Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whats up guys? Basically i have a small problem. Well maybe not a problem, but a query. Currently, i am doing 5 highers- English, Maths, Human Biology, Physics, Product Design. I'm planning on doing medicine in the close future. I don't know the what advanced highers to do. I'm thinking of doing adv. Physics ,adv. Biology, Crash higher Chemistry and Int 2 Creative Cakes. Should i do adv. Product instead of Physics, because i know that uni's look at subjects in which you us your hands. Anybody with any previous experience, could help me here. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably keep the advanced physics as it's generally common place I think to take two sciences to advanced higher level if you're looking at applying to medicine, vet, dentistry etc.
    Generally I didn't get the impression that what you choose in sixth year has much of an impact, but I think only taking one science to advanced level may lead to some questions as no one in my year applying to the subjects I mentioned did less than two sciences at advanced higher.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Doc_Brown)
    Whats up guys? Basically i have a small problem. Well maybe not a problem, but a query. Currently, i am doing 5 highers- English, Maths, Human Biology, Physics, Product Design. I'm planning on doing medicine in the close future. I don't know the what advanced highers to do. I'm thinking of doing adv. Physics ,adv. Biology, Crash higher Chemistry and Int 2 Creative Cakes. Should i do adv. Product instead of Physics, because i know that uni's look at subjects in which you us your hands. Anybody with any previous experience, could help me here. Any thoughts?
    Do you like Product or Physics more?

If you want to apply to England, you'll want to keep in mind that there are a good few universities down south looking for 3 AHs in S6 - including some looking particularly for AH Chemistry, so you'll have to have a decent idea of where you want to apply to make sure you take the right subject combinations (some want 3 AHs, some want 2AHs + 2Hs, some just want 3 courses, yada yada).

The "using your hands" vs. "doing a science" thing really isn't going to make a difference (even if it did, you've already done it at Higher). I take it you were at the Reach programme this year?

As above, doing more sciences is more standard, but it really isn't going to disadvantage you when applying to any of the 5 Scottish unis, at least. I can't speak more widely for the RUK universities.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't at the reach program, unfortunately. But a friend told me about "using your hands" In my school, you can only do 2 sciences in 4th year, but oh well, we can't change the past. So I should do advanced physics, advanced biology, crash higher chemistry and Int 2 creative cakes? I don't want to do 2 highers because it'll become too difficult for me I think. So I'm gonna do an Int 2. I can do either creative cakes or engineering craft skills(metal work). Decisions decisions decisions.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Doc_Brown)
    I wasn't at the reach program, unfortunately. But a friend told me about "using your hands" In my school, you can only do 2 sciences in 4th year, but oh well, we can't change the past. So I should do advanced physics, advanced biology, crash higher chemistry and Int 2 creative cakes? I don't want to do 2 highers because it'll become too difficult for me I think. So I'm gonna do an Int 2. I can do either creative cakes or engineering craft skills(metal work). Decisions decisions decisions.
    Nah, the "using your hands" thing is a load of *******s, but I was told it when I was at Reach as well. I can guarantee you that it's not a factor in their decision.

2 AHs + 2H really isn't that difficult; and it'll prepare you much better for uni - better getting into the habit of pushing yourself now, considering the challenging course you'll be doing, don't you think?
    Your school sounds like it has such an awful selection of subjects as well! I'd hate to do either of those!

Like I said, though, pick whichever subject you think you'll enjoy more and keep in mind the varying entry requirements (as 2AHs isn't sufficient for many universities).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, I will definitely take your advise on board. :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.