Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Going Back to Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I have been trawling the net and am getting mighty confused by this returning to education stuff....!!

I do already have a degree....but to be quite honest, I went down completely the wrong path. I have always been interested in helping people and nursing, but was told as a kid I would never make it/not be good enough etc - so went down a different route and went to uni anyway (as I knew I definitely wanted to have a degree!)...I'm now in a job which doesn't remotely suit me, isn't related to my degree, with no prospects in the future that excite me!

I've been looking at starting the Access to Nursing course with the Distance Learning Centre, so I can study whilst working (with the view to try and get some work as a health care assistant or volunteer work) and then on to a degree should I pass....From things I've been reading, this seems to be a very good start.

Now my question in - with a degree already, would that affect my chances of getting into a uni again? And would there be ANY financial help at all? (as nursing would be full time, so I could only work part time)...

(I don't know if this will affect things at all, but I'm 25 and would be 27 by the time I looked at starting uni).

Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thank you in advance x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I am 22 about to finish a degree in psychology and going onto a nursing course (if I pass my interviews lol). Since nursing degrees are NHS funded, you will be able to get funding. If you go for undergraduate nursing, you'll get an NHS bursary plus a reduced rate student loan off of SFE (since they class NHS courses as an exception to the funding-again-rule). If you go into graduate entry nursing, you'll only get an NHS bursary. However, I think you'll have to pay for the Access to HE course as there's no funding available for that as far as I know.
    Hope that helps, if you need any more details let me know xx

p.s. you wouldn't be able to work part time while studying nursing as the placement side of it is quite demanding

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for such a prompt reply!

I know I'll need to pay for the Access Course - they thankfully offer monthly payments which make it more affordable!!

That's a bit of a relief to know that funding is still an option as there is no way I could fund myself (am currently in the process of cutting back any un-needed outgoings to save as much as possible!! - but even that wouldn't be enough). Plus, with part time work ruled out (which I should have realised *shakes head*) finances would be a struggle!

Makes this all seem much more possible

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaithsAngel)

I know I'll need to pay for the Access Course - they thankfully offer monthly payments which make it more affordable!!

That's a bit of a relief to know that funding is still an option as there is no way I could fund myself (am currently in the process of cutting back any un-needed outgoings to save as much as possible!! - but even that wouldn't be enough). Plus, with part time work ruled out (which I should have realised *shakes head*) finances would be a struggle!

Thank you
    No worries good luck

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    Actually, for the Access Course, the government now offer what is called 24+ Loan. If you're 24+ you are eligible to receive a loan to cover the cost of your Access Course, and is based on the same terms as the University Student Loans.

If you complete the Access Course and then go on to University, the 24+ loan is wiped clean.

ReputationRep:
    What about graduate entry nursing if you have a degree already. Then you don't need to do the access course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdLittleO)
    Hiya

I am 22 about to finish a degree in psychology and going onto a nursing course (if I pass my interviews lol). Since nursing degrees are NHS funded, you will be able to get funding. If you go for undergraduate nursing, you'll get an NHS bursary plus a reduced rate student loan off of SFE (since they class NHS courses as an exception to the funding-again-rule). If you go into graduate entry nursing, you'll only get an NHS bursary. However, I think you'll have to pay for the Access to HE course as there's no funding available for that as far as I know.
    Hope that helps, if you need any more details let me know xx

p.s. you wouldn't be able to work part time while studying nursing as the placement side of it is quite demanding
    Hello,

I'm in my twenties and had leave university the first time due to illness. I was just wondering about the reduced rate loan- do you know how this is calculated?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how old you are at my college they offer a loan for over 24s that you pay back when earning over 21k but if you complete your degree they wipe it off

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the access that is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoC)
    What about graduate entry nursing if you have a degree already. Then you don't need to do the access course.
    My degree wasn't science or medical based, so I don't think that would be allowed?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Actually, for the Access Course, the government now offer what is called 24+ Loan. If you're 24+ you are eligible to receive a loan to cover the cost of your Access Course, and is based on the same terms as the University Student Loans.

If you complete the Access Course and then go on to University, the 24+ loan is wiped clean.
    Oh, that is interesting. Will look into that - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that is interesting. Will look into that - thanks!
    You can also use it for A Levels and other Level 3 and 4 qualifications too. So, theoretically, you could do an Access Course and an A Level and get it all funded

ReputationRep:
    My degree wasn't science or medical based, so I don't think that would be allowed?!?
    A couple of unis take unrelated degrees for graduate entry, but you could definitely apply for undergrad nursing at any university with a degree in any subject. That's what I did this year and got several offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amabel)
    A couple of unis take unrelated degrees for graduate entry, but you could definitely apply for undergrad nursing at any university with a degree in any subject. That's what I did this year and got several offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Thats amazing! Did you have any experience in health care or anything at that point?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what unis did you apply for?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think they said they would consider other degree as well. But you will need plenty of experience to do the GEN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose-star)
    Hello,

I'm in my twenties and had leave university the first time due to illness. I was just wondering about the reduced rate loan- do you know how this is calculated?

Hi I think it is means tested and less than what you'd get on non-NHS courses. Here it is on the SFE website http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/full-...bursaries.aspx

Hope that helps x

ReputationRep:
    Really? Thats amazing! Did you have any experience in health care or anything at that point?

Thanks!
    Hey just thought I'd contribute

I've applied for the GEN at Nottingham - they accept degrees from unrelated disciplines at a 2:2 or above. If it's not related then I suppose healthcare experience helps your application.
    I also applied at Salford, SHU and Sheffield for GEN. Can't remember if they wanted related disciplines but SHU and Sheffield rejected me straight off so I wouldn't recommend applying to those lol. Northumbria, Southampton and Edinburg Napier also offer GEN tho I didn't apply to those. I think Kings College in London do as well. Oh and Liverpool John Moores, though this includes a year of health visiting which I didn't realise when applying.

I thought GEN was my only option until the last minute, so I applied to MMU and Manchester for the undergraduate courses. Had an interview for both - I assume because of my degree (psychology) as my a-levels were below what they wanted.

I would personally recommend for you to stick to undergraduate nursing if you don't have much healthcare experience, though maybe stick a couple of GEN courses on your UCAS just in case

Good luck ! x

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    I echo what WeirdLittleO said about GEN

My personal experience has been applying for the undergrad nursing courses with a humanities degree (2:1), no A levels. My degree was enough to meet the requirements everywhere I applied, although they did want GCSE equivalents as well in Maths & English (which I had.) My degree was 7 years ago, so I used some OU modules I did last year for fun to show recent study (if your degree was within the last 3 or 5 years you probably won't run into that issue.)

I could have applied for GEN in a handful of places, but didn't because I don't have a large amount of care experience. I wouldn't recommend going for GEN unless you do have significant experience- usually a certain amount of hours is required. I also personally felt that even if I could squeak by that requirement, a more intense 2 year course wouldn't suit me, and I would benefit more from the 3 year UG course. The lack of a maintenance loan for GEN courses was also a factor! Very happy with my choice. I applied to Sheffield Hallam, Derby, Leeds, Leeds Met & Nottingham, and got offers from Leeds, Derby & Notts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.