The Student Room Group

Need advice on how my finances affect my mum's benefits

Hi :smile:

My mum doesn't work and is on benefits; I don't know which ones exactly but whatever you're entitled to when you don't work plus DLA.

I'm about to finish my degree and I'm hoping to find a part-time job over the summer before I start my next course in post grad nursing (while living with my mum). But she is under the impression that if I work, then my income will affect her benefits and I will subsequently be obliged by law to pay the rest of the weekly rent that the benefits will no longer cover if I'm working. Now it's probably only going to be retail or bar work if I do get a job somewhere, nothing high paying, just MW. I only want to do it part time as well so I wouldn't exactly be on loads of money. I find this is unfair because if this is the way it works then I pretty much end up on the same amount of money than if I was on JSA?

Also, when I start my post grad nursing course (if I get on) I'll be on a bursary of £4300 per year over two years as a full time student. Would this also class as income that the law will see as money that should be paying rent?

I'm so confused and don't know who to ask. I hope that that isn't the case because then working seems pointless and I really want to work, I don't want to be on JSA. :frown:

I also want to live at home if I get onto the nursing course at my local university as I've been at uni for three years and don't want to go into halls or a shared house again, but not if I end up out of pocket.

Thank you in advance! :smile:
I don't know 100%, but I think as an adult she is no longer responsible for what you do or earn, she no longer receives child benefit for you. Best to check with your local citizens advice bureau.
Reply 2
Original post by Tokyoround
I don't know 100%, but I think as an adult she is no longer responsible for what you do or earn, she no longer receives child benefit for you. Best to check with your local citizens advice bureau.

I think it's more to do with household income than the family link.

OP, sounds like you might have to pay some rent, shocker. Welcome to the bright world of being an adult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending