Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm currently at bog-standard sixth form and going to uni in october. I guess to some extent i've never really felt very in-touch with my peers (and indeed popular culture) but now it's starting to get to me. I have totally different musical interests to the vast majority of people (and i'm quite put off at parties by the music - regardless of how ridiculous that may sound), my personality is becoming increasingly incompatible to my friends, and in general I feel like there are very few people I can relate to anymore. I know it's probably me changing - not everyone else - but I can't help it.

I don't know what to do, really. Just now I was at a friend's with an (extended) group of friends, and pretty much all except for me are staying the night... yet unlike everyone else, I wasn't feeling it all. I don't drink much but I definitely wasn't in the mood for it tonight, which probably worsened matters given most people were having a fair amount (although not getting pissed). Still, I don't even feel like I have much reason to even talk, whatever I say is gonna be pretty useless smalltalk because although I try to just go with the flow if you will, I just end up totally uninterested in it all. Makes me feel they're hardly my friends but more like acquaintances...

I've told myself that being different is a good thing, etc. but now it just makes me worry about uni. If I'll have the same problems there and feel as out of place as I do now... I'm going to a (stereotypically) nerdy uni so maybe it'll be better, even though 'nerd' isn't necessarily a word you'd use to describe me. It's hard to describe me, but I struggle to believe that there aren't like-minded people to me out there. I've PM'd quite a few on here - if only they were my real friends. *sigh*...

I should probably add that out of about the 15 or so people who were there tonight, about 3 of them are actually fairly close to me and I get along with them well, but I still feel like im becoming distanced from them in some ways..

So, why did I make this thread? I guess some advice would be nice, given i'm at a loss of what to do. Should I just distance myself from my friends and focus on getting the grades I need for uni and just make a fresh start and try hard to connect with new people when I get there? Or should I just try harder to 'fit-in' now, as it were?

ReputationRep:
    In uni it's a totally different story . It's your chance to find yourself. I guess you get the chance to recreate yourself as no one will know you. You'll fit in don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That will most likely turn around at uni, especially if you join societies to meet like-minded people, such as music societies. Out of curiosity, what uni is this 'nerdy' one?

ReputationRep:
    what music are you into that your friends aren't

ReputationRep:
    Unis massive compared to sixth form , you'll be fine defo

(Original post by pandabird)
    That will most likely turn around at uni, especially if you join societies to meet like-minded people, such as music societies. Out of curiosity, what uni is this 'nerdy' one?
    That's what I think could be my saving grace really. And it's Cambridge If I get the grades, that is...

(Original post by Dilan97)
    what music are you into that your friends aren't
    Most of it - but the main bit is that much of the music they like, and play, totally turns me off. Whilst they all dance to it/get into it i'd just awkwardly sit and wish I was at home. Call me immature or a music snob or whatever, but that's just how I feel. I can't really stand most popular music nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    I know where you're coming from, I felt kinda like this a couple of months ago and it was nice to think that I'd be leaving some people behind (however I will be going to the same uni as them unfortunately =/). If it helps, I feel I am very unlike a typical person of my age group: I don't find drink or nightclubs (fat sams and the like) appealling in any sort of way (I've never had a drink in my life before and I'm 17), I find singing overrated as too many people think they can sing and act as if they are brilliant so I find singing boring. I like classical music (I play the trumpet), I'm happy to study as I feel I get clever and I get good grades/grades I need. So bearing all that in mind I'm quite concerned about freshers week lol!
    All I can say is this feeling comes and goes, there are good days where you get on so well with your friends, and bad days. I wouldn't totally drift away from them though, you need to spend the last few weeks of school with someone!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, feel free to PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's what I think could be my saving grace really. And it's Cambridge If I get the grades, that is...

Most of it - but the main bit is that much of the music they like, and play, totally turns me off. Whilst they all dance to it/get into it i'd just awkwardly sit and wish I was at home. Call me immature or a music snob or whatever, but that's just how I feel. I can't really stand most popular music nowadays.
    me neither i was wondering specifically what artists your into

(Original post by Eilidh.DearX)
    I know where you're coming from, I felt kinda like this a couple of months ago and it was nice to think that I'd be leaving some people behind (however I will be going to the same uni as them unfortunately =/). If it helps, I feel I am very unlike a typical person of my age group: I don't find drink or nightclubs (fat sams and the like) appealling in any sort of way (I've never had a drink in my life before and I'm 17), I find singing overrated as too many people think they can sing and act as if they are brilliant so I find singing boring. I like classical music (I play the trumpet), I'm happy to study as I feel I get clever and I get good grades/grades I need. So bearing all that in mind I'm quite concerned about freshers week lol!
    All I can say is this feeling comes and goes, there are good days where you get on so well with your friends, and bad days. I wouldn't totally drift away from them though, you need to spend the last few weeks of school with someone!
    Yeah I feel like I can totally relate to what you're saying. I had my first drink when I was 16 and tbh I only do on the odd occasion, you're not missing out on much imo. Mostly I just did it because I didn't want to be the only one not doing it.
    I listen to 1-2 classical pianists actually. I play guitar but what I play is a different matter - largely folk and blues, and occasionally jazz but I usually listen to it instead because frankly it's pretty tricky.
    I think with freshers you've just gotta go all out and try as hard as you can - that week is gonna set up your uni life, in many ways.
    But no, I won't drift off too much I totally get what you mean about good days and bad days. It's just that I don't think I would miss many at all. Add to that, 1-2 seem to actively dislike me which gets annoying at times.

(Original post by Dilan97)
    me neither i was wondering specifically what artists your into
    That's gonna be a long list XD But in addition to the jazz/folk/blues, I do listen to progressive rock, old-style rock'n'roll, and some more modern rock I do like but i'm a bit picky.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.