Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be willing to share their experiences of studying maths at birmingham or aston university?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply.

I'm a final year at Aston studying Mathematics w/ Computing (very little difference to straight Maths).

The course is generally quite good and lasts for 3 years (4 if you decide to take a placement year). The website pretty much describes what it is all about so if you have any specific questions just ask.

However, the biggest problem with the course is the huge number of modules that you take. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have to do more work than usual (though you will have many many many more exams+coursework) but it does mean that the course takes a slight "scatter-gun" approach. You learn bits of everything rather than having an in-depth knowledge of certain areas. It is worth noting that some teaching staff are trying to change this so the course may change in the future.

Regarding graduate prospects, I haven't noticed any problems really.

(University of Birmingham is higher in the league tables)

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking what did you get for your a levels

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=usmanahmed2013;42134484]12
    [QUOTE=usmanahmed2013;42134484]

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.