Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel really intimdated by the popular people in school and outside school,and i feel really paranoid of what they think of me and how they think im a quiet,shy, boring loser. cant talk to them and i feel really awkward when im with them and i see them quite a lot, what should i do? i think ive got an anxiety disorder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel really intimdated by the popular people in school and outside school,and i feel really paranoid of what they think of me and how they think im a quiet,shy, boring loser. cant talk to them and i feel really awkward when im with them and i see them quite a lot, what should i do? i think ive got an anxiety disorder
    You're not alone. I'm also a loner Don't worry, you're not a loser, so what if you're not with a popular crowd, count it as a blessing. Just make friends with people like yourself, don't try to be something you are not. I get really bad anxiety too but once you find those firm friends you'll wonder why you ever cared about those popular kids, they probably won't care much for you if you did have anxiety so just find people who will help you and will support you. You never know, you might end up finding a large group of friends and become popular but with the right people You go through life with people thinking good and bad things about you. Don't take the bad to heart, just be yourself and don't you dare change for the sake of propular kids.

(Original post by xxSherlockxx)
    You're not alone. I'm also a loner Don't worry, you're not a loser, so what if you're not with a popular crowd, count it as a blessing. Just make friends with people like yourself, don't try to be something you are not. I get really bad anxiety too but once you find those firm friends you'll wonder why you ever cared about those popular kids, they probably won't care much for you if you did have anxiety so just find people who will help you and will support you. You never know, you might end up finding a large group of friends and become popular but with the right people You go through life with people thinking good and bad things about you. Don't take the bad to heart, just be yourself and don't you dare change for the sake of propular kids.
    Haha, Thanks, I have to talk to them because at Cadets they hate you and look down at you because your too quiet, and it makes it really unbearable. I can't quit until I've finished D of E but I don't know when that'll be.. :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm the same, I felt very intimidated by my flatmates in halls in my first year at uni cause they were all popular and extroverted and as a result could never be myself around them and never was able to make friends with them despite my efforts.

(Original post by Olie)
    Yeah I'm the same, I felt very intimidated by my flatmates in halls in my first year at uni cause they were all popular and extroverted and as a result could never be myself around them and never was able to make friends with them despite my efforts.
    So what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Thanks, I have to talk to them because at Cadets they hate you and look down at you because your too quiet, and it makes it really unbearable. I can't quit until I've finished D of E but I don't know when that'll be.. :/
    At St John? Maybe try to break the ice by asking someone to explain something to you, get a discussion going about first aid or whatever you are doing. Maybe ask their name, how they got into Cadets, etc. I find that with a popular crowd there is usually one who is more approachable than others and once you find them and get them talking, the others usually will talk to you too Maybe try and get there a little early so that you can talk to someone when they are alone, waiting for their friends? You never know, they may be happy to chat with you x

At St John? Maybe try to break the ice by asking someone to explain something to you, get a discussion going about first aid or whatever you are doing. Maybe ask their name, how they got into Cadets, etc. I find that with a popular crowd there is usually one who is more approachable than others and once you find them and get them talking, the others usually will talk to you too Maybe try and get there a little early so that you can talk to someone when they are alone, waiting for their friends? You never know, they may be happy to chat with you x
    At Air Cadets, I've been there for a while,it'll be 2 years in June, and I have a reputation for being the quiet awkward one. They all go to the same school are they're all best friends so I don't really have much to talk about to them,I'm practically invisible I don't really know how to start and uphold a decent conversation with them,its so intimidating :/

ReputationRep:
    At Air Cadets, I've been there for a while,it'll be 2 years in June, and I have a reputation for being the quiet awkward one. They all go to the same school are they're all best friends so I don't really have much to talk about to them,I'm practically invisible I don't really know how to start and uphold a decent conversation with them,its so intimidating :/
    Are you at the same school as them? If not ask what it's like, or what they're studying. Maybe still go down the route for an explanation about how to do something - they may be more helpful than you think! I know nothing about air cadets so I can't really help you...but usually the best thing to do is take a deep breath and say "Excuse me, sorry but I'm a bit confused. Do you mind helping me?" Maybe try when the big group has split into smaller groups. If they really don't want to talk to you then I suppose you can't really do anything. You tried, then didn't. I would much rather spend time with you than them from the sounds of it. Don't waste your time chasing people, friendships work both ways. Are they all at the same school? Surely you can't be the only one? Failing that, see if they hold another identical class but on a different day? You may have more luck with a friendlier bunch of people - in all honest if they can't be bothered to be polite or friendly to someone then they are not worth your time or your effort. I found that the popular kids only wanted to talk to me for my brain - i.e. when they were stuck with their homework. Being popular is seriously over-rated. Maybe you could encourage one of your friends to join up with you? Sorry for the essay :P

