Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Constantly questioning whether I understand what I hear or say. WTF? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This has only recently started to happen, but it's really making me prang the **** out.

I'm fluent in English... it is my first language... yet when I closely analyse what I say or what I hear others say, I have difficultly in 'defining' each term, as it were.

I could easily listen to someone talk and understand what they're talking about, but if I focus on the individual terms I find that I have difficulty defining words, and I consequently start to question absolutely everything I ****ing see or hear.

Even as I'm typing this out, I have doubts in my mind on whether or not I really understand what I'm typing... seriously... I am bugging out.

Is this natural or am I just idiotic? When you're fluent in a language is it natural for listening and speaking to be like an automatic reflex in terms of comprehension?

Trivial, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you mean but it doesn't bug me :P

You just sort of listen to people and reply without really thinking about what any of the words mean. It's like that thing where if you keep repeating the same word you start to question it and it starts to sound like something you made up :P

It's strange I guess when you think about it, but it's a natural and normal phenomena.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand what you mean.

Do you mean that, when you/others speak, you understand what they say after some difficulty trying to decipher it? Or do you understand everything, but you just marvel at how weird it sounds (I had this phase when words just sounded weird to me in my head if I only focused on the phonetics rather than the whole word, is that what you mean? :dontknow:)??

ReputationRep:
    I'm a spelling fanatic, I love words - but sometimes familiar words entirely elude me. They sound "wrong", I can't put my finger on it but its like they lose their meaning. It's always only temporary though, and with only one word at a time. Maybe it's just something a little similar to mild dyslexia? The brain is a curious place indeed

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe you started off thinking about how speech perception, and how you understand the words like how humans understand speech and how they know how to communicate. And I think perhaps it's in now your head you're perhaps subconsciously thinking about it and that's why it's bugging you.

That's my take.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for all the typos I'm on my phone not dyslexic :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I don't really understand what you mean.

Do you mean that, when you/others speak, you understand what they say after some difficulty trying to decipher it? Or do you understand everything, but you just marvel at how weird it sounds (I had this phase when words just sounded weird to me in my head if I only focused on the phonetics rather than the whole word, is that what you mean? :dontknow:)??
    Not the former. It's the latter to a certain extent.

It's like 'to a certain extent' which I just used. I understand what it means when I say it, but I don't really know how to explain it and define it. I would be able to use it in context instantaneously whilst speaking, but when I THINK about the sort of situations to use it in, I get flustered.

I'm sorry, it is sort of difficult to explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamboogy)
    Not the former. It's the latter to a certain extent.

It's like 'to a certain extent' which I just used. I understand what it means when I say it, but I don't really know how to explain it and define it. I would be able to use it in context instantaneously whilst speaking, but when I THINK about the sort of situations to use it in, I get flustered.

I'm sorry, it is sort of difficult to explain.
    Do you speak any languages other than english?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    Do you speak any languages other than english?
    Cantonese, and planning on studying French at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamboogy)
    Cantonese, and planning on studying French at uni.
    My advice to you is question what you take to be the truth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.