Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Right-wing factions seeking to run debate on TSR? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right now we have massive government attacks on the poor and the Tories are using the police as a tool to brutally suppress protest. A couple of years ago they used it against students in London on a massive scale and against the very popular UK Uncut tax protests - the cases arising from that are still going on. Few causes have as much popular support as the campaign to end massive tax avoidance by corporations, yet despite Coalition blather on the subject, little is being truly done to clamp down on it. Today we have the news that directors of more than 175,000 UK companies are based in tax havens. Enough money is kept in tax havens to provide for the entire government spending of the United States and Japan for a year!

TSR political threads are not reflecting this reality. Instead, we have a regular blizzard of Daily Mail-influenced thread titles, attacking so-called 'scroungers', trying to paint the poor as undeserving, attacking immigrants and all the rest of the usual far-right message that the poor and immigrants are to blame for our woes, the biggest lie of many lies that the Tories are currently telling.

This is now such a regular pattern that the UK politics forum appears to be almost dead in the water - most posters are bogged down arguing with people who appear to be wholly committed to the EDL/BNP/Ukip lines. So much so, that we must ask the question - are these organisations seeking to control debate on TSR? Is TSR willing to allow this to continue? Is it what we really want?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's fair to group UKIP with BNP and EDL. They are totally different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there's much astroturfing on here, more likely explanation is lack of life experience and the majority of posters being well off.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Right now we have massive government attacks on the poor and the Tories are using the police as a tool to brutally suppress protest. A couple of years ago they used it against students in London on a massive scale and against the very popular UK Uncut tax protests - the cases arising from that are still going on. Few causes have as much popular support as the campaign to end massive tax avoidance by corporations, yet despite Coalition blather on the subject, little is being truly done to clamp down on it. Today we have the news that directors of more than 175,000 UK companies are based in tax havens. Enough money is kept in tax havens to provide for the entire government spending of the United States and Japan for a year!

TSR political threads are not reflecting this reality. Instead, we have a regular blizzard of Daily Mail-influenced thread titles, attacking so-called 'scroungers', trying to paint the poor as undeserving, attacking immigrants and all the rest of the usual far-right message that the poor and immigrants are to blame for our woes, the biggest lie of many lies that the Tories are currently telling.

This is now such a regular pattern that the UK politics forum appears to be almost dead in the water - most posters are bogged down arguing with people who appear to be wholly committed to the EDL/BNP/Ukip lines. So much so, that we must ask the question - are these organisations seeking to control debate on TSR? Is TSR willing to allow this to continue? Is it what we really want?
    I've kind of abandoned the UK Politics subforum for these very reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I would comment, but all the immigrants have stolen my opinions as well as our jobs and houses.

****ing immigrants coming here and stealing our opinions as well as our jobs and houses. GO BACK HOME AND STOP SCROUNGING.

ReputationRep:
    The more outrageous the opinion, the louder they seem to shout it... :colonhash:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty457)
    I don't think it's fair to group UKIP with BNP and EDL. They are totally different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They appear to have merged. There is a new far-right consensus between a number of Europhobic Tory MPs, Ukip and EDL and the consensus has moved into the Mail and Telegraph. The Daily Telegraph have even started a Kelvin MacKenzie column today! He is one of the main mouthpieces of these factions.

I am fairly certain we are seeing regular and sustained attempts by Ukip people to dominate this forum.

ReputationRep:
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    The issue of tax is very hard to tackle as if you clamp down on it or increase it big businesses will just move their accounts offshore and then the smaller, more local companies are the ones that suffer the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is now such a regular pattern that the UK politics forum appears to be almost dead in the water
    So your assertion is that right wing views means "dead in the water"?

Perhaps people with right wing views think left wing means frustratingly irrational and senseless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

1. Yes, we should have more balanced threads, like this one.

2. Yes, we should remove posts containing views that Fullofsurprises doesn't agree with.

ReputationRep:
    OP raises an interesting point, but its funny to see them arguing.

ReputationRep:
    You take these people on in debate and show everyone that their argument is flawed and wrong.

As TSR's most europhille member, I take them on in debate and show them that their fantasy is wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    The more outrageous the opinion, the louder they seem to shout it... :colonhash:
    That is exactly the problem. Far-rights and BNP'ers shout their ridiculous views overriding any intellectual thought or debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty457)
    The issue of tax is very hard to tackle as if you clamp down on it or increase it big businesses will just move their accounts offshore and then the smaller, more local companies are the ones that suffer the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many won't. Despite the hype and their PR lies, many big corporations are much too happy being in the UK and they need to be here.

In the case of the too-big-to-fail banks and financial institutions, they simply could not (despite their lies) move, as nobody would accept them. They are not going to be able to relocate because the risk to the new host country would be intolerably huge.

Their also needs to be concerted international action to close down the tax havens. Many countries around the world, including the US and Germany are now strongly in favour of this - the UK remains an obstinate stumbling block to progress, as Tory politicians seek to protect their rich friends and colleagues in the City.

ReputationRep:

Well said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I would comment, but all the immigrants have stolen my opinions as well as our jobs and houses.

****ing immigrants coming here and stealing our opinions as well as our jobs and houses. GO BACK HOME AND STOP SCROUNGING.
    And now they are STEALING OUR TSR!! :fuhrer: We must do SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! :mob:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    I doubt there's much astroturfing on here, more likely explanation is lack of life experience and the majority of posters being well off.
    Don't underestimate the political importance of students. We are a huge potential force for change in society. That's why the authorities try to come down on us so harshly when we protest, as in the student protests against tuition fees. It is actually highly likely that efforts are underway from the political right to control this site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    And now they are STEALING OUR TSR!! :fuhrer: We must do SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! :mob:
    The mob smilie is so funny.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just the case that not everyone has the same political views and sees society differently. The things you mention as defining the problems in society are not the same things that I would list, and it's probable that everyone else has varying views of the same thing, and different opinions on what is important. I'm not a UKIP, BNP or EDL supporter, but nothing you mention is a priority to me.

I doubt there's any organised attempt to take over debate - indeed, I tend to find there's a mixture of the extremes from left to right both socially and economically, and not as many middle-grounders as I would usually expect. And both sides have their share of really rabid, uninformed people. If anything, I've always thought that there are fewer hard right-wingers than hard left-wingers on here, but perhaps the smaller number of right-wingers make more posts per person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.