Are you at the same school as them? If not ask what it's like, or what they're studying. Maybe still go down the route for an explanation about how to do something - they may be more helpful than you think! I know nothing about air cadets so I can't really help you...but usually the best thing to do is take a deep breath and say "Excuse me, sorry but I'm a bit confused. Do you mind helping me?" Maybe try when the big group has split into smaller groups. If they really don't want to talk to you then I suppose you can't really do anything. You tried, then didn't. I would much rather spend time with you than them from the sounds of it. Don't waste your time chasing people, friendships work both ways. Are they all at the same school? Surely you can't be the only one? Failing that, see if they hold another identical class but on a different day? You may have more luck with a friendlier bunch of people - in all honest if they can't be bothered to be polite or friendly to someone then they are not worth your time or your effort. I found that the popular kids only wanted to talk to me for my brain - i.e. when they were stuck with their homework. Being popular is seriously over-rated. Maybe you could encourage one of your friends to join up with you? Sorry for the essay :P
    Thanks , haha I don't mind the essay,I don't go to their school,I'm the only one from my school and my friends don't want to join,I do have 2 friends there but they're a bit sly and leave me out of conversation and thing at times,but I have to be friends with them as the others seem to hate me. If I talk to them they'd just find it really weird and I wouldn't know what to talk about,and they're all older than me and drink and have crazy house parties and I'm more quiet and reserved, I think I have a social anxiety disorder :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do not envy popular people, they are merely slaves to the unpopular people. They have more to fear and far more to lose about their image than you do.

(Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Do not envy popular people, they are merely slaves to the unpopular people. They have more to fear and far more to lose about their image than you do.
    What do you do when you have to tolerate them constantly looking down at you,hating you, they even indirectly told me to quit more than once! They want me gone and I want to go but I can't until I've finished D of E,and I don't know how long that's be.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What do you do when you have to tolerate them constantly looking down at you,hating you, they even indirectly told me to quit more than once! They want me gone and I want to go but I can't until I've finished D of E,and I don't know how long that's be.
    You soak it in, you don't forget them nor do you forgive them, you remember their names and everything they've done to you. You learn their habits, those little details. You keep that feeling building up, learn to control it and allow it to fuel your motivation and ambition. You learn not to trust anyone initially, ever, you look out for the signs first. Eventually you're able to tell precisely when someone else is going through the same **** that you went through, and you can help them. Eventually you're in a career where you can get back at these ******* bullies that made your life miserable - through legal loopholes, because you haven't forgotten them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks , haha I don't mind the essay,I don't go to their school,I'm the only one from my school and my friends don't want to join,I do have 2 friends there but they're a bit sly and leave me out of conversation and thing at times,but I have to be friends with them as the others seem to hate me. If I talk to them they'd just find it really weird and I wouldn't know what to talk about,and they're all older than me and drink and have crazy house parties and I'm more quiet and reserved, I think I have a social anxiety disorder :/
    Not necessarily. I prefer quiet evenings too, as do a lot of people. Hmm...look I wouldn't worry about it. You get lots of people who are not good friend material. Just try and enjoy what you are doing and smile at people, be friendly and approachable. You never know, someone may come and chat with you? Ignore it darling, you won't be there forever and you have better friends at school. Keep a look out for any new recruits and try to befriend them, failing that, just keep your head high and don't let it show that it bothers you. If you keep thinking it won't bother you then after a while it probably won't. Just be there to have fun and don't worry, in the future I'm sure you'll look back and think "why did I even bother?"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.