Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know women who wear the hijab (Muslim head covering) and have often suggested that the reason they didn't get a particular job was because they wore a hijab to the interview.

I don't know how true this actually is. What do you think? Does wearing a hijab give you a disadvantage? I'm thinking of office/sale jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine, from the perspective of an employer who has got many diverse applicants for a job, someone wearing such headwear might seem less approachable for the customer (in face-to-face encounters). Whether they would be or not doesn't really matter; employers need excuses to whittle down the competition. And if the work is on phones or computers, perhaps this is more of a subconscious thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliyam91)
    I know women who wear the hijab (Muslim head covering) and have often suggested that the reason they didn't get a particular job was because they wore a hijab to the interview.

I don't know how true this actually is. What do you think? Does wearing a hijab give you a disadvantage? I'm thinking of office/sale jobs.
    Frankly if we look at society I think they would be judged, if people with "foreign" sounding names are discriminated against in CV applications as shown in the example below.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20608039
    I also saw a story of a man who handed in 50 applications received no reply, yet handed one in again to the same place with a more native name and received a reply.

If society can discriminating against a name, then yes it's more likely if anything you would be discriminated against for what your wearing,

ReputationRep:
    When I go to a job interview, I dress appropiately; just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't know. I wear the hijab and when I don't get the job after going to a job interview, I don't think it's right to just assume they didn't hire me because of my hijab. Maybe I didn't do so well in the interview or they found someone better?

That being said, the only paid job I have had is one where the employer is a Muslim lol.

But there are plenty of hijab-wearing women doing professional jobs and working in different sectors, so I don't think it's an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think beliefs need to be expressed in the workplace. I believe that Blondie and Green Day are both awesome bands, but I wouldn't wear my band tees to work or an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I don't think beliefs need to be expressed in the workplace. I believe that Blondie and Green Day are both awesome bands, but I wouldn't wear my band tees to work or an interview.
    So you won't have freedom of religion? Wearing a headscarf in an office does not/should not really go against the dress code (should it be a normal smart wear). What would you suggest to be worn then, headscarf does nothing to hurt anyone else nor should it really effect their skills at their work place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minion)
    So you won't have freedom of religion? Wearing a headscarf in an office does not/should not really go against the dress code (should it be a normal smart wear). What would you suggest to be worn then, headscarf does nothing to hurt anyone else nor should it really effect their skills at their work place.
    I'd place freedom of religion in the same bracket as freedom to express love for a band - wearing a Green Day tshirt isn't appropiate for most workplaces, and that wouldn't hinder my ability to do work. If the dress code says not to do something, I wouldn't; there's a time and place for everything, just not at work.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but I don't see how a headcovering affects the way you work in any way.

And OP, I wear the hijab, I'm finding it exceptionally hard to get a job and do worry about judgements being made at interviews I'm afraid :/

But I give it my best, I go as who I am.

ReputationRep:
    I'd place freedom of religion in the same bracket as freedom to express love for a band - wearing a Green Day tshirt isn't appropiate for most workplaces, and that wouldn't hinder my ability to do work. If the dress code says not to do something, I wouldn't; there's a time and place for everything, just not at work.
    Wearing a Green Day t-shirt isn't required for your love of Green Day and won't affect you in the slightest whereas not wearing the Hijab is required in islam (compulsory).

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

head covering or full face covering ?

in a customer facing role a full face covering would pose a barrier to communication , aside from the obvious issues with a veil wearing muslim woman in a public facing role where she is expected to interact with all .

For a none publicfacing role it should make no difference the only concern being the issues of 'proper' and 'honour' related to the wider perception of those who war full face veils at all times ( vs those that may choose to do so in 'outside' public ... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by october12)
    Wearing a Green Day t-shirt isn't required for your love of Green Day and won't affect you in the slightest whereas not wearing the Hijab is required in islam (compulsory).
    Well, that issue is debatable, google "hijab compulsory" and you'll see many contrasting arguments. And belief in Islam is no more important than the love of a band.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that issue is debatable, google "hijab compulsory" and you'll see many contrasting arguments. And belief in Islam is no more important than the love of a band.
    But the dress code is to wear something smart...wearing a tshirt with your band is not smart, wearing a headscarf does not stop you from wearing smart clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the opinions. It is just the head covering I was referring to.
    Anyway I emailed the company I was considering applying for and asked them about their uniform policy and if they would consider a candidate for the position if they wear the head covering (hijab). I know this may not be the best way to go about things, I had to just be straight forward. And they said that it certainly wouldn't be a problem and that I should apply.

Where I live (and will work if I get the job) is a really diverse area of England anyway. So it's not like I would stand out majorly. But I do believe it's down to the employer who they hire and if they don't want to hire someone who wears the head covering then ultimately that's a choice they are entitled to make. It's their money and their company so they can do what they want. I know that doesn't sound 'fair' but we have to keep it real.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of religion to a point. I don't think anyone would argue that people should be allowed to practice human sacrifice in the name of freedom of religion, so claiming freedom of religion is a moot argument in general. So long as there are no laws provided for particular repression, or expression of particular beliefs, that is fine.

If your beliefs conflict with a (reasonable) law or rule, that is your problem.

But the dress code is to wear something smart...wearing a tshirt with your band is not smart, wearing a headscarf does not stop you from wearing smart clothes.
    Depends on the dress code.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's like someone turning up to a job interview with a massive crucifix around their neck - it's an outward display of zealousness in religion which may put some employers off. An employer might not have a problem with Muslims per se, but the hijab is essentially saying: I am a conservative Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Free thinking, confident, intelligent individuals. Or submissive sheep?

No brainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frube)
    Free thinking, confident, intelligent individuals. Or submissive sheep?

No brainer.
    wow islamophobic much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganhad)
    wow islamophobic much?
    So ?

ReputationRep:
    I know women who wear the hijab (Muslim head covering) and have often suggested that the reason they didn't get a particular job was because they wore a hijab to the interview. I don't know how true this actually is. What do you think? Does wearing a hijab give you a disadvantage? I'm thinking of office/sale jobs.Posted from TSR Mobile
    i would think doing so would contravene some discrimination laws, unless the job was imparied by someon wearing a hijab. however there are other considerations- presumabley if you are wearing a hijab its for islamic reasons- there are also numerous restrictions for women in terms who they can talk to, how they talk to them, if they are talking to men, they supossed to be supervised in covnersation to make sure they dont wander off topic etc etc. there are pages and pages of islamic edicts and instrution form shiekhs, amirs etc on this topic. An employer may be rightly concered this will interfere with being able to operate normally in a place of business.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.