Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you like someone if you've never even met them before? Watch

feel like I've a real connection with this girl I've been talking to online (like I would ask her out if we knew each) but we've never met in person. Honestly can't think about anything else at the moment. Is this possible? Is it weird that I feel this?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you're in love with her brain. Congrats

(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    We've seen pictures of each other and talked on Skype everyday for the last few weeks. She's stunning, way out of my league though

ReputationRep:
    Inb4amanbabbar thinks this is me posting.... :hmmm:

And on topic, I'd say you can but only to a certain extent. But once you see them, it's alot clearer if you like them or not.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally when I like someone I think a lot of it is to do with physical chemistry. Just things like body language when you're talking to them. But then again I've never seriously met anyone on the internet.

It's not that strange that you like her, maybe give things a go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    feel like I've a real connection with this girl I've been talking to online (like I would ask her out if we knew each) but we've never met in person. Honestly can't think about anything else at the moment. Is this possible? Is it weird that I feel this?
    Yes its possible, but this is what will happen.
    You will tell her you are falling for her
    She will reciprocate
    She will say "brb goin to the shop, talk to you in an hour"
    She will never return "go off the grid" (block you on all accounts)
    You will wait for her for a few weeks but then think thoughts like "is she okay? Did she die?"
    You will never see her again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Online relationships are a massive no-no in my book. It's unromantic and unreal.

ReputationRep:
    It's good for chatting and whatever, but meeting up could prove disappointing if one party does not turn up, or even borderline dangerous, as you may need to give out addresses etc.....
    i would say not to do anything drastic, considering the fact that u probs don't even know her real name!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    What are you usually in love with then?? :confused:
    (Emotions, personality, it all comes from the brain)

Of course you can like someone before meeting their physical body - if their personality is what's important to you, and they're good at expressing it verbally, then it's easy to like them.

The only difference between talking to someone through the Internet and talking to someone through speech is that you don't have their body to skew your opinion of them.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, have you ever watched Catfish?

I'm a female, and in the kind of the same situation, except we met in a bar, but have been talking via the internet ever since, except on our first meet up he felt uneasy and didn't want to meet up, cause he's a shy guy, whereas i'm outgoing, but they do say opposites attract but cause of his line of work, we can go a week without talking... but like when we skype, i have a real connection with him. He's so lovely. Not sure what to do though about meeting up, cause the second time we were to meet up, i couldn't, hope i haven't put him off :/ he's so humorous

Wow, this sounds all too familiar.

I met my bf on Twitter last year, it started as casual chatting, then DMing and progressed to long chats til 3am on Kik every night - when we realised we liked each other more than friends.

After 4 months, we started skyping and chatting on the phone.
    And now, 8 months after we first met online, we've met up twice.

Long story short, it IS possible.
    As long as you stay safe and be aware of what personal details you share with the person, anything is possible! Just take your time, and see where things go!

ReputationRep:
    It definitely is possible. Some people would argue it's better, because you feel a connection with her based on personality. And it's definitely not weird either - plenty of us have been there with the online relationship thing! It can work. Congratulations on finding someone like this!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion people can chat very diff online compared to in person. So to the main question I say no. I think you are just infatuated with someone who your head has made her out to be.
    If you meet her etc ... Things might be diff

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.