Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the iodine clock with hydrogen peroxide.
    i know that in respect with I the order is first, in respect to H202 its first. However for H+ ions, im not sure whether its first or zero. ive read several different things, and now i'm just so confussssed:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izar)
    I'm doing the iodine clock with hydrogen peroxide.
    i know that in respect with I the order is first, in respect to H202 its first. However for H+ ions, im not sure whether its first or zero. ive read several different things, and now i'm just so confussssed:confused:
    It's zero order for H+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakRob)
    It's zero order for H+
    i got first order
    how can i tell from a half-life graph that its zeroth order? because for a first order, the half lives remain constant..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izar)
    i got first order
    how can i tell from a half-life graph that its zeroth order? because for a first order, the half lives remain constant..
    Is this not for the iodine clock, whereby you'd be timing how long it takes for a colour change to occur. and that would be time, t. then to calculate initial rate of reaction, you would simply use 1/t which is proportional to initial rate of reaction.

Then when you plot that on a graph you should get a constant horizontal line.

However for concentration against time graphs look at the image attached, it has examples shown.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Is this not for the iodine clock, whereby you'd be timing how long it takes for a colour change to occur. and that would be time, t. then to calculate initial rate of reaction, you would simply use 1/t which is proportional to initial rate of reaction.

Then when you plot that on a graph you should get a constant horizontal line.

However for concentration against time graphs look at the image attached, it has examples shown.

ahh that means all my data and graphs are wrong for the H+, btw how do you know its zeroth order?
    and thank you so much, i actually understand it now <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izar)
    ahh that means all my data and graphs are wrong for the H+, btw how do you know its zeroth order?
    and thank you so much, i actually understand it now <3
    I only know its zeroth order from a task that I did in chemistry regarding this reaction.

ReputationRep:
    It should be zero order

ReputationRep:
    I only know its zeroth order from a task that I did in chemistry regarding this reaction.

(Original post by grassgrazers01)
    It should be zero order
    Thank you guys <3
    @grassgrazers have you done the coursework?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izar)
    Thank you guys <3
    @grassgrazers have you done the coursework?
    I've done the iodine clock using different chemicals, but a friend of mine did it with hydrogen peroxide. He experimentally found the order of H+ ions to be zeroth, and this was later confirmed by my teacher

ReputationRep:
    It should be zero order
    Indeed, it is a Harcourt-Essen reaction and should hold zero order
    The reaction needs H+ ions to acidify it and thus reduce the H2O2.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the iodine clock using different chemicals, but a friend of mine did it with hydrogen peroxide. He experimentally found the order of H+ ions to be zeroth, and this was later confirmed by my teacher

(Original post by Chunnikan Smudge)
    Indeed, it is a Harcourt-Essen reaction and should hold zero order
    The reaction needs H+ ions to acidify it and thus reduce the H2O2.
    So can i just check... its first order for H2O2 and I , but zero order for H+?
    thanks guys :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izar)
    Yes, thats correct for all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izar)
    Yes indeedy :3

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeedy :3
    thank you pumpkin :hugs:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.