Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After completing my first half marathon a month ago, I have decided to do a Triathlon. The problem is I am a complete novice!
    After a bit of researching, there are many different types of Triathlons and I think I will be doing the "Olympic Style" which is 1.5km Swim, 45km Bike and 10k Run. Obviously I will need to train for this, but I have a few questions.

The cost of a triathlon seems to mount up to a lot! What are the bare necessities for an amateur? With regards to the swim, will I need to invest in a wetsuit? Or will just a pair of swimming shorts suffice?

I have an old bike, but its cheap as chips and a bit rusty. I reckon I could push the boat out and get a cheap, second hand road bike for about £200-250 after looking on ebay. Will this be okay? I dont really understand the transition from swim to bike...

The run I will be fine with.

Clearly I am a Triathlon novice, and any tips, advice on the event/training will be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DelBoy12)
    After completing my first half marathon a month ago, I have decided to do a Triathlon. The problem is I am a complete novice!
    After a bit of researching, there are many different types of Triathlons and I think I will be doing the "Olympic Style" which is 1.5km Swim, 45km Bike and 10k Run. Obviously I will need to train for this, but I have a few questions.

The cost of a triathlon seems to mount up to a lot! What are the bare necessities for an amateur? With regards to the swim, will I need to invest in a wetsuit? Or will just a pair of swimming shorts suffice?

I have an old bike, but its cheap as chips and a bit rusty. I reckon I could push the boat out and get a cheap, second hand road bike for about £200-250 after looking on ebay. Will this be okay? I dont really understand the transition from swim to bike...

The run I will be fine with.

Clearly I am a Triathlon novice, and any tips, advice on the event/training will be appreciated!
    There are plenty of triathlons which use indoor pools, so if you find one of those you won't need a wetsuit.

The transition from swim to bike depends on the triathlon, some outdoor ones you will exit the lake, run to your bike, jump on and go. Some indoor ones have set transition times.
    I'd advise getting a bike that isn't rusty and horrible, you spend a lot of time on the bike training, so it has to work reasonably well.

£200 seems ok for a bike. Go Outdoors currently have some cheap roadies.
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/diamondb...t-700c-p200793

If you get very serious about triathlons, you will probably end up with a tri bike, which have slightly different seat angles, and help save the legs for the run.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.