Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I tell my friends about my anxiety? Watch

Hello,

I've been suffering from anxiety for a while, but never really wanted to believe it and in all honesty I'm starting to realise that it's getting worse. It's not something that is going to go away on a whim, it will keep coming back and with a vengeance. I'm tired of running away from it and I need to talk to someone. I will start up counselling but I want to have someone to talk to outside of the therapy room. I want to tell my best friend but she is a perpetual worrier and I don't want to bring her down because of it...I don't have many other close friends and don't want to risk losing any or being ridiculed behind my back because I told someone. I'm going to Uni soon and will need a stable friend at home but I'm scared that telling them will make me even more alone...does anyone have any advice? :confused:

I'm currently suffering from anxiety, I spoke to my doctor and received tablets for it, they slow your heart rate, reduce the anxiety feeling, nausea and generally help to calm you down so you can focus on what's important. Friends are super important, I was nervous about telling my friends but they were really supportive. I'm working towards university now, and feeling like I can cope a lot better!

My advice would be to tell them, I couldn't have got this far without my friends!

ReputationRep:
    I would say tell them. I got diagnosed with anxiety and depression recently. I've told all my friends and the way they treat me hasn't changed or anything (which I was slightly worried about). They're a big help.

I don't have that many close friends either so I can see why you'd be worried. But in my experience if you don't have a load of friends the friends you do have are very close to you. They'll probably be incredibly supportive

(Original post by Kayannk)
    I would say tell them. I got diagnosed with anxiety and depression recently. I've told all my friends and the way they treat me hasn't changed or anything (which I was slightly worried about). They're a big help.

I don't have that many close friends either so I can see why you'd be worried. But in my experience if you don't have a load of friends the friends you do have are very close to you. They'll probably be incredibly supportive
    I do really want to tell my best friend, who is like a sister to me...but she will worry about it all the time and I don't want to put her in that position... :/ I told one other "best friend" but we went out shopping together about a week ago and she told me indirectly through underlying tones that she had no intention of keeping in touch with any of us after I leave for Uni. She seemed to want a clean break...which hurt because I really thought that once she realised I do get anxious (though never been diagnosed) she would be a stable feature in my life, someone I can always talk to...but now I don't really know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I do really want to tell my best friend, who is like a sister to me...but she will worry about it all the time and I don't want to put her in that position... :/ I told one other "best friend" but we went out shopping together about a week ago and she told me indirectly through underlying tones that she had no intention of keeping in touch with any of us after I leave for Uni. She seemed to want a clean break...which hurt because I really thought that once she realised I do get anxious (though never been diagnosed) she would be a stable feature in my life, someone I can always talk to...but now I don't really know...
    Wow, that's rough, sorry about that. At the end of the day someone who'd just break off contact like that maybe isn't worth it. Your other friend, I would maybe tell her but just tell her you don't want her to worry too much. If she knows that her worrrying would make you feel worse and that you'd just appreciate support then it might be alright

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.