Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recently I've been feeling particularly down about my studies in school and becoming increasingly anxious about getting into university. I've always struggled with self-esteem and have had other health issues in the past which have always led to me having very negative feelings. I'm afraid that I'm getting very depressed now and really isolating myself from everyone, and that it will affect my alevels in may/june. I didn't know where else to write for advice on just surviving the final weeks of school and these last set of exams. Any help on motivational techniques or ways to make yourself more happier would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi Anonymous,

I finished college in June last year and started university in the following September. I have some problems with anxiety but I found that having all that time off a no plans made me feel really down and didn't really want to interact with anyone, I made an appointment with my GP and he prescribed me a course of anti-depressants which really did help. I know your situation is slightly different but if you are worried that you might be depressed you should maybe make an appointment to see your GP and perhaps they could prescribe you something to help and perhaps refer you to a counselor or another type of therapist to help with your self-esteem.

Good luck,

Lucy

ReputationRep:
    Hey anon, I have 3 friends who suffer from depression and I've helped one of them through to recovery, the other two are unfortunately still in depression stage :/

Things that help them when they're low are:

-Taking time out to write a diary/journal and letting things go
    -Writing stresses out on pieces of paper and ripping them up/scrunching them up etc
    -Making timetables for revision with timetabled breaks (sense of control over revision)
    -Going for walks
    -Listening to uplifting music
    -Playing their favourite sport (swimming/badminton/cheerleading)
    -Drawing
    -Playing on a mindless app game or something similar like temple run etc

That's all I can think of atm but feel free to pm me

And also, what misslucy1590 said is a valid point - go see a GP and explain your situation and any mental health issues that you think you might have. They might be able to help you out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently I've been feeling particularly down about my studies in school and becoming increasingly anxious about getting into university. I've always struggled with self-esteem and have had other health issues in the past which have always led to me having very negative feelings. I'm afraid that I'm getting very depressed now and really isolating myself from everyone, and that it will affect my alevels in may/june. I didn't know where else to write for advice on just surviving the final weeks of school and these last set of exams. Any help on motivational techniques or ways to make yourself more happier would be greatly appreciated
    The NHS books on prescription service recommends 'Overcoming Low Self-Esteem' by Dr Melanie Fennell. It was also recommended to me by my Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. I've read the book but it didn't really teach me anything new as my self-esteem has improved a lot over the years and I had already read a lot of self-help books prior to reading that so was already familiar with a lot of the principles and advice. It's worth a read though if you don't have the foundation/background that I have.

Social isolation is a typical symptom of Depression. Google the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ9) and fill it in and see what score you get. As a general rule of thumb, the higher you score. the more severely depressed you are. If you're scoring quite high on it (over 17 points) I would recommend booking an appointment with your GP who may give you medication and/or refer you for therapy such as counselling/Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

I've had Depression for ten years and the best advice I can give is to get professional help and deal with it straight away. Medication can help with the physical side effects of Depression but you also need to deal with the underlying causes of your Depression which is why therapy/self-help is important to do in combination with the medication.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.