're either given addresses or just "an area", then you try to undertake some interviews, go home and send the data back to HQ via the internet...

Is this real, or a scam?

(Leaving aside any opinions of the job, of course (beggars can't be choosers)).

Also, as well as being e-mailed a pretty standard looking application form, they have also requested an official document with my NI number and a copy of my driving licence (paper and plastic). I can just about understand why they would want these, although not before I've even been for an interview.

Plus, they want a copy of a recent utility bill and every page of my birth certificate.

I think even the Directgov job website itself, states that you shouldn't give out D.O.B. or copies of ID before you actually have the job, because scammers are using it to steal people's identities, etc.

Any thoughts? Is it normal to request all of this information before even an interview?
    I would stay well clear. My wife had problems with these kinds of jobs (including one trying to charge £350 for a 'training course' before they even gave her an interview.)

Information on the job:

Its a reasonably well know kind of 'scam' (but it is legal, through loopholes). You are not paid a wage, you are classified as self employed and so are not subject to minimum wage. You are paid 100% commission. A large portion of which the company 'employing' you will keep (often 40% area). They may also 'hold' your wages for large period of times.

You can earn money, but chances are you will be on a very low wage for many many hours work - some days you won't be able to get anyone to sign up for anything and you won't get paid.

There are a lot of these advertised because they typically have a huge turnover.

The application is actually pretty honest, my wife nearly quit her job after she applied for one of these where they basically made up everything they told her (said she would have a certain wage etc and wouldn't be going door to door) luckily we found out via google before she handed in her notice.

That is if the job is even real - even if it is they shouldn't be asking for all those details. DO NOT HAND THEM OVER! There is no reason they need any of that to hire you.

ReputationRep:
    I work for the (sjs) stop job scammers company in the it office we detect these fake jobs daily .they do this to get your personal details and cv then slowly know your details pasport copy drivers license with adress plus signature and will scam you so do not send .report it to the police so they can track the ip adress and beware!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Damn.

I filled out the forms, but didn't scan any of my docs, replied to the e-mail asking if I could delay the document copying until after the interview, if they wanted to offer me the job...

Got a reply to the e-mail yesterday basically saying "company policy, you need to send them".

I just thought I'd wait and see if anyone here had any dealings with this company or a similar job, if not I'd e-mail and withdraw my application. BUT, he's just called me back today asking for the docs, he needs them because "training starts next week". Typical salesman patter - hurry!

Really annoying because the job, the hours and the pay sounded really good; but then I suppose if it's a con, they would do, wouldn't they?
    As I have said before. Report the job listing to the website it is hosted on. I would also send copies of the emails and job listing to the police as this is clearly identity theft.

Hence why the job looks so good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.