Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Earlier today, famed and respected film reviewed Roger Ebert lost his battle with cancer.

Although I often disagreed with his reviews, he was nonetheless an excellent film critic, and he'll be missed.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni50555553/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askew116)
    Earlier today, famed and respected film reviewed Roger Ebert lost his battle with cancer.

Although I often disagreed with his reviews, he was nonetheless an excellent film critic, and he'll be missed.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni50555553/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1
    Ohh, that's really sad, I found him a terrific reviewer, he wasn't always right (no critic is) but when he was, he was incredibly spot on and he wrote really well.

ReputationRep:
    Was a terrible critic IMO, especially in the last ten years where he would give mediocre movies 4 star reviews. It's sad though that he has died I suppose. Now Mark Kermode is a proper movie critic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ohh, that's really sad, I found him a terrific reviewer, he wasn't always right (no critic is) but when he was, he was incredibly spot on and he wrote really well.
    I know what you mean. He gave my all time favourite movie a very mediocre review, but when I read some of his other reviews, I felt he had a way of expressing problems and/or strong points of movies that I couldn't quite describe myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkertailor)
    Was a terrible critic IMO, especially in the last ten years where he would give mediocre movies 4 star reviews. It's sad though that he has died I suppose. Now Mark Kermode is a proper movie critic.
    Kermode's a good guy and I always enjoy hearing from him on the BBC. Ebert was a different type of thing - he was much more wide-ranging and systematic and his website was and still is (let's hope it survives!) a great trove of useful and interesting thoughts about thousands of films.

The Time Out London site is also very good and I've generally found it instructive to compare what they say with what one or two other critics, including Ebert, think.

ReputationRep:
    Both him and Gene Siskel, his collaborator, lost their battle to cancer.
    Ebert was one of the most influential critics, that is beyond doubt, and I hope he is at peace after eleven years of battle.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more. A ''thumbs up'' for Ebert and Siskel. If you get my reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amineamine2)
    Couldn't agree more. A ''thumbs up'' for Ebert and Siskel. If you get my reference.
    Some really nice obituaries popping up on him. Here's the Guardian.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/apr/04/roger-ebert

ReputationRep:
    Kermode's a good guy and I always enjoy hearing from him on the BBC. Ebert was a different type of thing - he was much more wide-ranging and systematic and his website was and still is (let's hope it survives!) a great trove of useful and interesting thoughts about thousands of films.

The Time Out London site is also very good and I've generally found it instructive to compare what they say with what one or two other critics, including Ebert, think.
    I would imagine they will maintain his site. It's a great site to delve into the mind of someone who really thought about films and life and how the two intertwined. It's one thing for him to be taken from us but a completely different thing if his legacy is taken away from us.

ReputationRep:
    Some really nice obituaries popping up on him. Here's the Guardian.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/apr/04/roger-ebert
    Touching. I remember a while ago, I was watching a Youtube clip on Ebert's reaction to Siskel's death from cancer, back in 1999. He didn't know that he would face the same faith a decade and a half later. Reminds you of how unpredictable life is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I would imagine they will maintain his site. It's a great site to delve into the mind of someone who really thought about films and life and how the two intertwined. It's one thing for him to be taken from us but a completely different thing if his legacy is taken away from us.
    Let's hope they do keep it going. There will of course remain his Movie Yearbooks and Great Movies and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa he's dead?! Damn. He's a heavyweight in the film critic world. Very sad. I haven't listened to the Kermode show today. I wonder if he'll mention it as he was a great admirer (and friend I presume) .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I loved Buzzfeed's article on some of his reviews; hilarious.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/r...pic-movie-pans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linnerzx)
    I loved Buzzfeed's article on some of his reviews; hilarious.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/r...pic-movie-pans
    Thor at no.9?
    The Village?

I disagree on both counts. Both enjoyable movies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today's Telegraph post-obit reflection makes some good points, I think he's right to compare Ebert with some of the great critics of the past like Tynan and Larkin.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...rilliance.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Thor at no.9?
    The Village?

I disagree on both counts. Both enjoyable movies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't have to necessarily agree with his comments, I liked one or two of the films he mentioned but appreciate not everybody has the same taste as me? I still thought his use of words were greatly humorous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkertailor)
    Now Mark Kermode is a proper movie critic.
    Yes, and so it's such a shame he fritters away most of his air-time congratulating himself about how brilliant his 'wittertainment' drivel is and reading out rrrrrselicking letters from listeners. What an absolutely un-listenable, circle jerk that show has become.

shame about ebert, he seemed a lovely chap even though a lot of his reviews were crud

ReputationRep:
    Big loss for the film community, very few reviewers commanded such respect as Roger. Supposedly he was a real gentleman too.

So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies.
    His last words on his journal, extremely fitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    Yes, and so it's such a shame he fritters away most of his air-time congratulating himself about how brilliant his 'wittertainment' drivel is and reading out rrrrrselicking letters from listeners. What an absolutely un-listenable, circle jerk that show has become.

shame about ebert, he seemed a lovely chap even though a lot of his reviews were crud
    I love the show. Mark's reviews are really good. I often disagree but he puts his points across well. The longer format doesn't quite work as good IMO. I get bored with some of the interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I love the show. Mark's reviews are really good. I often disagree but he puts his points across well. The longer format doesn't quite work as good IMO. I get bored with some of the interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes, I felt is was infinitely better in its old form. that was also before they started trying their hand at lots of memes and 'humour'. adam and joe they aint. kermode's reviews can often be funny, but they simply can't 'do' funny when it's self aware.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.