Turn on thread page Beta

best med sch in uk watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so wot r they

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is probably the best then its UCL, Imperial...

ReputationRep:
    Aren't the oxford and cambridge medical degrees mainly theory based?

ReputationRep:
    St. Bartholomew's - Queen Mary, University of London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    St. Bartholomew's - Queen Mary, University of London
    For Medicine it goes something like this:

1.Oxford
    2.Cambridge
    3.Glasgow
    4.Liverpool
    5.Newcastle/Imperial College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    For Medicine it goes something like this:

1.Oxford
    2.Cambridge
    3.Glasgow
    4.Liverpool
    5.Newcastle/Imperial College
    I take it your not applying to med school then. Because if you were you'd know that league tables are meaningless when it comes to studying medicine. Just getting in is an achievement in itself, never mind where the hell you get your degree from. Oxford and Cambridge have the prestige attached to their name but they are not going to produce better doctors than any other approved medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Aren't the oxford and cambridge medical degrees mainly theory based?
    Yes and that's why Oxbridge isn't right for students who want a great deal of patient contact in the first few years.

I applied to Imperial, King's College London, Oxford and UCL and would recommend them all to prospective students

ReputationRep:
    i've heard of a lot of people in the medical profession that oxbridge do not have the best med schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankur1986)
    i've heard of a lot of people in the medical profession that oxbridge do not have the best med schools.
    It's true to an extent, although it depends very much on the sort of person you are. The Oxbridge courses (OK, I'm mainly referring to Cambridge, cos that's what I'm doing, but they're generally similar, I think) are very heavy on the theory for the first three years, with very little patient contact until 4th year, apart from Preparing for Patients, which is a lame excuse for patient contact. You do not, therefore, get as much experience working in a hospital environment, or meeting real people as you would in a more integrated course.

You will get at the end doctors who are very good on all the theory behind medicine, who are also fully trained in clinical skills, but according to some they may not be able to relate as well as others to their patients (this could have something to do with the fact that Cambridge is fairyland anyway and not related to the real world). I think this depends entirely on personality. I would not have been happy doing a problem based learning course, and I am thoroughly enjoying my Cambridge course. I do not think I will be a worse doctor for it, however some people may not come out with the requisite people skills, though they may be excellent in theory.

League tables are hugely subjective - the year I applied, in one paper Newcastle was top, in another it was 11th. Realistically all the medical schools in the UK are good, or they wouldn't be allowed to be open. In choosing where to go you should really consider the style of the course, the location (you will be living there for at least 5 years rather than the normal 3, and probably remaining in the area for your junior doctor years, so you have to like where you live) as well as the reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beetru)
    so wot r they
    the ones where nobody gets sick

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.