Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

George Osborne likes to park in disabled bays Watch

ReputationRep:
    Our Compassionate Conservative Chancellor of the Exchequer - parked in the disabled bay.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ed-bay-1812379

It was at an M4 service station and onlookers report there were plenty of other bays available.

ReputationRep:
    Actually as you can see pretty clearly from the picture George Osborne did not park anywhere, the fella in the driving seat did. So really the title should be "George Osborne likes to get into cars parked in disabled bays" which is a bit confusing as maybe he just likes getting into cars with disabled people, nothing wrong with that so an alternative, more accurate title would be "George Osborne likes getting into cars which sources tell was parked illegally in a disabled bay by the security company hired to transport and protect him".

In a further embarrassment, one service station worker admitted: “Not many people recognised him as George Obsorne Osborne

"We thought it was Ed Balls.”

Looks like there may well have been a need for the disability bays after all, shame on you George!

ReputationRep:
    Well, he did sound a little the worse for wear mentally when he developed his mockney accent the other day. I wonder if forgetting how you normally talk would qualify you for a badge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Well, he did sound a little the worse for wear mentally when he developed his mockney accent the other day. I wonder if forgetting how you normally talk would qualify you for a badge.
    I think the security men were worried that he might be exposed to public ridicule by having to walk in the open to the services. Shorter walk = less ridiculing. Longer walk = more ridiculing. Ridiculing is widely seen as a major security issue.

ReputationRep:
    So the driver of a politician was caught parking the politician's car in a disabled bay.

I still fail to see how this is any newsworthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    So the driver of a politician was caught parking the politician's car in a disabled bay.

Because it reveals their true attitudes? Let's not forget, this is the government that is sending all disabled people to a very highly paid massive private contracting company, Atos, which is making a huge profit by cutting their benefits. At the same time, the Chancellor's people appear to regard disabled bays as the correct place for them to park their precious Lord and Master. And you don't find this newsworthy?? Pull the other one.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Considering he also didn't think he should have to pay to travel first class on a train, this really doesn't surprise me. It just makes me sigh in frustration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Because it reveals their true attitudes?
    They all hate disabled people. Yes ... I totally see it now.

At the same time, the Chancellor's people appear to regard disabled bays as the correct place for them to park their precious Lord and Master. And you don't find this newsworthy?? Pull the other one.
    First, 'the Chancellor's people' are not the Chancellor, and the Chancellor's driver does not represent the Chancellor's whole entourage. Second, I will start to consider it remotely newsworthy if you can show me that this wasn't a single incident but that Osborne has a pronounced preference of parking in disabled bays.

ReputationRep:

Front page stuff as well.

ReputationRep:
    His driver parked in a disabled bay in an empty car-park. And that is somehow his fault?

About as newsworthy as the time one of his aides bought the wrong train ticket.

ReputationRep:
    This is the same person traveling in first class a while ago

ReputationRep:
    Him getting into the car makes it more likely the space will be vacated!

He's not to blame!

ReputationRep:
    They all hate disabled people. Yes ... I totally see it now.

First, 'the Chancellor's people' are not the Chancellor, and the Chancellor's driver does not represent the Chancellor's whole entourage. Second, I will start to consider it remotely newsworthy if you can show me that this wasn't a single incident but that Osborne has a pronounced preference of parking in disabled bays.
    The Chancellor must be aware presumably of what is happening around him. Why would he not have remonstrated with them? Presumably because he sees nothing wrong with it. As for your last point, isn't it most plausible that this is all part of their routine?

ReputationRep:
    Because it reveals their true attitudes? Let's not forget, this is the government that is sending all disabled people to a very highly paid massive private contracting company, Atos, which is making a huge profit by cutting their benefits. At the same time, the Chancellor's people appear to regard disabled bays as the correct place for them to park their precious Lord and Master. And you don't find this newsworthy?? Pull the other one.
    Yes, clearly what he should have done was made the guy drive out, find another parking bay that wasn't disabled, walked over there, and then got in. I mean, it's not like he has anything better to do as chancellor, there's definitely nothing wrong with the economy for him to so-. Oh. Oh.
    Ridiculous post and ridiculous story, it's not even news.

ReputationRep:
    He's not one of the 'Chancellor's people'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    He's not one of the 'Chancellor's people'!
    Well, they are the Chancellor's security detail, so presumably they are inclined to listen to his wishes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Ridiculous post and ridiculous story, it's not even news.
    The Press Association evidently don't agree with you.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1365112375503A

ReputationRep:
    Well, they are the Chancellor's security detail, so presumably they are inclined to listen to his wishes?
    If they parked in a disabled space, they are responsible.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post42091053

ReputationRep:
    The Chancellor must be aware presumably of what is happening around him. Why would he not have remonstrated with them? Presumably because he sees nothing wrong with it. As for your last point, isn't it most plausible that this is all part of their routine?
    Plausible, but equally plausible that it isn't.

You seem to have made your mind up already. You may well be right, but the problem is that I simply don't know, and it's not as if the papers don't have their own agenda. I'll judge him through his speeches and policies, but not through this. Unless it happens again...

ReputationRep:
    The Press Association evidently don't agree with you.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1365112375503A
    Yes, the press which reported it thinks it's news, that doesn't make it news. You can ignore the rest of my post if you wish, it doesn't make you any less wrong or your post any less stupid.
    George Osborne's official car was reversed into a disabled space while he was buying a meal at McDonald's, a source said
    Copyright © 2013 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Obviously his fault when he wasn't even in the car. Right. From your own source to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.