Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How did you or your boy/girlfriend say "I love you" for the first time? Watch

I've fallen in love. While he isn't my boyfriend, we have a strange casual open-relationship sort of relationship and never got too attached to one another, just liked one another.

Over the past few months, it's all become far more serious and emotional, and I've basically completely fallen in love. We've both admitted far stronger feelings, but I want to finally tell him I'm falling in love/have fallen for him.

It's going probably be a big shock for him, and massively out of the blue. He's coming to stay when he gets back from his work trip soon, so we will be spending a couple of (hopefully romantic) nights together at home.

Given the location and situation, how best should I go about in saying it in your opinion? And I don't just mean "I love you". I know what to say, obviously. What I'm asking for is advice on when (first or second night, after dinner when we're in that chatty cuddly winding down mood or before etc), where (in bed? etc), how (what to say beforehand/in the lead up)?

And I was hoping, for inspiration, I could even hear some of your experiences and memorable or adorable ways your partner told you they loved you?

Ps - Apologies if this seems a bit like I'm over thinking the situation. I just want to stress how much this is going to be out of the blue, and I really want to make it a smooth and memorable conversation.

ReputationRep:
    First said it to eachother when we were both drunk in a club lol. Said it sober the morning after though so maybe we weren't that drunk after all

ReputationRep:
    Never really did say it at all in the two years we've been together...

ReputationRep:
    We kissed on the new years eve countdown and then he said " I think I'm falling in love with you " Couldn't of been more perfect really

ReputationRep:
    In a letter on Valentine's Day, right after the school formal, and on our four-month anniversary, twas all very sweet. I was the first one to say it, although I don't think it matters. Sadly we broke up about three months after that, but it was lovely while it lasted and I do think I was truly in love. Haven't been since though...

ReputationRep:
    I told him first. It was last summer, I was on vacation with some friends in Greece. I went to the beach after dinner, I sat on a beach lounger and I called him up. I remember there was a full moon. I thought I would have said those words having him next to me, but during that time apart I realized how much I missed him and I told him straight away. And he told me that he loved me back.

ReputationRep:
    I said "Oh you.." as in an expression after he'd said something, and he said "I love you too" back to me! I loved him though, so it all ended well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie4life)
    We kissed on the new years eve countdown and then he said " I think I'm falling in love with you " Couldn't of been more perfect really
    Awww, that sounds so perfect!

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember!

There's the least romantic answer. He can probably remember, I'm bad at this stuff. I'd just blurt it out when it feels right if I were you OP :p:

ReputationRep:
    During anal, right before I come.

'OMG I ****ing love you!'

Smthn like that?

After that... We were just in bed reflecting on life and I just said I think I've truly fallen in love with you. We had an amazing relationship for 6 years and I don't regret a thing. She was my first true love <3

ReputationRep:
    Said it to my girlfriend at her house by the woods in Germany. She was in her room, and I had just given her a golden bracelet for Christmas. I think It was possibly the day after exchanging presents. I told her I loved her, lying there on the floor with her but she didn't reciprocate then. I think she may regret having not said it then. It did hurt me a bit when she said she wasn't ready to say it back, but I was just happy to give a bit of myself to her whatever she felt. Anyway, it wasn't long before she said I love you back

ReputationRep:
    My memory isn't great, he probably remembers better than I do:

My fiance told me a few days after we became a couple. We'd known each other for 6 months before that, spending a lot of time together having some amazing adventures so it didn't seem 'too soon'. We were sitting on my bed, we'd just watched a film and I think we were holding hands. My genuine reply was "Okay", I'm pretty sure. Sounds terrible hah, but actually it wasn't hurtful to him because of the way I am (I'm quite aloof seeming, but with a warmness underneath) - it was exactly how he expected I'd reply. He just felt good letting me know and didn't think I would reciprocate yet since it was so soon.

I can't actually remember when/how I said it, but it was a couple of months after that.

As a side muse: I'm not autistic, but my brothers are so sometimes when I think about things like this I wonder if faint autistic traits are part of what shape my personality too.

ReputationRep:
    He broke up with me out of the blue. I was really confused why he did because we had such a great relationship of 9 months and I was starting to fall for him.
    A week later I demanded an answer because it was driving me insane. He met up with me, and confessed he broke up with me because he was in love with me, and he was really scared of getting hurt.
    We've been together 3 years now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We were in a cinema, and we were snuggling and then people on the film started saying it to each other and I could feel him getting fidgety and was having a little smile to myself because I guessed what was coming, but he wasn't brave enough to say it (he's really shy and a bit awkward with girls).

So that evening when we were in bed and it was dark I said it to him instead and he was mega happy and did a little dance and hugged me hard then said he had wanted to say it but he didn't dare.

I mainly said it because I knew e had chickened out so he must have wanted to hear it. I did love him of course but I wouldn't have said it in case it was too soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.