Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've been doing some revision notes for the hardware devices, but I can't understand which devices should I memorise and what operation methods should I make my notes about.

The AQA AS Computing book describes all the devices and the AQA website has a list for which devices the operation principles should be known, for the exam, but the list doesn't mention what methods of operation they want me to learn, i.e. touch-sensitive screen can be resistive, capacitive or use an infrared grid. The book describes the infrared grid method for the touch-sensitive screen, but does it mean that they only want to know that method of operation? They usually don't specify the method of operation of a device to be described in the exam, just ask to describe it.

The book also describes operation principles of devices that are not needed to be known for the exam and lacks descriptions for the ones that are needed.

Generally the book lacks clarity according to the specification, is it because the book is old?

Can anyone please clarify how should I go about this?

ReputationRep:
    I believe they accept descriptions of multiple types of functioning (you should check that though)

The modes of functioning on wikibooks (digital camera and touch sensitive screen) were cleared by the exam board, but they haven't confirmed the wording on the site is 100% compatible with their mark scheme. Something for me to get done in the next few months.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level...rdware_Devices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by compy)
    I believe they accept descriptions of multiple types of functioning (you should check that though)

The modes of functioning on wikibooks (digital camera and touch sensitive screen) were cleared by the exam board, but they haven't confirmed the wording on the site is 100% compatible with their mark scheme. Something for me to get done in the next few months.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level...rdware_Devices
    But then again, the textbook i.e. for the touch-sensitive screen describes the infrared grid method and then wikibooks describes a different method.

In their question papers they don't tend to ask operating principles of devices that can function differently, like digital stills camera and touch-sensitive screen, so I can't find any question like that.

Did you mean that the methods of operation for digital camera and touch-sensitive screen in wikibooks are the ones that are needed for the exam? How do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    I asked the exam board about the methods, but they haven't confirmed that the wikibook descriptions are perfect

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2013

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.