Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dark grey fitted shirt, black skinny tie, beanie combination for men? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering where I might find a shirt that's not like a silk/dressy shirt, but also not denim and also not too expensive? Too expensive is probably £30+

I'm looking for a particular type of shirt I guess, kind of thickish material with a rough texture, but still like a work shirt. Very dark grey or black.

EDIT: Feel free to neg, however your time would be better spent negging my post further down the page where I demonstrate this look:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post42091588

ReputationRep:
    Peacocks?

ReputationRep:
    Plain black smart shirt?

http://www.burton.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&view AllFlag=&catalogId=33052&storeId =12551&productId=1767677&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryI d=427035&parent_categoryId=42703 0&pageSize=20&refinements=Colour {1}~[black]&noOfRefinements=1

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea about the title of this thread, but post a pic when you're set - it'll be funny or... cool?

Anyway, I got a black fitted shirt for work a couple of weeks ago - Next, £20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user45854)
    I've no idea about the title of this thread, but post a pic when you're set - it'll be funny or... cool?

Yeah I was looking at Next, they throw in the clip-on tie as well for £20 don't they?

I'm looking for a "work shirt" with a rough texture though.

ReputationRep:

this

ReputationRep:
    I just remembered - a friend of mine bought a really nice black fitted shirt - a couple of years ago, mind - from either Primark or TJ Hughs :P

ReputationRep:
    You probably want a light shirt if you're wearing a black tie. The rules of fashion told me so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    You probably want a light shirt if you're wearing a black tie. The rules of fashion told me so.
    Dark grey shirt, black tie, sleeves rolled up, that was the plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Yeah good luck. It seems to me from observing this forum that the rules of fashion regularly don't apply here.

ReputationRep:
    Shirt, tie and...beanie? Why..?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh it seems the term I'm looking for is 'woven'. Perhaps.

(Original post by Dave454)
    Because I'm wearing it, you don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiral87)
    Ahhh it seems the term I'm looking for is 'woven'. Perhaps.

Because I'm wearing it, you don't have to.
    Herringbone weave?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe look for an Oxford weave. That sounds like the kind of material you're after, they're a bit heavier and woven more obviously than most shirts, although Oxford shirts tend to have button-down collars which look fairly (very) bad with a tie.

This shows a close-up of an Oxford weave but is the wrong colour, fit and isn't a great shirt anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, one of those might work.

Anyways, just for all your amusement, I've put on a thick black tie back to front, tucked the fat end into one of my black shirts which never fitted (Burtons) and tucked the shirt in at the back to make it look skinny and taken a bathroom selfie, just for that added mockery, cause y'know, being bullied for four years at secondary school is nothing compared to the onslaught here at TSR.

Name:  combo.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  505.9 KB

Please feel free to criticise.

(Original post by Dave454)
    (Original post by tehforum)
    this

ReputationRep:

Anyways, just for all your amusement, I've put on a thick black tie back to front, tucked the fat end into one of my black shirts which never fitted (Burtons) and tucked the shirt in at the back to make it look skinny and taken a bathroom selfie, just for that added mockery, cause y'know, being bullied for four years at secondary school is nothing compared to the onslaught here at TSR.

right... well on TSR we aren't bullying you. I'm sorry you experienced bullying.

ok, criticisms.

Why are you wearing this combination? Work, going out, party, birthday, daily wear?
    iron shirt, tuck in shirt, otherwise its fine

ReputationRep:

lol, I was only being daft. I have no fashion sense at all.

I can't tell if you're genuinely upset or not; judging by the fact that you posted a pic, I'm guessing you'll live

Edit: How come you only got 4 years? Lucky *******...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    ok, criticisms.

Why are you wearing this combination? Work, going out, party, birthday, daily wear?
    iron shirt, tuck in shirt, otherwise its fine
    I don't have a 'dress code', I'll wear this to any of those occasions.

Other than the fact the shirt is unironed (I just got it out the cupboard, I've probably had it since I was 16 or 17 and not worn it for many years), I think it's a good combination that doesn't deserve derision, I just need to find a better (SLIGHTLY lighter?) shirt and a real skinny tie.

ReputationRep:

Like.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I was only being daft. I have no fashion sense at all.

I can't tell if you're genuinely upset or not; judging by the fact that you posted a pic, I'm guessing you'll live

Edit: How come you only got 4 years? Lucky *******...
    Nope, I'm not upset. I appreciated your Next suggestion, I'm gonna go on Saturday and check them out.

I was also being very sarcastic, school was a long time ago (9 years :ahee: ) and nothing anyone can say on TSR can come close to hurting me, so everyone might as well pipe down with their pointless digs 'cause they're putting unnecessary wear on their finger joints.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.